1080p video for Roku with multichannel audio

May 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has experience getting mcebuddy to work with Plex streaming to a Roku for 1080p video.

I've tried using both the High Profile Mp4 and High Profile MKV profiles (I understand that the roku has some issues with mkv) with multichannel audio turned on and the maximum width slider set to 1920. The Roku just sort of hangs on these files. If I set plex to transcode down to 720p then it does fine. Also if the src WTV file is 720 to begin with the files seem to play fine. I have also tried playing the files on the Roku over usb and they have the same result. It just seems to hang.

Is there anything I can tweak in the profile to make it work?

Thanks for the help.
May 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Also, I am using the latest beta ( and have also tried the latest stable version).
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Apparently there's a nother user who's reporting issues with roku playing back 1080p resolution. So the only change you're making is the resolution slider and it start working?
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Try using M4V profile (no B Frames) and other users are reporting it works fine. You can either edit hte MP4 profile to remove bframes from it or use the M4V profile (and if required, edit he profile to rename the extension to mp4)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 9:18 AM
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Also note that Roku does not support more than 4 references frames (MCEBuddy uses more frames in some profiles).

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/workitem/1858
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/14/2014 at 5:47 PM
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM
With the new build today there will be a new Roku compliant profile to make things easier. Just a note while it support AC3 5.1 channel audio some older Roku devices with old firmware may not support multie channel ac3 audio. For those devices turn off multi channel audio in the conversion task settings.
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Can this new profile be used with Plex/Amazon Fire TV?
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Don't have fire tv to test it. Try it out and let us know. Also I am expecting the normal mp4 profile to also work with firetv given its a very new piece of hardware.

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Okay I checked FireTV specifications, https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/media-specifications

The standard MP4 profile should work fine for FireTV. For Kindle Fire however we'll make a customized profile in the next build