This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Thanks and a request

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM
This is just a thank-you for the emergence of 2.3.15, which is able to do some pretty awesome stuff in record time now. Now the request....

Do any of you know about DVRMSToolbox and WTVWatcher, which when paired with a WMC addin are designed to facilitate automatic commercial skipping via EDL files without altering the base file (aside from converting to DVR-MS)? I installed it all but then disabled everything but the WMC addin, thinking that I could use MCEBuddy to create the EDL files that the addin seems to need. My efforts have been complicated, though, first by a buggy earlier release of 2.3.15 and/or ComSkip that generated corrupt EDL files, and now by factors that confound me. I set up a conversion task in MCEBuddy that just processes to Unprocessed WTV and generates EDL files and nothing else. The EDL files now look correct to me, but the addin still complains about files missing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is anyone more knowledgeable than I about the innards of those other tools and what I might be missing?
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Why do you need to convert? All you need is DTBAddin - 1.0.0.7 (R3) a change in comskip ini output_dvrmstb=1. It will Autoskip WTV files when played in WMC.
Jun 6, 2014 at 3:23 AM
nyplayer wrote:
Why do you need to convert? All you need is DTBAddin - 1.0.0.7 (R3) a change in comskip ini output_dvrmstb=1. It will Autoskip WTV files when played in WMC.
This is new information. Where do I make this change, and do I make it in the ComSkip included with MCEBuddy or the one included with the other tools? How do I create the EDL files unless I process the WTV files with MCEBuddy? If I choose the "Rename without converting" option then everything to do with ComSkip is disabled....
Jun 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM
I do not use MCEBUDDY to run comskip I do not cut commercials.. I am not sure if you can run Comskip in MCEBUDDY without cutting commercials. I use dirmon2 .. If I were to use MCEBUDDY to run comskip I would probably run it as a PreMetaCustomCommand... and Chose MCEBUDDY Remove Ads no.
Ps If you are using windows 8 you need DTBAddin - 1.0.0.9 which is in the http://babgvant.com/ early access.
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Choose Comskip and check the box for skip cutting ads in the expert settings page to *not* cut commercials (preserve the EDL file)

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Choose Comskip and check the box for skip cutting ads in the expert settings page to not cut commercials (preserve the EDL file)
That is exactly what I've been doing, but that's not central to the issues I'm having. I forgot to mention that initially the EDL files were being created in my designated archive folder and not the source folder (the monitored location). It's not doing that now but I can't recall how I corrected it. Currently my GenerateJustEDLFiles task leaves me with a WTV file and an EDL file of the same name in the RecordedTV folder, but that is not sufficient to allow commercial skipping during playback in 7MC with the DTBAddin. It complains about the "commercials file" not existing. Does the DTBAddin depend upon something else other than an EDL file?

Specifics: I have two monitoring locations and two conversion tasks, one each for permanent transcoding to MP4 and the other for creating just EDL files. The first pair is for transcoding (and requires me to manually move files to initiate the process):
[ToBeTranscoded]
SearchPath=E:\MCEBuddy\ToBeTranscoded
SearchPattern=*.dvr-ms;*.wtv;*.asf;*.avi;*.divx;*.dv;*.flv;*.gxf;*.m1v;*.m2v;*.m2ts;*.m4v;*.mkv;*.mov;*.mp2;*.mp4;*.mpeg;*.mpeg1;*.mpeg2;*.mpeg4;*.mpg;*.mts;*.mxf;*.ogm;*.ts;*.vob;*.wmv;*.tp
MonitorSubdirectories=True
MonitorConvertedFiles=False
ReMonitorRecordedFiles=False
DomainName=
UserName=

[Convert to MP4]
Profile=MP4 High Quality
DestinationPath=E:\MCEBuddy\Transcoded
WorkingPath=
FallbackDestination=False
CheckReprocessingHistory=False
AddToiTunesLibrary=False
AddToWMPLibrary=False
AutoIncrementFilename=False
SkipReprocessing=True
MaxWidth=7680
FPS=
VolumeMultiplier=0.8
QualityMultiplier=1
RenameBySeries=True
AltRenameBySeries=False
CustomRenameBySeries=%showname%\%showname% • S%season%##E%episode%## • %episodename% • %airyear%-%airmonth%-%airday%
RenameOnly=False
DownloadSeriesDetails=True
DownloadBanner=True
FileSelection=
MetaSelection=
MetaChannelSelection=
MonitorTaskNames=ToBeTranscoded
DRC=True
AudioLanguage=eng
AudioOffset=0
InsertQueueTop=False
ExtractXML=True
WriteMetadata=True
AutoDeInterlace=True
PreferHardwareEncoding=True
StereoAudio=True
EncoderSelectBestAudioTrack=True
DisableCropping=False
StartTrim=0
EndTrim=0
ExtractCC=default
CCOffset=3.1
EmbedSubtitlesChapters=True
PrioritizeOriginalBroadcastDateMatch=False
TaskCommercialSkipCut=True
SkipCopyBackup=False
SkipRemux=False
IgnoreCopyProtection=True
TiVOMAKKey=
Enabled=True
ForceShowType=Default
MetaShowTypeSelection=Default
MetaDRMTypeSelection=All
CommercialRemoval=Comskip
ComskipINI=
DomainName=
UserName=
MetaCorrectionsCount=0
This is the pair for attempting to create just EDL files in RecordedTV for unmodified/uncut commercial skipping with WTV files:
[NewRecordedTV]
SearchPath=E:\Recorded TV
SearchPattern=*.dvr-ms;*.wtv;*.asf;*.avi;*.divx;*.dv;*.flv;*.gxf;*.m1v;*.m2v;*.m2ts;*.m4v;*.mkv;*.mov;*.mp2;*.mp4;*.mpeg;*.mpeg1;*.mpeg2;*.mpeg4;*.mpg;*.mts;*.mxf;*.ogm;*.ts;*.vob;*.wmv;*.tp;*.tivo
MonitorSubdirectories=True
MonitorConvertedFiles=False
ReMonitorRecordedFiles=False
DomainName=
UserName=

