WTV (Unprocessed) Profile

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I tried MCEBuddy for the first time this weekend and i love it. I set it up on WTV (unprocessed) profile which i hoped would leave the video in the same format, just remove the commercials, however when the videos are done they are the proper file size but there is only audio. The commercials are gone but they don't play in Windows Media Player or Media Center. When i look up the video codec info in MediaInfo and the video codec information is different, like the video is being processed. I read about checking your MPEG2 decoder, however i can watch the original WTV files just fine. So basically, am i using the correct profile to get unprocessed video? What can i change to be able to play my converted WTVs?

thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:14 AM
try the regular wtv profile and see if that works.

If the file size is properly then it's likely you've installed some 3rd party codecs that have broken windows wtv playback (like shark codecs). Search the forum for similar threads.
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM
rboy1: Thanks for the reply. The file sizes match the original, minus some for the commercials that were removed. i understand that there are various codecs, but if i can play the original WTV files on my computer, why can't i play a WTV file w/ the commercials removed. I want the unprocessed WTV with just the commercials removed.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM
You need to ask teh ffmpeg forum that. WTV is a propietary closed format, those folks have done a great job to reverse engineering it but it's not perfect. Open a bug on ffmpeg.org and post your converted file there and hope they find out what's going on.
Mar 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM
AH! That explains it! i assumed it was exactly the same video stream w/ just the commercials cut out. I tried it on the regular WTV profile and it plays in VLC, MCE but not WMP. but that's good enough for me. Thanks for the clarification!
Mar 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I am a new user as of this week as well. I am also seeing that Media Center does not play WTV (Unprocessed) format. My Media Center simply crashes. I don't even get the audio. I have checked the ffdshow video decoder config and both MPEG2 and MPEG2 in AVI are using libavcoder by default. ffdshow is the only codec I use as I prefer not to use any but let MCEBuddy install when I ran the set-up.

Anyway, I will also try the WTV profile instead.

I have the same goal is the OP and also prefer to keep the processing time to a minimum. I would actually prefer to use the EDL Files to be able to manually skip over the commercials. I trued to set this up using DVRMSToolbox years ago and it made my machine very unstable. I was very pleased to see how quickly MCEBuddy seemed to automatically configure this for me. I have tested it converting to MKV and it works great. Unfortunately but the conversion time is a bit slow and I am unable to get Media Center to recognize the files.
Mar 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM
never mind
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Thanks to DjJustin for sharing this fix, I'll post a separate thread on it. Uninstall KB2670838 Update and WTV will start working on MCE and WMP again. As usual Microsoft breaks something.
Sep 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM
so does this fix all the other challenges with MCbuddy created WTV's? Can you fastward, 30 second skip, etc? I've been out a while, just checking back in on the progress. I'm about to break down and get video redo, but before I shell out $95, I wanted to see what progress has been made over the last 6 months, and if FFDshow has been cooperating with the bug fix requests.

I Appreciate all of your hardware and development of MCE buddy.
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
There have been some fixes. Would be best if you downloaded the latest beta and check with a sample if it works for you.

Also read the sticky thread on the WTv not working after an update from Microsoft and how to uninstall the update to get it working.

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM
FYI update, for those facing this issue, the FFMPEG team has done an awesome job of fixing this and providing support for the latest WTV format. You can download the latest ffmpeg build from ffmpeg.org and replace it in your mcebuddy installation and it should work.

Alternatively wait for the next build of mcebuddy.
Dec 29, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Edited Dec 29, 2013 at 4:08 AM
rboy1 wrote:
FYI update, for those facing this issue, the FFMPEG team has done an awesome job of fixing this and providing support for the latest WTV format. You can download the latest ffmpeg build from ffmpeg.org and replace it in your mcebuddy installation and it should work.

Alternatively wait for the next build of mcebuddy.
just to confirm.

does this mean KB2670838 is no longer an issue, and we can have this Microsoft update AND MCBuddy co-exist ?
Coordinator
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM
That is correct.

In addition, the new MCEBuddy build has updated to the new custom built ffmpeg and added the necessary code changes to support H.264 in WTV as well.
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM
that's excellent news thank you and well done to the FFMPEG team too.

now, i'm unsure about the talk here about "support H.264 in WTV as well".

i thought "WTV Unprocessed" meant it would remain MPEG2, or whatever the original broadcast stream was ?

does this mean WTV Unprocessed is now.....processed ?

i don't understand :(
Coordinator
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
So while WTV as a container can support H.264 video (and many HD tuners today record H.264 HD broadcast directly to WTV), unfortunately due to certain limitation MCEBuddy could only support MPEG2 in WTV earlier.
So H.264 WTV source videos needed to recoded to MPEG2 WTV and Unprocessed WTV profiles would not work with H.264 source files.

