This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Preconversion commercial removal?

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Can someone instruct me on if/how I can remove commercials prior to conversion? I have comskip supporter version and generally convert cable wtv to mkv. Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Open to documentation page on the advanced commands you will find a flag that you can set to cut the commercials prior to the conversion

On Mar 13, 2013, at 11:01 AM, "jkgiant" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Can someone instruct me on if/how I can remove commercials prior to conversion? I have comskip supporter version and generally convert cable wtv to mkv. Thanks.
Mar 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Thanks. I see the flag - PreConversionCommercialRemover=true.

Is there a reason why this is not the default value since it will just fall back to post-conversion removal if it fails?
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM
That's true. As mentioned in the documentation sometimes there is an artifact at the point of cutting which us why it is not the preferred option but an acceptable option if post conversion is not working. Like you said it falls back to post conversion if it an encounters an error.

Also this is the default mode for some file types which are not supported post conversion such as wtv

On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:09 PM, "jkgiant" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks. I see the flag - PreConversionCommercialRemover=true.

Is there a reason why this is not the default value since it will just fall back to post-conversion removal if it fails?
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM
question - why do you want to remove commercials before the conversions?
Mar 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Just trying to reduce conversion time by not converting commercials.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
okay, interestingly if you're using a mencoder based profile (with the CC extracting disabled), Mencoder skips the commercials while encoding, so that's the FASTEST way to do it.
Mar 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Interesting. I have been using ffmepg as my default profile because I thought it was the fastest.

So, using a mencoder profile, do I need to set preconversion commercial removal back to false to allow mencoder to do the commercial removal? Any other settings to change in MCE Buddy, or extra mencoder commands to add to the profile?
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
yes you need to set it to false. Unofrtunatley it isn' that black and white. Yes ffmpeg encoder is a very fast encoder but I think handbrake is the fastest encoder followed by ffmpeg and then mencoder.

But anyways you can play with the order settings and see and post your results where which one overall works fastest for you