This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

noob question about video type, i.e. movie, series, etc

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Thanks for the well working program.

My question is if the type 'movie' is for converting from a DVD and if any program recorded from TV via nPVR or Tivo be considered as 'Series'?
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Type, movies or series or sports is determined with the metadata.
The metadata is stored in the file (WTV or DVRMS) or in the metadata XML/ARG etc files (for SageTV, nPVR, MediaPortal, ArgusTV etc) present along with the recording.

MCEBuddy reads the metadata and the makes a determination of the type.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/12/2014 at 6:10 PM
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Thanks, I understand. What gave me pause is that the TV has similar choices that dictate like how soft the image is.

Regarding MCEBuddy, I noticed that when I got on my treadmill the transcode rate slowed considerably. Not so clear is that I was watching TV via my WDTV Live Plus while running and its switching supply appears to be noisy. The transcode rate sped up more when I killed the WDTV than when I turned off the treadmill.
Jun 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM
By the way, when I start transcoding a Tivo file, a Windows Activemovie box opens. I've searched and removed all activemovie files that I could find, uninstalled Windows Media Player 11, Unset Windows Media Player in Programs Access, yet the active movie box still opens. It eventually closes tho on its own.
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Never seen that. It must be linked via the registry in the filter chain. You will need a program to remove it from the direct show filter chain. I think dxfilters does that

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM
And does the Tivo Desktop -> File -> Preferences -> Audio gain when set to amplify, does this improve commercial detection or degrade effectiveness, e.g. mistakenly cutting parts of the show. I understand Audio can be amplified in MCEBuddy but would there be an advantage having Tivo Desktop Plus do it?
Jun 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Regarding the audio impact on commercial detection you will need to understand comskip working

However note that mcebuddy audio gain takes place after commercial detection

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Now I see. The implication is that if done first would facilitate detection, that's the way it would be done.
Jun 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM
I notice that in the MCEBuddy 2.4 Handbrake folder there is HandbrakeCLI.exe and HandbrakeCLI_XP.exe. So, now if I try to run handbrake on the commandline the command isn't recognized. If I try running handbrakecli.exe or handbrakecli_xp.exe neither are recognized as a command. So, the sub-directories in c:\program files(x86)\mcebuddy2x\ are not in the PATH variable? But HandbrakeCLI_XP.exe is effectively called by MCEBuddy when one is using transcode to MP4 Normal, yes?

And another question: I see there is a mediainfo32.dll file in the MCEBuddy2x folder. Can I access the MediaInfo for files to see what codecs are called and what are installed or should I download MediaInfo program? Thanks.

At the stage of merging sections after commercial cut, I opened taskmanager to see what programs were active. I see ffmpeg is active but handbrake isn't shown. Handbrake is listed before ffmpeg under order= tho ffmpeg orders seem to precede the handbrake orders in the profile. ...okay, just got to conversion and handbrakecli_xp.exe has become active.
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM
yes, MCEBuddy appends the runtime path to get the full path before calling handbrakecli

if you can access the dll file go ahead and use it. If you need a GUI then download the program. Note that hte newer versions have some bugs in it which cause it to hang sometimes, so the one distriubuted with mcebuddy is the most stable build. however there are other bugs so, nothing's perfect :)

Alternatively you can add the file to the queue in mcebuddy and right click and see media info.