Now MCEBuddy can support both H.264 and MPEG2 in the WTV container.

Now with the H264 in WTV support, there are 2 WTV profiles options are:
  1. WTV Unprocessed - stream copy the source video (MPEG2 or H264) and audio (v/s earlier only MPEG2 support)
  2. WTV - Now stores H.264 as the encoded video in WTV (v/s the earlier MPEG2 encoded video)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 12:59 AM
Dec 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM
rboy1 wrote:
So while WTV as a container can support H.264 video (and many HD tuners today record H.264 HD broadcast directly to WTV), unfortunately due to certain limitation MCEBuddy could only support MPEG2 in WTV earlier.
So H.264 WTV source videos needed to recoded to MPEG2 WTV and Unprocessed WTV profiles would not work with H.264 source files.

Now MCEBuddy can support both H.264 and MPEG2 in the WTV container.

Now with the H264 in WTV support, there are 2 WTV profiles options are:
  1. WTV Unprocessed - stream copy the source video (MPEG2 or H264) and audio (v/s earlier only MPEG2 support)
  2. WTV - Now stores H.264 as the encoded video in WTV (v/s the earlier MPEG2 encoded video)
wow, that is even more excellent news, MCEBuddy gets even better !

thanks again RBOY1 :)
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM
WTV (Unprocessed) rocks! This is exactly what I envisioned for how removing Commercials should work. (I'm glad the issues were overcome recently)

I just posted some questions in the following thread but it's more related to this WTV Unprocessed thread.
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/430738

I donated and I have the new Feb 2014 beta 15 installed.

Do we still need to check "Skip remuxing files" under Expert Settings? (or is this setting useless once you pick Unprocessed WTV? It warns about comskip not working though which defeats the whole purpose of using MCEbuddy. What about "Skip copying originals" that sounds like it would speed up time as well.

On the main Task page if unchecked Rename and sort since all I want it to do is removed commercials and leave the file name as close to the original as possible. Will Windows Media Center still obey the maximum number of shows it should keep? For example if I have Media Center set to only keep a maximum of 5 original Conan episodes, will Media Center still delete the new unprocessed commercial skipped WTV files as they grow past the maximum 5? I'm trying to confirm how MCEbuddy will keep my hard drive from becoming full. (just making sure)

So agian, Will MCE still delete old shows since we are leaving the files WTV? Here are my best guess settings. (did I miss anything?)

It seems like Skip copying original files would speed things up, safe enough?
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Don't know, never tried it. I'm not sure if MEdia Center only deletes recordings it creates (in your case since you aren't renaming it could work).

SKip coping and skip remuxing are options which are created for the brave. They have been extensively tested and coded carefully so it should work in most cases but again, there are risks since it isn't compatible with every underlying program. E.g. when you don't remux and if the source file is WMV, Comskip will not work, ccextractor will not work etc. CCExtractor does not work on WTV files, Comskip DONATOR version works. So really it's an advanced option for folks who KNOW what they're doing and how MCEBuddy works.

Skip copying is also generally safe (in none of my tests have I had an issue), but it could be some permutation we didn't anticipate or test which could have side effects. Hence the caution.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2014 at 1:57 AM
rboy1 wrote:
Don't know, never tried it. I'm not sure if MEdia Center only deletes recordings it creates (in your case since you aren't renaming it could work). SKip coping and skip remuxing are options which are created for the brave. They have been extensively tested and coded carefully so it should work in most cases but again, there are risks since it isn't compatible with every underlying program. E.g. when you don't remux and if the source file is WMV, Comskip will not work, ccextractor will not work etc. CCExtractor does not work on WTV files, Comskip DONATOR version works. So really it's an advanced option for folks who KNOW what they're doing and how MCEBuddy works. Skip copying is also generally safe (in none of my tests have I had an issue), but it could be some permutation we didn't anticipate or test which could have side effects. Hence the caution.
This had me worried until I kept reading past what doesn't work. When you followed up with "Comskip DONATOR version works." I had a sigh of relief. This feature alone is worth the $20 donation ;-) Hopefully others read this so they learn what the latest and greatest MCEbuddy Beta 15 can do.

So since my own goal is to remove commercials from native Windows 8.1 Media Center WTV files. (quick cuts, no remuxing, no copying) It sounds like I came back to try MCEbuddy at just the right time! (since 15 supports true WTV Unprocessed)

I remember reading about MCE buddy a few years ago when WTV was still not supported in any way shape or form. It's come a long way since then. (excellent)

I'll report my findings after I let it run awhile. I'm going to enable both Skip Copying and Skip remuxing.