Copying file to working folder?

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM
In version 2.3.12, if you leave the "temp folder" blank, MCEbuddy does not appear to take any time to copy the file being worked on to another folder. However, in both 2.3.13, there does not appear to be an option to leave the file in the same directory.

I'm running MCEBuddy on a computer connected usb to an external HD. Simply copying a 7GB TS file on the HD to another folder on the same HD takes about 50 minutes. Is there anyway to avoid this step? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Sorry I don't understand, in 2.3.13 are you saying you can't leave the temp folder blank?
Files are only copied to other folders if required, ie. essentially if the source file is a TS file then it copied (all other files are remuxed to TS, so no copy of required).
If temp folder is blank the temp folder is the MCEBuddy installation folder.
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
In 2.3.12, the file does not appear to be copied to another folder at all, as per the logging. In addition, the conversion process is much shorter than it would take to actually copy the file to another folder on the same external HD. 2.3.12 will convert an hour (~7gb) .ts file in about one hour at . When 2.3.13 or 2.3.14 run, no matter what I put in the "temp folder", including leaving it blank, MCEBuddy always attempts to copy the file over to that directory, which on my setup would take a few hours even without conversion so that's unacceptable to me.

Can I send you the log files somewhere?
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM
There are known bugs in 2.3.12, upgrade to 2.3.13 or 2.3.14
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM
This behavior only exists in 2.3.13 and 2.3.14. In those versions, my TS files are copied (which takes hours only to copy), whereas in 2.3.12, the file is not copied and the conversion proceeds smoothly and much quicker. There is no way to NOT have the TS file copied in 2.3.13 or .14?
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM
sorry not possible copying is important since it might end up overwriting the original file which can cause disasters

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Was this behavior changed from 2.3.12 to the later versions?

Is there anyway to allow an option to pick whether or not we want to copy the source or not? On a networked HD, copying a 6gb file can take a few hours, which is just not realistic. I'll have to stay on 2.3.12 otherwise.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM
It was a bug in 2.3.12 as I had explained, it isn't supposed to NOT copy it to avoid a conflict. Copying 6GB from a network drive takes me about 10 minutes or less. What kind of network are you using?

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I just tried this again on my HTPC that is connected to a usb 2.0 external HD through a router (the router is hosting the HD). Anyway, I put the temp folder on the external HD. Just COPYING a 1.5 hr .ts file (~10GB) took 1.5 hours before mcebuddy could even then work on the file. That's just not going to work. I guess I'll stick to 2.3.12.

No chance of making this an option in the later versions (with a warning that this could be dangerous even?)
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I've rechecked the code, MCEBuddy ONLY copies when ABSOLUTELY nexcessary to do it.
e.g. when the source file is a TS AND ( Commerercials are being removed OR File is being trimmed) OR File is being Renamed ONLY OR The source file contains a Zero Channel Audio track.

Under the above conditions if the source TS file is NOT copied it WILL destroy the original TS file which can be a probblem for you if the conversion fails since you will lose the original file. (all other types of file are remuxed so copying is not necessary).

If you're NOT removing commercials and NOT trimming the video, it will NOT copy your file.

So really the choice is yours:
  1. Use 2.3.12 - you risk the chance of losing your original file if the conversion fails
  2. Use 2.3.13 - don't remove commercials or trim the file
  3. Get a better router/WiFi HD (routers hosting HD's are notoriously slow, my Asus RT-N13U is pathetic at hosting a HD) - I use a standard N wireless router and intel N card and I can copy a 1.5GB file in under 10 minutes over the network
It's not a question of whether I can do it, it's a question of what will happen if I do. That was a pretty serious bug I fixed in 2.3.13.
Changing the code to ask what you're doing is a hack - but that's okay, unfortunately from my experience I know it will create other issues and folks will come back to me with more questions and problems related to it. It really wont help you or anyone to break a basic functionality - it's not worth it.
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hi rboy1

I've hundreds of HD WTV files (5TB) and have tried to "rename only" and "extract mc info", but no commercial remove, no trimming, but still the original file is copied to the working path and later back to the destination path which takes a while (v2.3.12). Why does this happen?

If I understand your answer above, a copy is necessary to avoid loosing the original file:
  • if the source file is a TS AND (commerercials are being removed OR file is being trimmed)
  • OR if file is being Renamed ONLY
  • OR if source file contains a Zero Channel Audio track
I understand the risk with a conversion fail but why a copy is need for "Rename ONLY"? The only problem I can think of is that a files with the same name already exists, but why not doing a quick check before renaming and if one exists write an error to the log and leave the file as it is?

PS: Really nice tool, a bit uncommon GUI for beginners and a german translation which should be removed - locks like an automatic translation.

Thanks, Chris
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
It's not the destination. Many users want the option to retain the original file (including while renaming). Also it's keeping in sync with the overall architecture. MCEBuddy will not alter the original file. The only exception to that is if the user selects the delete original button then after the conversion/renamin g/processing hte original file is deleted.

Would it help to have an option in the conversion task advanced features to skip copying? I will put a lot of warnings around it.

