Changing the order of tasks

May 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I love MCEBuddy but have a question about compound tasks. The way I found your software was to solve a problem I was having recording programs on Telemundo. They have English captions on CC2, but MCE doesn't show them - nor did any other software. With yours, I could extract the CC2 stream and then re-burn the program with the captions embedded (I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do this....but we'll get to that).

Now I'd like to also delete the commercials. The problem is, if I do it all through MCEB, it seems to extract the CC2 first and then extract the commercials and rebuild the video - which means the captions are not synched after the first cut. What I'd ideally like to do is delete the commercials first, and THEN extract the CC2. I tried to tweak the config file, but that didn't help.

Also, it would obviously be even better if I could do everything in a batch - cut the commercials, extract the CC2, and then rebuild the video with the CC2 showing (or perhaps redefining the CC2 stream as CC1).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
May 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I should add that I've been building the result video as DIVX avi since I have a DVD player that can play those files raw.
Coordinator
May 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM
if you're u sing the latest BETA build then the closed captions should be in sync with the commerical cutting. There are 2 parameters used to adjust the timings of the closed captions (one static offset and one incremental offset which you're referring to). See the documentation for more details on the 2 parameters in mcebuddy.conf

Regarding your request, use PreConversionCommercialRemoval=true in your profile to remove commercials prior to extracting CC's

May 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I'm using the latest version and did it the first way you suggest, but the CCs get more and more out of synch as the video goes on - so obviously it's not accurately compensating for the cut commercials.

I tried putting the PreConversionCommercialRemoval=true into my profile but it didn't seem to help. Here's what I have:

[DivX AVI Fast]
Description=Good quality, 1 pass DivX / Xvid AVI (XVid/AC3) conversion, good for SD videos. Much faster conversion, more resilient to errors in the video but a creates a larger file.
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vf yadif=0:-1,hqdn3d -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid -b 1800k -f avi -flags +mv4+aic -g 300 -dts_delta_threshold 0
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec ac3 -ab 160k
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec ac3 -ab 256k
ffmpeg-ext=.avi
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemoval=true

Should I change something else or add it earlier in the string?
May 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I just went over the final video and it seems to me that by the last segment (after 4 or 5 commercial segments have been deleted), the CCs are delayed by roughly 50-60 seconds. They are in synch at the start of the video and lags more and more after each cut (after 2 commercial breaks, it's about 30 seconds behind).

That's why I'd like to cut the commercials first and then extract the CCs - if that's possible. It seems logically that would solve the problem.
Coordinator
May 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Can you upload the original video to the server. It will be easier to replicate. Also upload your mcebuddy.conf

What settings have you played with?

May 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I would except the original video is from Media Center in wtv format and about 6GB.

I haven't altered the mcebuddy.conf file - only the profiles.conf to add the PreConversionCommercialRemoval tag. Did I alter the wrong file?
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I will not be able to help much without the original file. I need to debug this. Upload it over night into a folder.

Meanwhile let me know what Build of MCEBuddy you're using, open any log file and look for the build date/version.

Also did you check this in the documentation:

SubtitleSegmentOffset=x.x (v2.3.12+)

This parameter is used when the subtitles go progressively out of sync after commercials are removed from the video. This happens because when a video is cut, the video is aligned with the next GOP and I Frame sequence which can be a few seconds away from the actual cutting point. Hence each time the video is cut the subtitles get progressively out of sync with the video. This setting is used to bring the subtitles back into sync with the video. Each time the video commercial is cut out, the subtitles are time shifted by this amount (+ve or -ve in seconds), hence bringing the subtitles back into sync with the video segments.

E.g. SubtitleSegmentOffset=5.4
May 10, 2013 at 2:58 AM
OK, I can upload it overnight. Where/how can I upload it to the server?

I'm using MCEBuddy 2.3.12
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM
upload it to ftp://mcebuddy.dyndns.org
login: mcebuddy
password: mcebuddy

Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Post back when it's complete with the details
Jun 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
OK, I couldn't post because I was somewhere where I did not have the machine with me that got the digital feed to be converted. So I do have a sample now to upload. It was a 45 minute segment of a show on Telemundo with subtitles and I think 3 commercial breaks. The clip I have I did cut the commercials, extracted the CC2 and then burned them back in. Near the beginning of the program, someone says something at 2:41 and the subtitle for that line shows up at 2:57. So that's like a 16 second delay till the subtitle shows. Near the end of the clip, someone does something at 20:18 and we see the correct subtitle at 21:09.

Right now with this version of MCEBuddy, I haven't changed anything in the profile. So I'm willing to try whatever you think should be next. Or if you'd like me up load something, just let me know what to upload. The original videos is 3.5GB, the resulting video is 346MB. There is also the small SRT file. I'm processing using the Profile XVID Fastest and, as I said, have not gone in and made any manual changes.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM
upload hte original video and I'll try to replicate it. other try playing with the SubtitleSegmentOffset paramters. If you're using the latest BETA build you can do this from the Expert Settings page (Settings -> Expert Settings). Try setting it to 15.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I'm heading to bed, but I will set the 3.5Gb file to upload and maybe it will go without interruption (fingers crossed) and I'll try tweaking it the way you suggested when I wake up. Then we can compare notes! By the way, for the CC (subtitles) settings, it's Field 2, Channel 1.
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I don't see any uploads taking place, what folder/file are you uploading?