This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Copy protected WTV files

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM
I'm looking for some folks who can help me test some code to see if MCEBuddy can convert copy protected files.

I need someone who's willing to install MCEBuddy on a Windows 7 MCE machine, i.e. SAME machine where the file was recorded. This is a must.
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I would be willing to test some code. I have a Win 7 MCE machine that has MCE Buddy installed on it.
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Okay can you try this.

do you have access to the latest 2.3.13 Release?

Take any profile you're using (in profiles.conf) and add the following line at the end:
ForceWTVStreamsRemuxing=true

Then open the Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Expert settings page and check Ignore Copy Protection.

Try to run the conversion of a WTV protected file using the above customized profile on the SAME COMPUTER WHERE IT WAS RECORDED. The last part is VERY important, it WILL FAIL on any other computer due to DRM protection issues.

Let me know if it works and if not can you post the log file.

thanks.
Jul 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I have tried what you suggested. I put the ForceWTVStreamsRemuxing=true line at the end of all my MP4 profiles (high quaility, normal, fast) and then I checked the appropriate box in expert settings. I manually added some copy-protected wtv files to the cue. The program seemed to work. It did create mp4 files in the destination directory, however it was converting them very quickly. Upon looking at the converted files, they were only 1 or 2 seconds in duration. Here is a link to the logs:

http://sdrv.ms/16Ow2RP

Let me know what to try next, thanks.
Jul 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM
The conversion look fine, it appears that you're starting with very short videos between 4 and 9 seconds to the resultant is between 1 and 6 seconds (which is correct since the profile strips the 1st 3 seconds).

Can you try with a 10 minutes video and see if you can play back the output.
Jul 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Ok, well then something is going wrong. Those were not short 4-9 second videos. All the files I tried to convert were 30 minute standard definition video files recorded from Win Media Center (yes, the same machine where MCE Buddy resides). All the files were approximately 2GB in size. All the episodes play correctly in their entirety through Win Media Center. These lines are from the log of the 8/22/2012 recording:

Line 167: File size -> 1.925781 GB
Line 205: Original file size [KB] -> 2,019,328.00
Line 225: Video duration = 3.96

Somehow the conversion process is reporting the video duration incorrectly.
Does this make sense?
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM
hmm that could be correct. Can you try some other channel - once we know teh video time is reported correctly then we can see the end.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
I tried two more files.

The first one is from a different channel. It is a 60 minute Breaking Bad episode recorded from the channel AMC. The video duration in the log file reports 3954, approx 65 minutes, so that part is correct. However it did not convert successfully. A line near the end of the log file reads "ERROR> 2013-07-03T18:56:51 MCEBuddy.Transcode.Convert --> Unable to convert file"

The second file is from the same channel as my first test. The channel is FX. It is an episode of The League, 30 minutes in length. Again the log file reports a video duration of 7.47 seconds and produces a 4 second video.

I have added both log files to the same directory which you can get to from the link in my previous post. I hope this helps, thanks.
Jul 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Can you try using the TS unprocessed profile? Be sure to add the extra line to the profile before running it.

The TS unprocessed profile will essentially just remux it and dump it.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I tested the TS unprocessed profile, but it failed.

ERROR> 2013-07-04T04:44:21 MCEBuddy.RemuxMediaCenter.RemuxMCERecording --> TsMuxer Streams Muxing failed

The file I tried had the following log file name: Breaking Bad_AMC_2012_07_22_19_58_00.wtv-conver to TS-2013-07-03T23-20-51.8689831-06-00.log

I have posted the log and the profiles.conf file to the same share for your review.

Thanks.
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Has there been any progress on this issue? Is there anything else I should try?
Jul 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
You've been very helpful. The logs were great. Am trying to see how to do this. Windows is tough to work with drm. Am exploring sdk options to work with drm files. It may not be possible but will keep trying

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Is there any update on this item? Have been messing around with my HTPC for several weeks and this is my last stumbling block. Have recordings from TWC via HDHomeRun Prime using Windows Media Center. Records great but unable to watch on TV because of the stupid 'Copy Once' flag.
Sep 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Sorry there is not legal way around the copy protection and encryption for WTV files.

The only other option is to try and use another software like MediaPortal

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I have seen MediaPortal. Do you have any information about how to use MediaPortal to view the MCE recordings?
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:11 AM
What I meant is use MediaPortal to record the videos. I don't think MediaPortal encrypts the video. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM
That's not going to work with copy once channels (encrypted), mediaportal would also need to get around DRM.