Also thanks for your feedback on the GUI, I too have felt it's a bit unusual and confusing. Any suggestions on what was confusing when you first used it or how you think it can be improved?

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
On the translation, yes it's automated but you can override it with manual correction by creating a de-fixed.txt file (see the thread for how to write translation files) and MCEBuddy will correct it at runtime using your file.
If you're planning to fix it (which would be GREAT) please send it back to me so I can include your fixes in teh next build.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It would be super useful to many of us to at least have the option to skip copying. I would greatly appreciate it personall thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Okay done, you'll find the option in the next BETA build under expert conversion settings.

Now 2 other points:
1. What can be done to make the GUI simpler/easier?
2. Can you correct some of the german translations?

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Hi rboy

One first idea is to completly separate the file monitoring/selection from the file conversion tasks to make it more like workflow: first select, second convert. This would be easier for new users:
  • on the main screen keep all buttons for the "Selection" above the file list including "Rescan", "Add", "Delete" but also "Settings" for the monitor settings, maybe also "Clear history"
  • all buttons for the "Conversion" below: "Start", Stop", "Priority" and "Settings" for the conversion task
  • Maybe a third sections for the "Advanced Settings", "Events/Logs" and "Close"
  • Maybe some of the Advanced Settings like "Delete original file" should belong to each task
OR combine the conversion task with the separate monitor location, each tasks has it's own monitor locations, their Setting dialogs would need to be combined. This would be better for advanced users.

Some other wishes:
  • Some way to to change the conversion queue list row width
  • Use a separate windows for "General advanced Settings" instead of the drop down increasing window
  • Increase the conversion task window to show all the settings as they often need to be changed at the same time OR maybe some group of seldom used settings can be hidden with the drop down function (scheduling, sleep)
  • The new option "Retain original file" should be near to other "file selection options" and maybe next to the "Delete original file". Of course some option must be disabled if anther one is selected or if the conversion tasks demands it.
  • The context menu from the conversion queue list is nice, but is "Save Metadata" the same as "Extract MC information"?
  • The context menu from the conversion tasks list I didn't find myself. I would also expect a chechbox in the advanced settings.
Btw: your tool is really great, my wishes have no meaning of question the quality - sorry for my english. I will try some german translation later.

Chris

Von: rboy1 <[email removed]>
Antworten an: <[email removed]>
Datum: Samstag, 24. August 2013 15:35
An: Christoph Mezger <[email removed]>
Betreff: Re: Copying file to working folder? [mcebuddy2x:452760]

It's not the destination. Many users want the option to retain the original file (including while renaming). Also it's keeping in sync with the overall architecture. MCEBuddy will not alter the original file. The only exception to that is if the user selects the delete original button then after the conversion/renamin g/processing hte original file is deleted.

Would it help to have an option in the conversion task advanced features to skip copying? I will put a lot of warnings around it.

Also thanks for your feedback on the GUI, I too have felt it's a bit unusual and confusing. Any suggestions on what was confusing when you first used it or how you think it can be improved?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM
This is very interesting, I see where you're doing with this, let me rethink on the flow of the work and accordingly redesign.

Regarding the second option to merge conversion task and monitor tasks, that would actually reduce the flexbility and functionality of MCEBuddy. Today they are independent, each file identified by a monitor tasks is available to ALL conversion tasks (Many to Many relationship). if they are combined then it becomes one to one relationship. However by using the Select Monitor Task button you can link specific conversion tasks to specific monitor tasks, (One to Many relationships or Many to One relationships).

I relooked the delete and archive buttons, there is a logically challenge in moving them to the conversion task. Suppose you have 3 conversion tasks, in one task you mark Delete Original, the second task you mark Archive Original and the third Task nothing (retain original). What should MCEBuddy do? They are all working on the same file.

You're correct, Save Metadata is the same as Extract MC information, should I rename Extract MC Information as Save Metadata? The idea was to be able to allow folks to extract the metadata before the conversion (from the queue) so they could use to to edit the files, but I think you're right, it may not be useful and may end up confusing users.

I can make the enable/disable tasks as check boxes.

Your english is fine and I really apprecaite your critique and inputs. Otherwise MCEBuddy wouldnn't get any better.
Aug 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I understand the flexibility of n-to-m relation, but users have to be 100% sure what they are doing especially if there is a delete option somewhere. I was in the same situation (that time I haven't found the disable function) so I've put an invalid file name match pattern into the other tasks…

Could you show how many files each location selects and how many of those files each conversion tasks will work on? Actually I think a too difficult concept. As a user I would prefer a n-to-1 relation and if I need another conversion I would not mind to select the locations again, which anyway could be a different one – maybe the destination path of the previous task.

Also an order of the tasks is needed and a possibility of reordering them (moving up/down).

All these gives you even more flexibility AND the safety what's really going on.

Chris

Datum: Sonntag, 25. August 2013 15:48

This is very interesting, I see where you're doing with this, let me rethink on the flow of the work and accordingly redesign.

