This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCE Buddy Optimizing FX-6300

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2013 at 4:34 AM
In order to speed up MCE buddy converting Windows Media Center 7 files to MP4, I installed a AMD FX-6300 6 core 3.5 Ghz (turbo 4.1 Ghz).

What are the optimal number of threads (# of videos to process)? I'm trying to do two MCEBuddy video files at once but seeing even in the final converting video file stage only ~40% CPU utilization. [solved MCEBuddy low priority seams to be the problem, normal does use all open CPU cycles but occasionally causes the Media Center to hickup during video playback] This seams odd since on my i5-2500k It always hits 100% even doing a single video file.

update is available for computers that have an AMD FX, AMD Opteron 4200, AMD Opteron 6200, or AMD Bulldozer This is reported to give a 10% increase in some applications.

Also I see at many points that disk performance seams to be a limiting factor. 80GB SSD boot drive does not have enough free space for movies but it does for tv shows so I'm stuck always using the slower spinning WD Red Drive.

Any ideas or what you have found to work well would be appreciated.
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM
you can turn of free space check in Expert Settings if you like, but it's dangerous.
Optimal thread is 1 per core to avoid CPU resource blocking, (MCEBuddy for hte most automatically sets the threads based on number of CPU cores, but you can override that in the profile by setting the threads=xx options)
What you're facing is a IO blocking issue, the answer is get a faster hard disk for your temp folder
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:06 AM