This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP 1:

Uninstall from Control Panel failed:
Error message "Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed"

Manual uninistall failed:
Error message "Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed"

Search drive C: for "mcebuddy"
Search returns all files with search string in name plus all files converted by mce buddy.
  Same error message after converted files are moved from drive C: to another drive.
  Same error message after converted files are moved to another computer.
Is the product registered online ? Is there a hack ? Help !
Coordinator
Dec 14, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Never seen this before, something in your install is corrupted. Try this:

Follow the clean install instruction on the documentation FAQ installation page. (follow the exact same order)

Now Open the registry -> Run -> regedit
Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Look for MCEBuddy Key and delete the entire Key.

Now it's a clean uninstall and try to install it now.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2014 at 9:00 PM
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Thanks for taking the time to look into this problem. I just found out that MCEBuddy is opensource ... YAY !!! But not the source to the installer ... BOO !!! I thought it would be pretty easy to search the code for the error message string, and then to
learn what condition(s) cause the message to be emitted. Someone has access to the installer, but who ? and how to reach him/her ?
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2014 at 2:56 AM
The installer is also part of the code under MCEBuddy.Service class. The error message you're seeing is from the Windows Installer, not MCEBuddy installer.
Simplest way is to do a CLEAN UNINSTALL as described in the Documentation COMMON issues thread (search on Documentation page)

Then open the registry and delete ALL keys with MCEBuddy. Now you shouldn't have this problem. Don't know why but I've noticed sometimes the windows isntaller messes things up.
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM
SOLVED !
After many attempts at the manual uninstall procedure, which includes the deletion of some MCEBuddy2x registry keys - all of them in subfolders of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ - I searched the ENTIRE registry for MCEBuddy2x keys.

Under the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Assemblies\ I found 11 keys common to old version 2.3.10 and new version 2.3.14. After deleting the keys that referred to the old version, I was finally able to install the new version. TA DA !!
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2014 at 9:00 PM
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:01 AM
Glad to hear and hope you enjoy it.