Conversion Tasks Command Line Question...

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
How hard would it be to allow a Conversion Task to just execute a command line function?

In the case of the .TiVo files theoretically I could have had MCEBuddy run a command on just .tivo files and output the .mpg back into the monitoring folder and then get processed as a .mpg. A feature like that would give users a place to experiment.

I know MCEBuddy won't be able to tell when that job is finished and as far as MCE cares it is done, but the user would have to understand that and if they won't another task to be performed then they'll have to output the file back into a monitored folder.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I don't understand why you want to convert teh tivo to mpg. MCBuddy takes care of it.
Mar 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I was just using that as an example. But lets say a couple years down the road and you've moved on and you are not further developing MCEBuddy. A feature like this would allow us to script another commandline tool to process a file into a format that we know MCEBuddy handles very well.

One example is if I had another process that generated a .txt or .csv file I could use the folder monitoring feature of MCEBuddy to execute something else to be done with that file. I would suspect it would be easy to add variables to this commandline feature so the %filename% could be sent to the command line.

Another example would be say you normally like to have your computer reboot every so often just to clean it out. You could create a windows task manager job to write a file to a monitored folder on a schedule and when MCEBuddy processes that file it triggers a task manager job to reboot the computer. This allows you to make sure that you are not in the middle of processing a file during that reboot.

I could think of several useful situations where that feature could come in handy. I'm sure there are other tools out there that could sit on top of MCEBuddy and do some of this, but if I'm going to have MCEBuddy running 24x7 why not allow it to do some other things besides just video.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM
interesting concept, far from what mcebuddy was designed to do. I can setup an interface for a pre-conversion command line like the post conversion command line that exists today but you need to detials out what you're looking for and at what time, there will be lots of boundary conditions to look at.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM, hayesmd <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I was just using that as an example. But lets say a couple years down the road and you've moved on and you are not further developing MCEBuddy. A feature like this would allow us to script another commandline tool to process a file into a format that we know MCEBuddy handles very well.

One example is if I had another process that generated a .txt or .csv file I could use the folder monitoring feature of MCEBuddy to execute something else to be done with that file. I would suspect it would be easy to add variables to this commandline feature so the %filename% could be sent to the command line.

Another example would be say you normally like to have your computer reboot every so often just to clean it out. You could create a windows task manager job to write a file to a monitored folder on a schedule and when MCEBuddy processes that file it triggers a task manager job to reboot the computer. This allows you to make sure that you are not in the middle of processing a file during that reboot.

I could think of several useful situations where that feature could come in handy. I'm sure there are other tools out there that could sit on top of MCEBuddy and do some of this, but if I'm going to have MCEBuddy running 24x7 why not allow it to do some other things besides just video.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I did not know about the post conversion command line, I just read about it in the documents. Do the post commands still execute on a 'Rename and sort files only'? If so, most of my above scenarios would still be feasible especially since you can link a conversion task to a monitor task.

I'll play around a little and report back. From the documentation there's no way to tell MCEBuddy to execute a command and just continue is there? Maybe something like CustomCommandHangPeriod = -1 means executes command and instantly reports successful instead of it waiting around for something to complete.
Mar 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I just tested a command line program that converts a .csv file to anything and the post conversion does not fire if the 'Rename and sort files only' is checked.

What about a simple option like the 'Rename and sort files only' that says 'Execute Custom Command Only'? Users can then in theory if a new video format is released create a monitor task linked to a conversion task that executes a CustomCommand that converts the file to a format that is supported and drops that file into a monitored folder to be processed just like everything else.

Ultimately, I could envision MCEBuddy being the media "Postal Worker". Meaning, someone has a set of folders that are monitored by MCEBuddy and when a file arrives MCEBuddy looks at it and says "Your an image file, you go here.", "Your a music file, lets see what kind you are and run a CustomCommand to convert you to the users preferred format and put you over here in this folder.", Your a video file, lets get you processed and placed in your folder.", "Your some other file, lets match you up with your Conversion Task and send you on your way."

Honestly, A rudimentary version of this could be done simply by having an option for only executing a custom command and nothing else taking place.