This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bitrate Decrease

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I have been looking for other posts related to this, but i was never able to find out the answer. What i am doing is taking a wtv file and converting it to mkv and posting it to my plex media server. This process works well but some recording have to high of a bitrate for my roku to handle. The video plays back but when there is a spike in the video it distorts for a few seconds then goes back to normal. I looked up the spec for mkv files for the roku which has a max bitrate of 8 mbps avg and a peak at 12 mbps. So i looked at the bitrate of my recording from especially from USA and ABC Family and they are at 11.5 mbps to 13 mbps. So i want to know how to lower bit rate to below 8 mbps. I am currently using the MKV uncompressed profile. I have tried specifying the bitrate made no difference, i also tried moving the quality slider and removing the fixed resolution perameter. But i don't want to use the MKV high quality profile because the convert process takes significantly longer and there is sometimes no audio or audio is out of sync.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM
If you're using a standard profile then moving the quality slider down will reduce the bitrate.

If you're not using a standard profile, publish the profile here (use the code quotes) to see what's going on
Aug 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I am using the following profile. I have tried moving the quality slider but it does not have any effect on the bitrate.

[MKV Unprocessed]
Description=Creates MKV files by copying the video directly. It does not resize, remove black bars, deinterlace your videos or select audio language. Use this if you have high quality HD recordings which don't need processing.
order=copy,ffmpeg
copy-remuxto=.mkv
copy-audiodelay=skip
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec copy -map 0:a -map 0:v
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec copy
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec copy
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true
AllowH264CopyRemuxing=true
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM
you're using the copy codec and then remuxing it to mkv. Ofcourse nothing with work, it's just a copy and remux operation there is no transcoding or recoding happening here.