how do I embed subtitles when converting from WTV to MP4?

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Hi,
I know on the homepage it states MCEBuddy can embed subtitles... I've looked at the settings, read the tutorials, and feel horrible having to ask because I cannot figure this out. So.... how do I get MCEBuddy to embed (as in hard code, burn to image, etc) the subtitles in a WTV file into the MP4?

Much thanks
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Subtitles are embedded as a file into the conversion when extract CC (closed captions) are enabled. Either the recording has a srt file along with it or the WTv has closed captions.

You will need a player which supports subtitles embedded into the mp4, mkv or m4v file like kmplayer or configure ffdshow to display subtitles for wmp.

Mcebuddy does not burn subtitles into the video.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Ok, that makes sense, thank you.

How would I add the -sub <filename>.srt option to mencoder so that mencoder will burn the subtitles into the video?

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
you can use custom commands post conversion to do it..

You can try to add -sub to the mencoder-video section, you will need to guess the SRT filename which will mostly likely be <original_recording_name>.srt

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
The SRT file is being extracted by MCEBuddy as part of the normal process. It is that SRT file that I want to burn into the video. In the mencoder-video section of the config file, how do I add the <original_recording_name>.srt? Is it just like that, so I would add:

-sub <original_recording_name>.srt

?
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
no - unfortunatley there's no provision for that currently, I'll try to include something in the next release to support replacement parameters

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Awesome, thank you very much!
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Okay I've added support for special commands in profiles in the next Build, quoting from the documentation:

Inserting Special Commands (v2.3.12+)

You can get MCEBuddy to insert special commands in the 4 sections of the profile

• <encoder>-general
  • <encoder>-video
  • <encoder>-audio
  • <encoder>-audioac3

The following special commands will be replaced by MCEBuddy at runtime:

• <source_without_ext> - Source filename without extension
  • <source> - source filename
  • <converted_without_ext> - Output filename without extension
  • <converted> - Output filename

E.g. mencoder-general = -srt "<converted_without_ext>.srt" -ss 3

will be replaced at runtime with:

mencoder-general = -srt "c:\temp\Test File.srt" -ss 3

NOTE: MCEBuddy does not put quotes around the replacement parameters, some command expect quotes to be sure to put quotes where required.