This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Converting UK Freeview files - Aspect Ratio

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I'm new to MCEBuddy but have spent some time reading the documentation

I am having problems converting .WTV files containing content from UK Freeview channels.

My second problem is aspect ratios.

My first test was for a BBC1 program which converted with the divx profiles to 720x576 and displays as 16:9 in MC7, however my second file was an E4 file and when converted using the same profile I get a 528x576 file which when played in MC7 has black bars down the sides (the original file plays full screen).

I have tried a new profile

ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vf yadif=0:-1,hqdn3d -vcodec libxvid -b 1200k -f avi -flags +mv4+aic -g 300 -bf 1 -aspect 16:9

But it made no difference

Any ideas?
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Instead of aspect try disabling the cropping. This can be found in the advanced settings of the conversion task page or you can include it in the profile directly. Refer to doc

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I have run a test with cropping disabled and it hasn't made a difference to playback.

Looking through the log the original file seems to 528x576 and is not being re-sized or cropped, so it is reasonable to have an output file with the same dimensions, however, when played in MC7 as a WTV file it is stretched to full screen with no margins, when I play back the converted DIVX AVI file in MC7 whilst there is stretching, it is not full screen, so I am wondering if there is some sort of flag in the original that is not in the converted file, or if there is, it has the wrong value.

Whilst this file is the most extreme, I have noticed that a couple of the other files I have converted have had odd dimensions, e.g. 704x576 and these are not stretched to full screen either, it is only if the file is 720x576 that it works, so I am guessing that they are defaulting to 16:9.

I don't think it is the solution that I am looking for but is it possible to change the dimensions during conversion in MCEBuddy?
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM
By default MCEBuddy uses handbrake of mencoder to detect the cropping which is why you get wierd dimensions like 704x576. You can disable cropping by checking the relevant box.

coming to the DivX, this is a very funky thing, Windows WMP and MCE don't exactly have a great support for AVI and DivX formats. AVI is a very messed up container and in my experience it depends heavily on the player. E.g. the same file look stretched in WMP but plays perfect in KMPlayer. Try using KMplayer to see if you still face the issue (BTW KmPlayer can correct aspect ratio's manually if required).

If that work tahtn you can change the ffmpeg-video section and correct the aspect ratio manually with the command you want. Please check out 3 things from teh ffmpeg documentaition page:
1. SAR
2. DAR
3. Aspect

All 3 have a relationship and determine the final aspect ratio. MCEBuddy tries to compensate the final aspect ratio based on the original aspect ratio. So if the original is incorrect (while it may play properly) the final file will be incorrect.

When playing with the resolution, cropping, SAR/DAR etc it is advisable to set 2 flags in the profile
1. SkipCropping=true
2. FixedResolution=true

refer to teh doc for more info