This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What needs to be backed up for system reinstall?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM
my windows htpc is acting up and so to make sure I cover everything needed can someone refresh my brain as to what all I need to backup so that once I restore windows to "factory" and reinstall the latest mcebuddy I can drop in the settings to put it back like it was? I've already handled the custom comskip dirs.

Thanks1
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Stop the engine (via the GUI) and backup mcebuddy.conf
  1. BEFORE INSTALLING the new MCEBuddy put the backed up mcebuddy.conf into your user folder (C:\Users\username) AND THEN INSTALL the new MCEBuddy. During installation it will pick up the old mcebuddy.conf from the users folder and take the relevant settings and add the new settings to it. (FYI: UNINSTALLING MCEBuddy will automatically backup the mcebuddy.conf in the user folder so when the new MCEBuddy is installed it automatically picks up the backed up mcebuddy.conf)
  2. After installing MCEBuddy, Stop the engine (via the GUI) and drop in the original mcebuddy.conf and then click Start. Do this if you're going to use the same version of mcebuddy. Do NOT use this method if you're changing versions.
The FIRST method is ALWAYS the safest method to follow, old version or new - always the BEST.

If you've customized your profiles you many want to backup profiles.conf otherwise use the latest version that comes wtih MCEbuddy, the fastest and most stable.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/7/2014 at 10:43 PM
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Thanks for the fast response.
Feb 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM
I also back up my comskip (donator version) .exe and .ini files, and a post-conversion-processing batch file I have MCEB call, so I don't have to re-create them. Probably could just store them somewhere outside the Mcebuddy program directory to prevent re-install from deleting them, but I keep them together.

I've always had to re-enter the MCEB configuration manually after reinstalls. Not sure why the automatic backup described above has not been working for me (I always uninstall as recommended), but will try the manual copy approach next time - should be much easier than re-entering everything.