This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Codec packs (KLite and Shark007) and WMC/WMP issues

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2014 at 5:54 AM
Do NOT install codec packs like KLite and Shark007. These are a bunch of hacks (and dangerous) codec packs that destroy the windows setup.

If you've installed these codec packs and try to use WMP, WMC or any products that use Windows Media Foundation, they will CRASH. These codec packs pretty much destroy the registry and mess up Windows media foundation.

The only SAFE codec pack (that plays by Windows rules without hacking the registry or destroy the system) is FFDSHOW. It plays VERY well with Windows and can have a clean uninstall if required.
You can downloads FFDSHOW from:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/ffdshow.cfm

If you happen to have installed KLite or Shark007, try to uninstall them (best of luck, likely windows is permanent damaged). If it does not work, use this tool to try and repair/reset the default Windows Media Foundation settings and disable the codec packs.
http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm

If that does not work, reinstall Windows. MCEBuddy has NOTHING to do with these crashes, the mp4, wtv, mkv files are ALL FINE, the codec packs are responsible for the crashes.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/21/2014 at 11:32 PM
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM
What about the LAV Splitter / LAV Filters? Have you had any experience with those? Over at the AssassinHTPC blog, the author recommends MCEBuddy, and he also recommends the LAV Splitter to make 7MC capable of playing mkv files. Since I just installed W7 fresh on my htpc and installed the LAV Filters, I'd be interested to hear if you know of any issues. I'll re-install if necessary, but I'd rather not (damn it takes a long time with all the updates... they need to release a SP2).
Thanks,
KC
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:02 PM
If its is a splitter I don't think it should create a problem. I don't have experience with LAV and personally prefer Haali which is bundled with Mcebuddy. However see how it goes and post back here.

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Personal opinion. Windows does a darn good job of providing codecs that work with most containers and codecs.

MKV is one it does not support And Haali fills that gap.

Lav I understand replaces the default splitters for mkv and Avi and other windows supported splitters and codecs. IMHO that is asking for trouble.

Why break what's working?

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I agree with you, and only chose LAV over Haali due to the recommendation from the assassinhtpcblog, given that many of his other guides & suggestions seemed good & well-thought out, based on experience, etc. Since he strongly recommends your product, and includes a couple guides on using it, maybe you might want to have a chat with him about his recommendation for LAV instead of Haali. He also has a guide on installing Shark007, but I don't think it's in his "recommended" list.
http://assassinhtpcblog.com/
KC