This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Help Converting WTV DVD Rips to MP4 (AutoRip N Compress)

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Looking for some help converting WTV DVD rips to an MP4 format that works consistently across different devices.

I have ripped my DVD collection (All SD) using Auto Rip N Compress into an Uncompressed WTV file. This involved:
  • Ripping via MakeMKV to MKV
  • Converting to uncompressed WTV using todvrms.exe
I have had mixed results using MCEBuddy to convert these rips into MP4. Some have worked flawlessly (using MP4 Normal), however others have resulted in audio being out of sync (that gets worse as the movie goes on) or stuttering playback.

I just downloaded Beta 15 and tried the REMUX profile for MP4, which works on my PC, but would not stream to an Xbox over DLNA.

Looking for some guidance on the best way to tweak the profiles to solve these issues and get my entire movie collection over to MP4.

Priorities:
1) Play via DLNA to Xbox One/Xbox 360
2) Support 5.1 Audio playback
3) Play on Windows 8/RT Video App
4) Play on Android / iOS
5) Play on Media Center Extenders
6) Reduce file size (without visible quality loss)

No need for subtitles.
No need for selecting different audio tracks.

Any recommendation as to the best place to start troubleshooting, would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM
Now that' would ideally be a dream come true if one can get all the above. I don't know why the Xbox doesn't play back standard MP4.

So as far as I can tell there are 2 options:
1. Use the Xbox profile, while this is specifically made for the xbox it should also work with other players since it is a MP4 file.
2. Use the MKV profile, it is gaining popularity across devices.

On playing back MKV on XBox and Media Extenders

Apart from Xbox all the other devices should be able to play back MP4 files. Stick with H.264 for best size/quality, I would increase the quality factory and keep resolution high and bitrate around 2K-4K to maintain the quality depending upon resolution (720p to 1080p)

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/7/2014 at 2:26 PM
Apr 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Thanks @rboy1

Looks like the MP4 Normal Profile in Beta 15 is working well so far. Have tested a few files on XboxOne, Windows RT, and Android with success. The only thing I am missing is 5.1 audio which looks to be a limitation of the Xbox with MP4 containers only supporting 2 channel audio. Unfortunately there is no documentation for the Xbox One DLNA format support, so it basically requires trial and error. Would prefer to get MP4 working over MKV, since it has broader mobile device support.

If I wanted to test this profile with different audio outputs, can you guide me on adding the below tweaks to the MP4 Normal Profile?
  • AAC 6 channel audio
  • AC3 6 channel audio
Apr 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM
check the box for multichannel audio in the conversion task setting and it'll create a multi channel output if the original sound track is multichannel.

Regarding aac or ac3 change the encoder (look at the profile for MKV which uses AC3), MP4 by default uses aac

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM
Ok. so I made a little bit more progress today. Using the MKV Normal Profile, I was able to create an MP4 file with H.264 video and AC-3 audio. This allowed me to get 5.1 Audio on the Xbox One! The file also works in the Xbox Video app on my Windows RT tablet and on a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 android tab (although I had to download a 3rd party player to get the audio working - MX Player).

However, it looks like this file will have problems on Apple devices. I found the below information regarding support for AC-3 5.1 passthrough, requiring that a stereo AAC audio track also be included. Is this possible to add an AAC audio track in addition to the AC-3 audio somehow in the profile?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1755
the movie must have two audio tracks:

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) stereo
AC-3 track for surround
Note: Both tracks should have the same sample rate (48 kHz is normal).

For compatibility, the following is required:

Both tracks must be provided.
The AAC track should be first and it must be enabled.
The AC-3 track should appear after the AAC track and it should be disabled by default.
The AC-3 track must also use the appropriate MPEG-4/ISO standard.
Apr 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM
yes you will need to study ffmpeg and handbrake commands (handbrake is easier). Refer to the handbrake cli reference how to create a file with multiple soundtracks and modify the handbrake-audio and handbrake-audioac3 lines accordingly.