Options to copy over XML or to not copy EDL, and multichannel audio

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Hello.

I use MCEBuddy along with DVRMSToolbox, DTBAddin and Comskip.

I have DVRMSToolbox running Comskip on my recorded TV shows (WTV). MCEBuddy will copy the generated EDL file from the source directory to the converted directory when it's finished. Since DTBAddin uses the XML for auto-skipping I'd like to see a feature added where it moves this file as well (only if you're not cutting commercials with MCEBuddy) so I can auto-skip in WMC.

If there is already a way to do this would someone be kind enough to let me know!

Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM
The latest BETA version does that. If comskip.ini is configured to generate the XML file, MCEBuddy copies that over as well. I'm sure you're gone through the forum discussion and seen the other threads on it.
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
So you're saying it will copy the already created XML file?

If I have:

E:\TV\Show.WTV
E:\TV\Show.EDL
E:\TV\Show.XML

Then MCEBuddy will copy both of those from the source directory to the converted directory?

If that's how it's supposed to work I'm not getting that on my end.

I'll get

E:\Converted\Show.MKV
E:\Converted\Show.EDL

And that's it.

And that's with DVRMSTB's copy of comskip.ini having xml output. I am simply using MCEBuddy (ATM anyways) to just do straight trancodes, not doing anything with commercial skipping in MCEBuddy (it's off).

EDIT: I'll add that I have a .NFO created with MCEBuddy (Extract MC information) as well.
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Tested and works with latest beta, upload your log file if it isn't working with the latest BETA build . (check your build)

EDIT: If MCEBUddy find a XML file after conversion it copies it - check your comskip.ini
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Let me restate this for clarity. If the SOURCE video has a XML and EDL file along with it, the XML file is used to get metadata about the file. The EDL file is copied into the working directory.

After the conversion, if Skip Cutting Ad's is checked, if MCEBuddy finds a EDL and XML file (which is generated using Comskip.ini) in the working directory it copies them both over the destination.

Your issue is that the XML file you have contains the commercial skipping data where as MCEBuddy uses it to extract metadata. So it's not possible what you're asking.
You only option is to not put an EDL / XML file, rather have Comskip analyze and generate one during the processing and them MCEBuddy will copy it over.
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Well I've achieved what I wanted with a bit of a workaround.

I'm a bit confused on the whole MCEBuddy reads a Show.xml for metadata. Wouldn't most users have just a Show.wtv file? MCEBuddy would/does grab metadata straight from the WTV file right? Maybe this is due to DVR-MS not having metadata embedded? Or possibly for other PC DVR solutions that create a XML containing metadata. I don't know but I'm sure you do :).

So I now have MCEBuddy running well. I'm having it put its converted files in the same directory as my recorded TV. DVRMSToolbox watches this directory, and by telling it to parse whatever container MCEBuddy is converting to (in my case MKV), I get my desired results (EDL along with a XML with commercial skip data).

Off topic, I wasn't able to get 6 channel audio in my converted videos, even with the multichannel audio checkbox ticked. Changing the ffmpeg-audio parameter in profiles.conf took care of that issue. This was using the latest beta dated 02/25/2012.

Thanks for helping me out!
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
The XML file is created by MediaPortal for TS recordings which is used to download and extract metadata.

Elaborate the Multi channel issue?
If you're using a profile with ffmpeg and AAC then 6 channel audio is disabled since ffmpeg AAC encoder does not support it. All others should work. For ffmpeg try using ac3 instead of lib_aac and it should work (remove the -ac 2)
Mar 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I should have been more specific, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance here. I'm using the MKV High Quality profile, which defaults to ffmpeg, and I have "Multichannel audio" checked.

ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec ac3 -ac 6 -ar 48000 -ab 384k

That's the line I use under the MKV High Quality profile. The 48 kHz argument may be redundant. I only record HD content, so I'm assuming HD broadcasts (I'm on Charter) use 6 channel audio (SD content may as well). If a broadcast is only 2 channels I'd assume the ffmpeg-audio line would be used, instead of ffmpeg-audioac3 (otherwise why would there be two lines for audio?).

With that line above, before I changed it, it looked like this:

ffmpeg-audioac3=acodec ac3 -ab 384k

Adding "-ac 6" sets 6 channel audio. This resolved my MCEBuddy converted videos having only 2 channel audio.

Also, by using "Default" under Audio language, MCEBuddy will keep all audio streams (this is normal, as you know). If I set that to English (eng), my converted video will revert to 2 channel audio. If I keep "Default", I'll get 6 channel audio.

I've been fighting with DVRMSToolbox (with DTBAddin), Comskip, and MCEBuddy for awhile now (I use donator versions of all of these) on a Windows 8 machine. I could very well be just missing a simple step somewhere, making this process more difficult than it needs to be.

Hope this helps some.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM
ffmpeg-audio is used when the input is non ac3
ffmpeg-audioac3 is used when the input audio is ac3

Read the documentation for more details

-ac is written by MCEBuddy based on the number of inputs channels, MCEBuddy matches the number of input channels to output channels. So if the input audio has 2 channels, the output audio will have 2 channels.

If you want to override the default behaviour then include the line

-ac X

X being the number of channels you want. REMEMBER, aac encoder does NOT support 6 channel audio and will fail the conversion.

So when you added -ac 6, this forced MCEBuddy to ALWAYS encode the output as 6 channels even if the input was 2 channels (which makes no sense since you're extrapolating data).

When you select Default language, MCEBuddy tries to keep all the audio tracks. If you select a language MCEBuddy will try to select the language track which matches that name (if it find a match in the name), and if it finds multiple audio tracks with the same name it will keep the track with the most number of channels.
To find out which language tracks are within a file, when the file is in the queue, right click and select MediaInfo, it will show you the various audio tracks and the language (in brackets). That's what's used to match the audio track language name.

Again, refer to the documentation for more details.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:58 AM
I've fixed the pop up help for Audio Language in the conversion settings page in teh next Build.
Mar 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Cool thanks for all the assistance.

As you've noticed, most of my issues were due to not reading up, and double checking my issues.

I was not doing the job of checking my source videos for what audio tracks were available. Your software works exactly like it should, now that I'm checking over what's what. Your documentation is very well laid out, and now that I've read it, everything is making sense, and my questions could have been avoided by doing my homework.

Regardless, you are very kind to assist, and I thank you!