New User with questions

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Just installed MCEBuddy today and I have it up and running. No past experience with this stuff so I have a few simple questions so I understand what is going on.

What is the purpose of the plugin? Is it simply the viewer that is in the tray which shows the progress of the conversion?

Can you remove commercials from a Windows Media Center file without converting to an mp4 or other type file to save time?

Is the whole conversion process staying on my home computer? Or does it involve online access? The reason I ask is when opening up the program it mentions it is not online at first.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Yes yes and yes to all 3.

There are way to do a lot of what you want. Out if the box just select the profile you want and run it. Then you can experiment with advanced settings. Start wit the WTV or WTV unprocessed profiles to keep it as WTV (you will need 2.3.15 or later for that).

Online access is only required to download additional series information.

Read the user guide and getting started discussion thread.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:44 AM
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 7:58 AM
The reason I ask is when opening up the program it mentions it is not online at first.
What do you mean by that? Where does it prompt for online access?
Jan 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM
If the program is completely closed(shut down).....then when you activate it......it has a statement in red letters at the bottom of the screen saying that the service is not available. This goes away quickly after the program loads. At first I was interpreting this as requiring an ongoing online access. Now I understand that the program is simply loading to run idle/active in the lower toolbar.
Thanks for the reply. At first; I did type in some search terms and didn't get great results for what I was looking for. Now with some basic beginning experience; I will comb through the discussions and guides.