This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Performance and multiple disks

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Great application, works perfectly for transferring files between Windows Media Center and Plex.

Just wondering if anyone has checked to see if performance is better when splitting processes between multiple physical disks or worse? For example having your target directory on one physical disk and your working directory on another. Having just watched the process a few times, my thought is worse as it looks to copy the file to the working directory first. So overall you just have the overhead of copying between disks. Not sure if it continues to read from the target directory or not. Any suggestions for other directories ie comskip, archive...?

Got my initial setup done, just starting to tweak a bit.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM
A point to note, MCEBuddy (under normal condition without ski premuxing and skip copying) will either copy the source file or remux the source file in the working directory. There after all operations are performed in the working directory. Finally the converted file is copied to the destination directory.

It also depends upon your transfer speed, for e.g. an internal bus transfer can sustain between 70MBps and 150MBps speeds but if you're using USB that can be anywhere between 10MBps and 30MBps. So if you're using a USB disk sometimes (depends upon number of simultaneous conversions) it may be better off using the internal disk v/s the USB disk.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/2/2014 at 3:43 AM
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Just for grins; I put all the directories on the same drive. By looking at the times in the last line of the logs, it seems to have shaved total conversion time from about 2 hours down to 1.5 hours. I do use all internal drives.

Hmmm, wonder how fast we could get that if I let it burn out an SSD drive?
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM
If you're using a disk intensive profile like an Unprocessed profile, I find 1 simultaneous conversion works faster than 2 or more.
2 or more are helpful when using regular profiles which spend more CPU time than disk time hence even out the disk access.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Yeah, I goofed with that a bit and found the same thing. Everything except Copy Protected files are removed of commercials and converted to MP4 before being moved over to my Plex server. I figured with a six year old that watches the same programs over and over it was better to convert once up front rather then have Plex always converting on the fly.

Again, great application and support.

Just an enhancement to think about. Instead of the Copy Protected setting at the global level, how about a mask on the task level? So far I have lucked out and only certain channels have a Copy Protected setting, so I'm able to setup my tasks based on channels. Just wondering if I'll run into certain specials or sporting events with Copy Protected status on channels that don't normally use the flag.

Just for posterity for those looking to filter tasks based on channels use the following:
Channel name match: ;~HBO;~SHO*;~TMC* (use this in a task that you want to skip HBO, SHO...)
Channel name match: HBO*;SHO*;TMC* (Use this in a task that you want to only look for HBO, SHO...)

Use Case: Shows recorded on HBO, SHO and TMC always have a Copy Protected status and therefore can not be moved off the computer that recorded them. I have a task setup that just moves Copy Protected files to a folder on the same computer by using the "Rename and sort files only" check box in the task. In all my other tasks I put in the filter above that skips those files.
Apr 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM
GamePugs wrote:
Channel name match: ;~HBO;~SHO*;~TMC* (use this in a task that you want to skip HBO, SHO...)
For some reason the forum keeps removing asterisks, which is really important. It should be: asterisk;~HBO*,,,
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Use code blocks to write the pattern

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Open a new issue ticket with your request and we'll look into it

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:42 AM
BTW as a benchmark, remuxing a 6GB video should take between 2-4 minutes only if your hard disk is setup right.
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Remuxing only takes a couple minutes. It's the comskip and conversion to mp4 that takes a while. On a 6GB file the whole process takes 1 hour and 19 minutes.
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Are you using the donator version of comskip? If your source video has H.264 video then comskip bundled with mcebuddy is slow, the donator version runs about 4 times faster.