This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

conversion process cuts 7% off the beginning of my video

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I have encountered a problem when doing video conversion. I created a profile to convert to MKV (2-pass encode) with the commercial skip turned off but when the program starts the conversion process (on both passes) starts at 7% and continues to 100%. When the finished video is played I noticed that it cut that first 7% (21 seconds off my 5 minute test video).

Any suggestions as to what is going on or what settings can be changed to prevent this?

I love the quality and ease of this program but need to figure this out.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:36 AM

There could be multiple reasons:

1. The profile skips the first 3 seconds of the video (-ss 3) to avoid corrupted videos starts

2. there may not be a key frame at the beginning of the video which may shave off a few seconds

3. Are you trimming?

All in all, you can remove the extras, but I don't understand why you're using using a short video? Are you testing it?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am testing it on a 5m10s DTV clip from the movie Arsenic and Old Lace recorded on Media Center. No trimming, no commercial skipping.

The reason for the short clip is to tweak the settings and not to spend hours encoding and not get the results I'm looking for.

I can understand your first two points but to lose the first 21 seconds doesn't seem right. Believe me, I watched the entire encode process and both passes started at 7% (which is 21 seconds of a 5 min. clip).

I guess I will have to take the plunge and try a longer clip and see what happens.

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM

try atleast a 30 to 60 minute clip with some advertisements in it.