This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Call MCEBuddy from the command line?

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Is there a way to invoke MCEBuddy from the command line to convert a specific file using a specified profile?

I record using Argus TV and would prefer to have it launch MCEBuddy as a post-processing step, rather then having MCEBuddy running as a service and constantly monitoring the folder.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
No not as of today, if you'd like I can look at providing a command line interface that will let you essentially click the "add" button to add a file to the queue. MCEBuddy will keep running the background as a service et al, only it'll provide a CLI interface to add a file to the queue.

Is that what you're looking for? (though I think in that case it'll just be easier to setup a monitor task)

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Thank you for the fast reply!

Yes adding to the queue via CLI would be helpful. I did not realize initially that MCEBuddy always ran as a service. Is this different from the "Engine"? Ideally I would like a process to kick off the conversion only when called via CLI, then exit, but now I see MCEBuddy doesn't really work that way.

Regardless, I think adding the file to a queue via CLI would be preferred, because I don't want MCEBuddy to try to pick up a file while ArgusTV is still recording it. It also seems like there would be a slight performance advantage to tell MCEBuddy when a file is ready, versus having a process constantly checking the folder.
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM
to be honest it's no difference at all. First the "engine" is a service running in the background, the GUI is just hte front end for configuration, manual operations and status reporting.

the engine is configured to monitor folders for new files. This happens every 5 minutes (it can be configured), so it's no overhead really.
Secondly, if the sofware is till being recorded MCEBuddy will detect it (it checks for file locks and access) and does not attempt to convert a file being written to. So it'll come back when it's done, lsatly you can configure MCEBuddy not to process a file for "x" hours after it's created in settings.

However adding a commandline prompt to add a file manually will create many issues for you, for one it'll add overhead each time it's called since it needs to setup a new connection wait to establish and then add the file to the engine. Plus it will no be able tow arn you about issues if it's a network file.

Just wondering what hte advantage of this would be over settings up a monitor task?

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:26 AM
To me it just seems cleaner to have it triggered, since Argus TV already knows exactly when the file is created, versus just checking. Im running this on my desktop PC, which I use for a variety of purposes, so I try to keep the running processes to a minimum.

However it is obvious you have put a lot of thought / work into this, and have a user base who also likes how it works, so I'll try it using the monitor solution.

Some background I probably should add is that I'm just using MCEBuddy to run comskip and cut out the commercials, so it is a fast process and I'm not using most of the advanced features of MCEBuddy. I initially attempted to write my own batch file to handle this task using comskip and ffmpeg, but read lots of problems about sync issues, and being a newbie to video, it seemed better to let MCEBuddy handle it.