This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

CRF profiles

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I'm new to MCEBuddy and was wondering if anyone can share a MKV or MP4 x264 profile that uses CRF rather than average bitrate encoding? I wanted to see if it may bring down the file sizes and see if it is worth it relative to encoding time. I see the quality slider in the conversion settings but I'm not sure what exactly to change in the MKV or MP4 profiles to make use of it. As far as I can tell, these all use ABR instead.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:32 AM

The quality slider changes the bitrate or quality scale, e.g. for ffmpeg it changes the -b or the -qscale in the profile.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

What I'm seeing though is that, at least in the 2.3.11 release, none of the MP4 or MKV profiles (in the profiles.conf file) use -qscale. Is it as simple as editing one of your profiles and swaping -b for -qscale?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

yes

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

You need to change for all encoders in the profile (e.g. if the profile uses order=ffmpeg,mencoder,handbrake, you need to change all 3)

Here are the options for each encoder tool

1. ffmpeg -> -b or -qscale

2. mencoder depends upon the codec being used, the codec options needs to change (e.g.  -x264encopts bitrate=1800)->

2.1 x264encopts -> bitrate or qp

2.2 xvidencopts -> bitrate or fixed_quant

2.3 lavcopts -> vbitrate or vqscale

3. handbrake -> -b or -q

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Thanks! I'll play around with it