This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Questions about vob conversion

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Your program is so awesome I am attempting to use it for all my conversions. This has brought up a few interesting issues that maybe you can help answer.

When converting a VOB in MCEBuddy I would like to use your renaming to automatically move the file into the proper folder. As an example, if I rip a MASH dvd with a file that is season 2 episode 1, I would like mcebuddy to do the same as what it does with wtv files after conversion. Rename to my custom format and move it to the directory according to my naming format.

Since the files are vob and cryptically named on the dvd, I copy them to a monitored directory and rename them hoping that MCEBuddy will get the metadata and rename them after the conversion. Here is where I am running into problems. I have tried naming the vob before conversion to:

MASH s02-e01.vob

I have also tried other naming conventions but no luck on the rename after conversion. MCEBuddy puts it in a folder with the same name as the original file it creates and renames the file the same way with an mp4 extension.

The only thing I can figure is MCEBuddy is using the Metadata information in the wtv file to acquire and rename the files after conversion. If this is so then i will have to add metadata to the vob file to get MCEBuddy to rename the file correctly. That would be a lot more work than a simple rename of the vob before MCEBuddy does the conversion and rename.

Sorry for the long explanation here but I am trying to be as detailed as possible. The question is: Can MCEBuddy pull the metadata just based on the filename and apply it to rename the converted file properly?
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Yes see the thread for Media Portal file naming convention. Use the same convention and it should work.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Thank you, that worked great, now I am stuck on another problem. I copy the vob files to my hard drive and rename them. Let's say there are 4 episodes on a dvd so I copy the 4 large vob files. I converted to mp4 and some of them did not have the entire episode in the mp4. So I played the individual vob files and sure enough part of the episode is missing even though the episodes are only an hour. Also, some of the vobs have a different language on the first track and the enoded files seem to use that instead of english.

Is there a trick to ripping a dvd that programs like handbrake use to give you the entire episode when it rips the dvd?

I would really like to use your program exclusively to perform all my video conversion needs. I guess the question is how do I use MCEBuddy to rip a dvd and get the individual episodes in full on each mp4 or is this outside the scope of your program?

Thanks.
Jun 6, 2014 at 3:14 AM
The very structure and number of files in a DVD should give you pause to consider how it's structured; the VOB files indeed contain the actual content, so why then are there so many of them for just a single two-hour program? The answer is likely that there is a distinct VOB file for each defined "chapter". Any transcoding process needs to be intelligently aware of those logical and physical divisions and merge them together in a single contemporary container file that either does or doesn't preserve those chapters.
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Thank you for your response. I am aware that is what the problem is. My question is if MCEBuddy is capable of properly ripping a dvd or if that is outside the scope of the program.
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Actually pretty simple solution.

If you know what VOB's on the DVD are the movie then just concatenation them into a single file and send it to mcebuddy.

Eg in dos prompt in the DVD TS folder:

copy /b file1.vob+file2.vob+file3.vob c:\mcebuddy\bigfile.vob

Assuming mcebuddy is monitoring the mcebuddy folder it will pick up the bigfile.vob and you will have a single file.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM
That would work perfect if there were separate vobs to concatenate but as an example.

Mash dvd has 8 large vobs for 8 separate episodes and for whatever reason (maybe to save space) it would appear the opening credits are all sharing from vob1 but vob 1 also has the entire first episode so I would have to split off the credits and then add them to the other 7 episodes. Of course I do not want all 8 episodes in one large file. Somehow (spooky magic) this happens automatically in programs like handbrake. I just pick an episode and it encodes the entire episode in the proper language with subtitle automatically.

I LOVE your program and your encoding schemes. They are just right for everything I do and smaller than handbrake with no visible degradation in quality and I would love to use it to handle all my video needs. The automation you have added is off the charts fantastic. There is no other program that is remotely close to your feature set and if it could handle dvd's that would be the cherry on top. Everything is so easy once all the monitored directories are properly configured. That being said what you have made for handling WMC recordings is nothing short of brilliant and I would love to use it for other needs as well which I can do for all my needs except dvd ripping.

Thank you for the fantastic program and support and if you have any other suggestions for getting this done let me know.
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2014 at 1:51 AM
In the current architecture mcebuddy cannot parse DVD since the interface design would have challenges as we'll as the remuxing scheme.

Open a new feature ticket issue and let us see what we can do via a new program to rip DVD titles.

Vob are like that I'm nature. Read the Wikipedia entry to understand how they work.

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM
Here is another idea, use vStrip to extract the VOB's you want (individual episodes into individual VOB's) and then feed them into MCEBuddy.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/12/2014 at 6:09 PM
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2014 at 5:11 AM
vStrip has a CLI which you can use to automate the extraction and then you can use MCEBuddyUserCli.exe to further automate passing the extracted VOB files to MCEbuddy engine.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Edited Jun 9, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. It got me started looking for something to put vob files together so mCEBuddy could use them. Vstrip did not seem to do the trick (or maybe I just could not figure out how to use it) but I finally came across a program called pgcdemux that when you select the proper ifo file it would list under titles the pgc file for each episode and you could then select create a pgc vob and it would write a vob with the entire episode. There were a few hassles like it would name each vob it created the same name so I had to rename (which I would have to do anyway for MCEBuddy to get the metadata) before I could rip the next pgc. It would be much nicer if I could just chose the pgc episodes and have it automatically copy each one then after that I can name them for MCEBuddy to get the metadata, convert to mp4 and rename.

Maybe someone knows of a more robust program to do this so I can use MCEBuddy to convert my vobs into mp4. For now this is working great and the mp4 look as good as my wmc files converted by MCEBuddy with all my subtitles and custom file names and monitored directory. I really enjoy how easy it is to use your program to do all my video needs.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Try Chapter Grabber for getting metadata from the internet for DVD's/BluRay's