This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Remove Commercials while maintaining MCE and media device compatibility

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Prior to using MCEBuddy to remove commercials, I was using an automated utility to convert  .WTV files to .DVR-MS format.   These files play using MCE, WD TV Live Plus and on a PS3.

Per a previous discussion, I've been using the WTV Unprocessed profile as the least resource intensive and still compatible with MCE Recorded TV conversion.

The problem I ran into is that while apparently the WTV format has ac3 audio, after being processed neither the WD TV Live nor the PS3 will recognize the audio.  As perhaps a side note of interest, I have also found that the open source MediaInfo does not report on ac3 audio in these containers, odd that all would have the same issue.

I've been playing with the WTV profile to see if I can force it to convert the audio only to another format, so far mp2 seems to work in that it plays consistently and is reported by MediaInfo the problem is that play back on all three devices shudders.

Looking over the MediaInfo of one of the original programs that plays well and one that I've converted, almost everything looks identical as far as video except this stand out,  frame rate is 29.970 fps on both, but on the original media nominal frame rate is 59.940 fps, on the converted media nominal frame rate is 15.000 fps.

I have to suspect that it is the mp2 audio that is influencing the low nominal frame rate and that it would make sense that a low frame rate would produce a shuddering play back effect.  I also noticed that the audio bit rate in MediaInfo is listed as Constant and cannot help by think it should be variable to match the variable video?

[WTV Unprocessed]
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-async 1 -threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec copy
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec mp2 -ab 224k -ac 2
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec mp2 -ab 224k -ac 2
ffmpeg-ext=.wtv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true

Having a difficult time finding information on options for the ffmpeg-audioac3 parameter which I suspect needs adjustment.  Any insights appreciated.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

TRy this profile:

[WTV Unprocessed]
Description=Creates WTV (MPEG-2) files by copying the video directly. It does not resize, remove black bars, deinterlace your videos or select audio language. Use this if you have high quality HD recordings which don't need processing.
order=copy
copy-remuxto=.wtv
copy-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true

This will only with the latest BETA release due to a bug in the older ones. This should preserve the original audio and video.

Also you can override the framerate while remuxing, open mcebuddy.conf, under the ffmpeg remux section change -r <auto> to -r 60000/1001 or whatever you want it. You can do the same in your ffmpeg-video section also in profiles.conf

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I am running MCEBuddy 2.3.11 which has this fix: 25. BugFix: Fixed no audio in WTV files when commercial removal enabled ?

Logged into the ftp server to download 2.3.12 but the EARLY_ACCESS directory appears empty.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Continuing to experiment with 2.3.11 until 2.3.12 is available, this seems to produce usable but not stellar results and takes longer to process presumably because it is doing unnecessary transcoding:

order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec mpeg2video -qscale 2 -r 29.970
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec mp2 -ab 384k -ac 2
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec mp2 -ab 384k -ac 2
ffmpeg-ext=.wtv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Yes I will build and periodically put on there, check daily. I remove unstable versions hence sometimes you may find it blank for a day till the next stable BETA build

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I am unable to install either the 32 or 64 bit version of the latest BETA build from last night, tried on more than one system to be sure:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          1/26/2013 11:39:56 AM
Event ID:      11001
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          MCEBUDDY1\bserkez
Computer:      MCEBuddy1
Description:
The description for Event ID 11001 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Product: MCEBuddy 2.3 -- Error 1001. Error 1001. An exception occurred in the OnAfterInstall event handler of System.ServiceProcess.ServiceInstaller. --> Cannot start service MCEBuddy2x on computer '.'. --> The system cannot find the file specified
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">11001</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-26T16:39:56.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2980</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MCEBuddy1</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3304518942-2710621423-3673945271-1002" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Product: MCEBuddy 2.3 -- Error 1001. Error 1001. An exception occurred in the OnAfterInstall event handler of System.ServiceProcess.ServiceInstaller. --> Cannot start service MCEBuddy2x on computer '.'. --> The system cannot find the file specified</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>7B32344332424239442D454544422D343439442D414432322D3234434646443239423433457D</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I was able to download and install the latest BETA from this morning, Rebuild 1 and then I followed the suggestion from Thursday to use the simplified WTV Unprocessed copy.

I still end up with no audio.  I also notice that the original wtv files when viewed in explorer detailed view show the video length, the output wtv files from MCEBuddy do not,  my observations indicate there is trans-coding of some sort occurring.

Appears that the best option for compatibility is to use the ffmpeg transcoding with the -r option I posted earlier in this thread.

A remaining question is, as pointed out in another recent discussion, the transcoding is wtv -> ts -> wtv, in my case I need to end up with .dvr-ms as I would think would be common.  Is there a way to have MCEBuddy do wtv -> ts -> dvr-ms vs. having to add that wtv -> dvr-ms as a final additional conversion with wtvconverter?  This does not seem to be as simple as using ffmpeg-ext=.dvr-ms in the profile.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM
lightman2 wrote:

I was able to download and install the latest BETA from this morning, Rebuild 1 and then I followed the suggestion from Thursday to use the simplified WTV Unprocessed copy.

I still end up with no audio.  I also notice that the original wtv files when viewed in explorer detailed view show the video length, the output wtv files from MCEBuddy do not,  my observations indicate there is trans-coding of some sort occurring.

Appears that the best option for compatibility is to use the ffmpeg transcoding with the -r option I posted earlier in this thread.

A remaining question is, as pointed out in another recent discussion, the transcoding is wtv -> ts -> wtv, in my case I need to end up with .dvr-ms as I would think would be common.  Is there a way to have MCEBuddy do wtv -> ts -> dvr-ms vs. having to add that wtv -> dvr-ms as a final additional conversion with wtvconverter?  This does not seem to be as simple as using ffmpeg-ext=.dvr-ms in the profile.

Unfortunatley DVRMS is not a supported option nor will be in the near future, it's been replaced by WTV so there isn't much support it out there today.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Depends on what you mean by support, my experience to date has been the first step in working with a WTV file is to convert it to DVRMS, MCEBuddy is the first tool I've used that supports WTV natively.   Did more reading, WTV is a proprietary Microsoft format, I am thinking this might be why my media devices do not support it.

Just to close the loop, I have found these ffmpeg options work great in both my [WTV Unprocessed] and [AVI MPEG-2 Unprocessed] profiles:

order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec mp2 -ab 192k
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec mp2 -ab 384K
ffmpeg-ext=.wtv or ffmpeg-ext=.avi
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip

Perhaps over time as I figure out which recordings I want to watch on MCE or on a media device in another room, I'll use WTV conversion for MCE and AVI for the media devices, for now I am using WTV for all and then another tool to convert to DVRMS for those that I want to watch on the media devices, less efficient but easy to maintain.

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Excellent, hope you're using the latest BETA build to resolve some copy encoder bugs. I would avoid using -aysnc 1 as I've noticed sometimes it causes the audio to go out of sync.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I had to add the -async 1 other wise the audio was slightly out of sync.   I am using 2.3.12 Rebuild 1, I suspect this is not the latest.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM
if you're using mp2 you may want to add the option

2ChannelAudio=true

to the line to limit to 2 channels otherwise it might fail the encoding
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM
For clarity use this profile:
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec mp2 -ab 192k