Regarding the second option to merge conversion task and monitor tasks, that would actually reduce the flexbility and functionality of MCEBuddy. Today they are independent, each file identified by a monitor tasks is available to ALL conversion tasks (Many to Many relationship). if they are combined then it becomes one to one relationship. However by using the Select Monitor Task button you can link specific conversion tasks to specific monitor tasks, (One to Many relationships or Many to One relationships).

I relooked the delete and archive buttons, there is a logically challenge in moving them to the conversion task. Suppose you have 3 conversion tasks, in one task you mark Delete Original, the second task you mark Archive Original and the third Task nothing (retain original). What should MCEBuddy do? They are all working on the same file.

You're correct, Save Metadata is the same as Extract MC information, should I rename Extract MC Information as Save Metadata? The idea was to be able to allow folks to extract the metadata before the conversion (from the queue) so they could use to to edit the files, but I think you're right, it may not be useful and may end up confusing users.

I can make the enable/disable tasks as check boxes.

Your english is fine and I really apprecaite your critique and inputs. Otherwise MCEBuddy wouldnn't get any better.
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I see your points, let me think on how I can do this, it would require a major redesign of the current architecture.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM
A simple but good lesson I've learnt during my years as a software developer: describe the concept accuratly with words. If you can do this easily, it's a good solution, if it's difficult to describe or needs to many ifs and ors, there might be something wrong.

Datum: Sonntag, 25. August 2013 17:53

I see your points, let me think on how I can do this, it would require a major redesign of the current architecture.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM
Edited Aug 27, 2013 at 5:37 AM
A big "me too" here in that on the latest beta bits with a rename and sort only job it insists on copying to the working folder, renaming and then copying back to the recording drive.

I selected the wtv-unprocessed profile and checked the sort and rename only box.

I want to rename and sort so Plex will pick up the files properly...

I'm a newb with this tool, so I freely admit I may have borked something...

EDIT: figured it out. found the don't copy option in the bowels of an advanced settings tab...
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Already been done in the latest beta

Coordinator
Sep 5, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Okay thanks for your feedback, I've taken some of your points and I've simplified the GUI. See in the next BETA release 20130409.

Folks this open to all for feedback.

clibo wrote:
Hi rboy One first idea is to completly separate the file monitoring/selection from the file conversion tasks to make it more like workflow: first select, second convert. This would be easier for new users: on the main screen keep all buttons for the "Selection" above the file list including "Rescan", "Add", "Delete" but also "Settings" for the monitor settings, maybe also "Clear history"all buttons for the "Conversion" below: "Start", Stop", "Priority" and "Settings" for the conversion taskMaybe a third sections for the "Advanced Settings", "Events/Logs" and "Close"Maybe some of the Advanced Settings like "Delete original file" should belong to each task OR combine the conversion task with the separate monitor location, each tasks has it's own monitor locations, their Setting dialogs would need to be combined. This would be better for advanced users. Some other wishes: Some way to to change the conversion queue list row width Use a separate windows for "General advanced Settings" instead of the drop down increasing windowIncrease the conversion task window to show all the settings as they often need to be changed at the same time OR maybe some group of seldom used settings can be hidden with the drop down function (scheduling, sleep)The new option "Retain original file" should be near to other "file selection options" and maybe next to the "Delete original file". Of course some option must be disabled if anther one is selected or if the conversion tasks demands it.The context menu from the conversion queue list is nice, but is "Save Metadata" the same as "Extract MC information"?The context menu from the conversion tasks list I didn't find myself. I would also expect a chechbox in the advanced settings. Btw: your tool is really great, my wishes have no meaning of question the quality - sorry for my english. I will try some german translation later. Chris Von: rboy1 <[email removed]> Antworten an: <[email removed]> Datum: Samstag, 24. August 2013 15:35 An: Christoph Mezger <[email removed]> Betreff: Re: Copying file to working folder? [mcebuddy2x:452760] From: rboy1 It's not the destination. Many users want the option to retain the original file (including while renaming). Also it's keeping in sync with the overall architecture. MCEBuddy will not alter the original file. The only exception to that is if the user selects the delete original button then after the conversion/renamin g/processing hte original file is deleted. Would it help to have an option in the conversion task advanced features to skip copying? I will put a lot of warnings around it. Also thanks for your feedback on the GUI, I too have felt it's a bit unusual and confusing. Any suggestions on what was confusing when you first used it or how you think it can be improved?
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I've made some changes to the code and file handling. In the next BETA build ALL operations (with the exception of commercial detection) will happen in the temp directory, this will fix the multiple file issue you are facing. This is not mean that the original file will be copied, but instead the output of all operations will be targetted at the temp directory.
I've made some further improvements to the performance by reducing the number of network read and copy operations. So now essentially most of the work will be done from the local temp directory rather than going back to read the original network file each time.

If you use a network drive you will see a huge improvement in performance when checking the do not copy original file box. Also now it will NOT ovewrite the original file which will improve performance and be relative safe operation.
But BY NO MEANS IS STILL A 100% SAFE operation. It can still have undocumented side effects.