This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

How does MCE Buddy decide to scan to HD or SD?

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM
How does MCE Buddy decide to scan to HD or SD?

I have a bunch of WTV files. The shows are older SD shows but recorded on an HD station.

The first group of shows convert very slow and I see they are now HD format. These shows did not start on time so they have some HD commercials and / or previous show up front.

The second group converted very fast but to SD. These shows started on time.

If I know I am converting an SD show, is there any way to force MCE buddy to convert as SD?
Nov 9, 2013 at 5:35 AM
It doesn't decide, it tries to use the faster option available. Are you on 2.3.12 or 2.3.14?
And when you say scan, do you refer to remuxing or commercial detection? if it's H264 video then commercial detection is very slow with the standard comskip, you need to purchase the donator version to speed it up.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 9:04 AM
Nov 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I am currently on .12. Recently made a $25 donation. Waiting for PW. No rush I understand you will get to it when you can. I won't post my whole email but it starts with Bruce.

What I meant was the whole conversion in general. For one video it went fairly fast. The only thing I saw different was it started right off in the show as opposed to having HD shows or commercials at the beginning of the video.

And yes I am converting H264 wtv files.

Is there any way to force it to use SD?
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
you should have received your login/username, check your spam folder (don't know why the emails keep doing that, if you're using gMail please mark as NOT SPAM so that it will learn a pattern for other users also - thanks).

Yes, that's the issue, with H264 you will need the donator version of Comskip speed things up. I had requested Erik to atleast add basic support for H264 which he did and I really appreciate it otherwise it would have taken even longer :))

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Here's another tip - if you've got H264 video most profiles convert to H264, you can use the MP4 Unprocessed profile in 2.3.14 to speed up the conversion, virtually down to 0. It'll just cut the commercials and ZIP through the encoding. Again you should consider getting the donator version of comskip to speed up the detection
Nov 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I sent a $10 donation via the comskip site. Will I receive similar login id and pw like you sent me? (the email was in the spam box just like you said along with all of the notifications from this site and a number from xbmc) Once I have the donator version. how do I configure comskip? Is it documented somewhere? Sorry did not install .14 yet as I am copying some large wtv files from pc to pc so maybe it is obivious in 14?
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I got my access! What version do I want to download for mce buddy?
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM
the latest version, either you can overwrite the comskip directory in the mceubddy installation folder or you can extract it and use the expert settings in mcebuddy to point it to the donator comskip folder.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Got everything installed. I downloaded comskip from the donator site, and overlaid the files in mce buddy's comskip directory. I also tried the custom comskip dir feature in expert settings.

I am not seeing the MP4 unprocessed profile. I see a wtv unprocessed and an AVI MPEG2 profile unprocessed but no MPEG4 unprocessed.
Nov 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Download the latest 2.3.14 beta

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Yeah I am an idiot. :) Sorry, I never noticed I was running 13. :(