This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

eMail settings aren't persistent

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM
First, thank you for a great piece of software!

When I set up email notifications, I receive the test email, but do not receive the notification emails. When I reopen the email notifications setup page, there are no entries saved, and when I check the conf file, there are no email settings saved there.

Can I edit the conf file to "hard write" the email settings?
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Yes but am curious as to why the settings aren't being saved. Open the event log from the main page and see if you see any errors.

I suspect that the permissions of mcebuddy.conf aren't setup correctly which is why it's unable to write to it.

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM
You need to press Ok on the email settings and settings page BTW otherwise the settings aren't written. (Both pages)

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I do always click OK on the settings screens. I don't see any errors in the event log since the latest version of 2.3.14 was installed on Nov 19. It does show an error in the mcebuddy.log file that states that the address can't be an empty string.

The MCEBuddy.conf file does not show any email settings being saved.

Should I change the conf file permissions (and if so, how), or should I perform a clean installation?

Thank you for your assistance.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Refer to the documentation on how to do a clean install. Go ahead and try changing the permissions.
If a clean install doesn't fix it then upload your conf file and post hte link here
Dec 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Changing ownership and permissions didn't work, and neither did a clean install (I did not edit the registry). I thought maybe since I had previously done some configuration using a remote session (RDP) that may have affected the permissions, so I made sure to do everything locally.

Note that all other settings seem to be saved fine...it's just the email settings that won't save.

Before I upload the conf file, I'd like to see if I can just add the email settings directly, but I have two questions.

First, on stopping and starting the MCEBuddy application engine before and after editing the MCEBuddy.conf file...is the Services tab in the Task Manager the appropriate place to stop and start? The instructions in the documentation say to do it from the Start menu, but I don't think I can stop and start services directly from there.

Second, to add the email settings directly to the MCEBuddy.conf file, I'm assuming I just need to enter the values, but there is no key for the email account password. Would I just add a line for eMailPassword=xxxxxx?

Thanks again for your help.
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM
They keys should exist. You can't enter the password directly since its encrypted and decrypted by mcebuddy.

You can test it manually. Just press stop on the GUI page change the conf file and press start. You don't need to stop the service. Each time you press start on the GUI page the configuration is reloaded.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM
while you upload your conf file also post the eMail configuration you're trying to add. It's likely that it's bugging out while trying to process the information.
Post all eMail settings except your username and password and let me see if any of the characters are causing a bug out.
Are you using any special characters in your username/password (except alphabets and numbers)?
Jan 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I am also having this issue with donor build MCEBuddy 2.3.14_1 64bit. I receive the test email just fine and click save but the email settings are not stored and I never receive notification emails. Note that after saving the settings, MCEBuddy marks the "send email" checkbox as saved.
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM
can you open a new ticket and post your mcebuddy.log file there. I'll look into it
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I am having a similar issue. I have been running MCEBuddy for several versions now, and when I installed 2.3.14 64bit, my email settings transferred over and everything worked fine. I recently changed my email password in Gmail, so the MCEBuddy emails stopped. Now when I go into MCEBuddy to update my password, I can send the test email fine, hit OK, then go back in, and my old password is still there. I can't find a way for my new password to save.
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM
thanks for bringing this. I'll look into it however I need yoru mcebuddy.log file, please open a ticket and post it there.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:36 AM
I opened a ticket with my log file. Thank you for taking a look.
Jan 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM
Thanks for looking into this. I'll post my logs as soon as I get home.
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Upped, thanks again!
Jan 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to follow up on the orginal issue in a timely manner.

I will post my log file and config file (dfkimbro.zip) on the issue ticket as well. Note that I upgraded to version 2.3.15 and the issue still exists.

Thank you again for a wonderful piece of software and al the hard work you put into it.

(edited to remove email settings)
Jan 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Finally had a chancwe to install the most current buiold of 2.3.15 last night. It works perfectly. Thank you!
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/17/2014 at 6:52 AM