Is it possible to change the Temp directory

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Hi all - firstly, just wanted to say thank you. MCEBuddy is a great application. I couldn't be more grateful. You guys pewp awesomeness.

Second, I wanted to ask if there is a way to change my Temp directory to a shared folder on my NAS (a folder that requires credentials to log in). I have the folder mapped in Windows with the username and password saved (I just click on it through Windows Explorer). My plan is to use this directory for the Temp directory.

The reason being is that my NAS hibernates. After MCEBuddy is finished encoding, it goes to save the file to my NAS folder. If my NAS is awake (i.e. Im watching a TV show in another room), then the file gets saved without a problem. If its in the middle of the night and the NAS has hibernated, the MCEBuddy file saving process fails because the NAS does not wake up fast enough and MCEBuddy doesnt wait for it to wake. I used to lose all my files and all that encoding time if the NAS was hibernated!!!! Luckily I found the backup option (i.e. save converted file in source folder if saving fails" etc).

However, Im thinking that if I change the Temp directory to a NAS folder, that MCEBuddy may wait for the NAS to wake up before starting the conversion, and when MCEBuddy goes to save the final file, the NAS will already be awake and it wont fail.

So my questions are:
1) Can I change my Temp folder to a mapped network folder?
2) And if so, will MCEBuddy wait for the NAS to wakeup before starting the conversion?

Thank guys!

TempWorkingPath=xyz (v2.1.2+)
This parameter is used to manually specific the temp working directory for MCEBuddy, i.e. xyz. By default MCEBuddy uses a directory called working within the MCEBuddy installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\working) (it will make multiple directories if using multiple simultaneous conversions with a number at the end for each parallel conversion, e.g. working0, working1 etc). This has to be a complete working path with rights to be able to create, modify and delete files/directories else the conversion might fail. This parameter should come under the section [Engine] in the conf file.

E.g. TempWorkingPath=D:\Temp\MCEBuddy
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Yes look under expert settings

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:09 AM
Nov 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Yes look under expert settings
I know you can change the folder, but will this work to solve my hibernation problem?

Also, would I type in TempWorkingPath=\192.168.1.XXX\Temp

You sure this will handle the log in credentials and everything? You sure the NAS will wake when the conversion/encode starts? Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM
No it doesn't handle authentication for temp folder, you can open a feature request for it. But if you destination folder is the same machine as the temp folder the conversion task should handle the authentication before the task starts.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2014 at 8:09 AM
This will be fixed in the next release, temp folder will use general authentication under Expert Settings
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Added support for using network path with authentication for temp folder, connects using authentication from Setttings -> Expert Settings -> General Authentication

Use the next 2.3.15 BETA build
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/1/2014 at 9:17 AM