This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

accessing network folder

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:01 AM
I thought I remembered somewhere in the discussion that this had been addressed already, so I apologize in advance.

I can't seem to get the new version (2.3.14 beta) to write to my network folders. If I recall, I need to use the proper format/syntax for the destination machine/folder, and I can't seem to get it right.

I vaguely recall needing to be ".\servername" or something, and the period or the number of backlashes made a difference. I'm pretty sure I have the credentials right, as I'm able to log in with them on the WHS2011 server.

INFORMATION> 2013-10-17T13:28:16 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Moving converted file to destination
INFORMATION> 2013-10-17T13:28:16 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Moving converted file C:\Temp\working0\S02E04-You're No Angel Yourself.mp4 to \COKROSERVE\Recorded TV\Nashville\Season 02\S02E04-You're No Angel Yourself.mp4
--> Unable to move file C:\Temp\working0\S02E04-You're No Angel Yourself.mp4 to \COKROSERVE\Recorded TV. Error :System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
at MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob.MoveConvertedFile(String subDestinationPath, Log jobLog)
ERROR> 2013-10-17T13:28:16 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Moving converted file to destination failed
INFORMATION> 2013-10-17T13:28:16 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob -->

Any suggestions?
Oct 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Manual says that you have to provide same credentials in MCEBuddy configuration that you use for mapping the network share.

After going back and forth triple checking my credentials, It did not work so I just export to a local share and then use Sync app to move the converted file to mapped SMB share.

I was able to write to the same network share with 2.12 version, but I like goodies introduces since too much to go back.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM
ckronengold - the format is
\\Servername\Share\Folder\
vladik007 are to u still facing issues with your network drive after specifying the network credential in your conversion task?
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Rboy1- is there anything in that error code that suggests if its a credentials problem or something different?

vladkik007 - thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't mapped the network drive at all. The WHS2011 server is accessible as a shared computer with accessible folders on the network, but I didn't map it to a drive on the machine running MCEBuddy. Its just the destination folder.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
share your mcebuddy.log to see what's going on

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
ok. will post from home later today.
Oct 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Edited Oct 19, 2013 at 3:10 AM
rboy1 wrote:
share your mcebuddy.log to see what's going on
https://app.box.com/s/ynr3ylesf3tnurnsb67q

Thanks!
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:14 AM
I need MCEBUDDY.log (which will show the connect error), unfortunatley (but thanks anyways) you've sent me the conversion log file.
Also I noticed your' using a domain. Have you setup a domain or is the username a local user on the remote machine you're connecting? If it's a local user on the remote machine you should leave the domain blank (and definitely not a double slash).
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:14 AM
sorry 'bout that.
here ya go.
https://app.box.com/s/w3tcakbe7ynpbqrr3i6h

I have not formally set up a domain, no. I'm running MCEBuddy on my main machine, and just has access to the folders on the WHS2011.
I am not logged in as a user on the server, but I have set up both MCEBuddy and my regular username as users on the server.

I'll admit to being a total luddite when it comes to networking, though.
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:26 AM
looks like getting rid of the domain solves the problem.
https://app.box.com/s/fof270aqwcvlfrjx1l08

successfully had MCEBuddy just move the file without doing anything.
seems like it worked.
Nov 14, 2013 at 3:24 AM
not sure whats up, but for some reason I've lost the ability to write to the same folders on my network that I had previously.

logfile:
https://app.box.com/s/wzs4lz7n0ysnqfzmebcw

no changes were made that I'm aware of. Conversions still work, but the converted file isn't being moved to the destination network folder.

is there a better way I can set this up?
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM
here's the log from the same file but a different computer in my house.
I believe they are set up the same way, with the same user info entered into MCEBuddy, but this one works and the other doesn't.

Any chance you see where the error is?

https://app.box.com/s/ipcu7t115oavo1yaeeuw
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
This is because there is no username and password defined for the network share:

--> Unable to connect to network location \Htpc8\f htpc video\Recorded TV\MCEBuddyArchive
Domain name:
Username:
Password:

In previous version so MCEBuddy if you had mapped the network share in Windows Explorer or authenticated by connecting directly to it used to be okay. But this was an inherently flawed strategy since MCEBuddy runs as a Service with a Service account while you are connected to the network machine using your local logon account. I.e. they are 2 separate users, so while it would work sometimes, most times it would fail to work.

Now MCEBuddy authenticated by itself against a network share using a Service account to ensure better reliability (and the correct way to do it - the mapping was really a "hack").

What you need to do is simple, Open each conversion task -> Reenter the destination folder and when you click okay or move to the next setting it will prompt you for a username and password automatically. If you are using a Guest account just enter Guest as the username with no domain and no password. But IT IS IMPORTANT TO ENTER ATLEAST GUEST (if you're using another account set, the username and password accordingly). You don't need to enter any domain unless you're using a domain controller.

Then REBOOT THE COMPUTER ONCE. This is important since mapping are setup when the computer starts. It'll start working. If you change the username and password, you will need to reboot the computer (or atleast log off and log on again) so that the old username / password are disconnected and then remapped (this is a WINDOWS limitation and NOT MCEBuddy).

It should work now.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:11 AM
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Will do, but thats odd.
that snippet is from the one that worked, not the one that failed.

I'm trying to write the converted file to Destination Path -> \COKROSERVE\CoKroPool\TV Series, my server.

The conversion and writing to the server from the first log had failed. That was from HTPC8 writing to \COKROSERVE.
This was mcebuddy.log (the first one I posted), and the file "F:\Recorded TV\Nashville_WABCDT_2013_11_13_22_37_08.wtv" is the same as referred to as "\Htpc8\f htpc video\Recorded TV\Nashville_WABCDT_2013_11_13_22_37_08.wtv" in the mcebuddy2.log file.

I copied the file to the 2nd machine's desktop to try again:
C:\Users\Corey\Desktop\Nashville_WABCDT_2013_11_13_22_37_08.wtv
I thought I had manually cancelled the task that was reading the file off of HTPC8 machine, but it looks like I cancelled the local task off the desktop?

My confusion, I guess, is that I thought that the problem was that the instance of MCEBuddy running on HTPC8 wasn't able to connect to the server.

From the first log, mcebuddy.log
2013-11-13T22:48:31 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Attempting to connect to network share \COKROSERVE\CoKroPool\TV Series
--> Unable to connect to network location \COKROSERVE\CoKroPool\TV Series
Domain name:
Username:mcebuddy
Password:*****
Return code is 67
The network name cannot be found

But from the 2nd log:
2013-11-14T08:48:12 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Attempting to connect to network share \Htpc8\f htpc video\Recorded TV\MCEBuddyArchive
--> Unable to connect to network location \Htpc8\f htpc video\Recorded TV\MCEBuddyArchive
Domain name:
Username:
Password:
Return code is 1219

So the first log is the problem where HTPC8 can't connect to the server, but the 2nd log seems to show that the 2nd machine can't connect to the first, where the recordings are being made.

Guess I'm just confused.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
In one case the netbios name resolution appears to have failed. Try using the IP address instead. In the other case the authentication details are missing.

Don't forget to log off and log on after entering the updated details.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM
logging off. damn. need to do that and test again.
will also try IP addresses, since those are static within my domain.
use IP address in the DOMAIN field?
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
No domain is ONLY to be used if you're using a domain controller for authentication

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Even if you've shared the folder with EVERYONE, you must enter "Guest" as the username (no password and no domain) to authenticate against a server with Shares for everyone.