This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Android TV Box Codec

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
I have an android tv box that is an rk3188 chipset. When I watch a video file with the below codec info everything looks great and runs smooth. What profile or how do I create a custom profile to allow mcebuddy to do the same thing. I am running the latest .15 beta. The video file that runs fine has the below codec information.
1280*720 (16:9) at 23.976 fps, AVC (High@L4.1) (CABAC /5 Ref Frames).
The profile I am using in mcebuddy is the MKV 1 pass and it seems to be running at a similar codec but the difference is AVC (High@L4.0) CABAC / 3 Ref Frames. I do not know what the difference is or how to make them the same as this is pretty foreign to me. Any help would be appreciated as right now things look like they are dropping frames when watching a show. BTW these are conversion tasks from WMC recordings from a Silicon Dust HD HOME RUN if that matters at all. Also if anyone knows of a better premade profile for running on an android device that would be great. This is running XBMC hooked up to a TV.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM
I don't think it's the profile or the ref frames (which BTW can be changed quite easily in the profile depending upon which encoder is being used). See this link for description of level/profiles, 4.0 and 4.1 doesn't matter unless your bitrate is very high. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Similarly references will only improve quality but take more time to encode.

Have you compared the frame rates? That would be one reason for a differnece in "smoothness" or stuttering.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Also check the video dimensions, if mcebuddy cropping the video which is creating a non standard size and can cause problems with some players playback.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Did that solve your issue?
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Sorry for the late response I have been traveling...OK yes I checked the issues and it does seem to have an issue with framerates. The shows that appear fine have a frame rate of the recorded show around 24 FPS and the ones that have issue are around 60 FPS. I have checked the box to force the framerate to 24 in MCEBUDDY but it doesn't seem to be working. The converted files are still around 60 FPS. I am running the beta version from 3/16.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Upload and post the link to the conversion log

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM
ftp://earlyaccess.mcebuddy2x.com/UPLOAD/greysanatomy.log
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I'll look into it

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Thanks for reporting this. Small bug in the code which rounded off the frame rate causing handbrake to ignore it.

For now just remove the frame rate. Open the profile and add -r 23.976 to the handbrake-video line at the end and it should solve your problem for now.

I'll fix this in the next build.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM
without sounding like a total newb which I pretty much am :)...where do I make this change. Is there a location or specific filename I can search for that holds the profile?
Mar 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
also can I give it a whole number of 24 and have it work just fine then instead of modifying a file?
Mar 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM
ok...as for the file I think I found what I needed...is this what it should look like? I am using the MKV High Quality
handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -b 1800 -x me=hex:trellis=2:subq=8:partitions=all:8x8dct:ref=5:rc_lookahead=50:keyint=25:keyint_min=20:bframes=3:weight_b:level_idc=40:b_pyramid=normal:direct_pred=auto:mixed_refs:deblock=-1,-1:nofast_pskip:nodct_decimate:b_adapt=2:threads=auto -r 23.976
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
This issue has been fixed with teh next build. You can enter ANY framerate or expression now, MCEBuddy will evaluate it and pick the closest supported framerate. Note handbrake only supports specific frame rates. If you want to use a free framerate (e.g. 60 or 44 or 13.77) then use ffmpeg in the profile.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 3/24/2014 at 3:47 AM