[GenerateJustEDLFiles]
Profile=WTV Unprocessed
DestinationPath=E:\Recorded TV
WorkingPath=
FallbackDestination=False
CheckReprocessingHistory=False
AddToiTunesLibrary=False
AddToWMPLibrary=False
AutoIncrementFilename=False
SkipReprocessing=False
MaxWidth=1920
FPS=
VolumeMultiplier=0.8
QualityMultiplier=1
RenameBySeries=False
AltRenameBySeries=False
CustomRenameBySeries=
RenameOnly=False
DownloadSeriesDetails=False
DownloadBanner=True
FileSelection=
MetaSelection=
MetaChannelSelection=
MonitorTaskNames=NewRecordedTV
DRC=False
AudioLanguage=eng
AudioOffset=0
InsertQueueTop=False
ExtractXML=False
WriteMetadata=True
AutoDeInterlace=False
PreferHardwareEncoding=True
StereoAudio=True
EncoderSelectBestAudioTrack=False
DisableCropping=False
So how do I - and can I - modify this to make DTBAddin function correctly?
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM
DBTAdddin needs a xml file it will not work with edls. Sample below. change in comskip ini output_dvrmstb=1.. I use a batch job to copy the assets I need in case MCEBUDDY does not copy them over not sure if MCEBUDDY would copy the XML over.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<root>
<commercial start="722.621900" end="853.252400" />
<commercial start="1537.035500" end="1798.696900" />
<commercial start="2280.778500" end="2491.355533" />
<commercial start="3254.584667" end="3260.724133" />
</root>
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/6/2014 at 3:20 PM
Jun 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Oh! So then it's actually ComSkip that creates those XML files I saw early on? That I didn't know! So the problem I was having was even more basic than I thought: the addin needed a file that wasn't being created by MCEBuddy's configured version of ComSkip. It wasn't the EDL files that it needed to function. Which is silly if you ask me, because I thought EDL files were the de facto standard - aren't they? - for that information, not XML files.

I found MCEBuddy's comskip.ini and made the change - the entry was already present and even documented, just needed to be toggled - so now I just need to wait for a new show to be recorded. Don't know whether I should risk trying to run previous shows through the process again.

Thanks to nyplayer for more fully explaining his original comment. I understood it the second time.

BTW, does what I'm trying to do - preserving WTV files - require that I have the Donator version of ComSkip? Would that explain the audio sync problems I noticed with some of the files when it did work? I didn't have the Donator version before, but I just donated today.
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM
So to sum it up

Mcebuddy only creates edl files in the temp folder and then copies them to the destination folder if skip cutting ads is enabled.

So in your case you need to modify the comskip ini file to generate XML files(use custom comskip ini option) in addition edl file.

Once that is done write a custom command to copy the edl and XML files from the temp folder or a postcustomcommand to copy it from the destination folder to your source folder. There was a user who did something like this recently. Search the forum for custom command.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Sample. Copies from original file location to destination.

PostCustomCommandPath=C:\mcebuddy\copyassets.bat
PostCustomCommandParameters=""%sourcefile%" "%convertedfile%""
PostCustomCommandHangPeriod=300
PostCustomCommandCritical=false
PostCustomCommandUISession=false
PostCustomCommandShowWindow=false

copyassets.bat
if exist "%~d1%~p1%~n1.xml" copy "%~d1%~p1%~n1.xml" "%~d2%~p2%~n2.xml"
if exist "%~d1%~p1%~n1.edl" copy "%~d1%~p1%~n1.edl" "%~d2%~p2%~n2.edl"
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/6/2014 at 3:19 PM
Jun 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I guess I won't need to worry about post-process moving commands, because both the EDL and XML files were generated right where I need them, in the RecordedTV folder:
Source Video -> E:\Recorded TV\Comics Unleashed With Byron Allen_KOVRDT_2014_06_07_01_01_00.wtv
Converted Video -> E:\Recorded TV\Comics Unleashed With Byron Allen_KOVRDT_2014_06_07_01_01_00.wtv
Profile -> WTV Unprocessed
Conversion Task -> GenerateJustEDLFiles
Converted At -> 2014-06-07T01:49:04
Time taken to convert (hh:mm) -> 00:13
And then there they are:

Comics Unleashed With Byron Allen_KOVRDT_2014_06_07_01_01_00.wtv
Comics Unleashed With Byron Allen_KOVRDT_2014_06_07_01_01_00.edl
Comics Unleashed With Byron Allen_KOVRDT_2014_06_07_01_01_00.xml

And the XML file looks good, and it works! Thanks, guys.

Now a final question for you ComSkip gurus: is there a way I can CLI execute just ComSkip against the earlier files to generate the missing XML files for the earlier failures using a CMD file? Or would it be easier to use some tool to directly create the XML files from the data in the existing EDL files? It's been a while and my RAM sucks, but I recall the WinNT CMD batch vocabulary is advanced enough it might even be able to parse text from the EDL files and output a text XML file with some effort.