This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

closed captions file not synchroized after removing commercials

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM
i add close captioning by default in WMC--- in an unprocessed WTV run (to remove commercials only and maintain HD)--- the separate closed captioning file becomes progressively out of sync.

Is there any fix for this
thanks
p
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Yes there is a way to fix progressive sync of closed captions. Please search the forum for this point has been addressed in detail. You can use the subtitle segment offset option in expert settings.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM
well what i found in the forum was that to reduce progressive desynchronization under expert settings i could alter the offset setting. Using both comskip and showanalyzer (no difference) i could vary the offset between -5 and +20 to produce the following results. A 60 minute show was reduced to about 30 minutes with the ads removed: with a very low offset, the first segments (+ or -) had CCs synchronized, but by 30 minutes the CCs were about 30 seconds delayed. With an offset of +20 the end (30 minutes) was synchronized, but the beginning was advanced about 5-10 seconds. Intermediate offsets did not produce a "sweet spot"
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM
You're on the right track, this is a bit of trial and error. Try using the combination of the Segment Offset (Under Settings -> General Settings -> System Settings) AND the the Subtile Offset (under Conversion Task Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Expert Settings).

Segment Offset one allows you to compensate for the subtitle sync DRIFT (+ve or -ve) after EACH commercial is cut.
Subtitle Offset allows for a ONE time shift (sync) at the beginning of the video (+ve or -ve)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/2/2014 at 3:37 AM
Apr 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I have found that if I use a subtitle offset of 2.5 and a subtitle commercial sync of -0.5 everything lines up perfect on 9-10 shows with the 10th just being slightly off. Now I am using the latest beta. This version seems to do a lot better job with subtitles than the previous version.
Oct 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM
gotpaste wrote:
I have found that if I use a subtitle offset of 2.5 and a subtitle commercial sync of -0.5 everything lines up perfect on 9-10 shows with the 10th just being slightly off. Now I am using the latest beta. This version seems to do a lot better job with subtitles than the previous version.
agree with the above. In some discussions, a subtitle offset of -3 or -2.5 have been recommended with the default ffmpeg skip the first 3 seconds of a conversion enabled.

However, I can confirm a Subtitle Offset (ccoffset=2.5 in mcebuddy.conf) of +2.5 and Segment Offset of -0.5 (SubtitleSegmentOffset=-0.5 in mcebuddy.conf) works great for most conversions.