This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEB does not save files to destination after a reboot

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I use Windows 8 with all updates (8.1), Windows Media Center to record unencrypted cable TV channels, convert .wtv files to .mp4 files using MCEBuddy 2.3.15, and MCEB stores mp4 files on to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) hard drive. No problems when it works.
Why I am writing is that when I or Microsoft reboots my computer, MCEB restarts fine but it won't store files on my NAS until I open MCEB and click OK again to the stored and present User Identification and password for the NAS in the Network Connection User Credentials pop up window. I am wondering if this procedure is for a security reasons or do I have an access permission issue? I am stumped why MCEB does not restart, check my credentials for the NAS, and start converting again after a reboot. The logs tell me storage access is denied. So I know what the problem is but I don't know why with the stored ID and password in MCEB for my NAS that the credentials are not used by MCBE until I go into settings and reclick ok to the stored ID and password for my NAS? After I click ok, then all is fine until I reboot again. Can you help me rid myself of this problem?
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM
have you entered your NAS credentials in MCEBuddy ? Post a link to your MCEBuddy.log to see what's going on.

Have you gone through the Documentation -> Common Issues

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Pasting from Common Issues:
Resolution

a) If you're using a network path/share in the Monitor Task to monitor a network folder or if you're using a network path/share as the destination folder in the Conversion Task, make sure you enter the username and password in the MCEBuddy Credential box next to the Monitor Path or Destination Path text box by clicking on the button. Even if you shared the network share without a password or anonymous or guest or everyone, you MUST enter atleast Guest in the username of the credential page. This is because MCEBuddy uses LocalSystem account and not the local user account to authenticate on the network, so the mapped drives or logged on user authentication will not be accessible by MCEBuddy.

b) If you're using the Add File button or dragging and dropping files/directories into the queue then you need to add the network login credentials to Settings -> Expert Settings -> Network Authentication. This MUST match the same credentials that have been used to access the network share via Windows Explorer or if the network share has been mapped to a drive. See point (c) below.

c) Check if the path has already been mapped by Windows. To check the mappings, open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd). Type net use and it should show you the mapped drives. Make sure you are using the same credentials that have been used to map the network shares/drives in Windows. Windows only allows for one set of credentials per network share. If you don't need the mapped drive/paths you can disconnect them using the command net /delete <pathname>.

d) Make sure the network drive is connected and accessible.

Windows is VERY FINICKY. You cannot map the same Network share more than once with different credentials.

If you've connected to the remote computer using Windows Explorer or the Run command, then you've already logged in with one set of credentials. If MCEBuddy now tries to connect with a different set of credentials it will FAIL since Windows will reject it.
Jun 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM
To answer your question about entering NAS credentials, the answer is yes and they are stored with MCEB just fine. When I open the pop up for the Network Connection User Credentials (NCUC) windows my user id and password for the NAS are there. All I do is click OK to the NCUC pop up and start MCEB which is set to monitor my Recorded TV folder so when a program is recorded, MCEB converts it and then stores it on my NAS. If I have to reboot the computer for some reason, the problem I am having is MCEB appears to me like it looses connection or won't reconnect to my NAS even though all credentials are stored with the program. Because if I don't repeat the above process meaning click OK to the NCUC pop up window, MCEB stops storing converted files.
I don't reboot that often but this is something I have to remember to do if I want tv files to be converted. Once I reconfirm my NAS credentials by just simply clicking OK to the NCUC pop up (not reentering my credentials), MCEB works very nicely and very quickly until I have to do another reboot. I was just wondering if you had seen this before?
In your message, you ask for a link to my MCEBuddy.log. Did you mean for me to copy my MCEB log to a cloud storage and send you a link to the stored file?
Also, I have been using MCEBuddy since the 1x days. Clearly your 2.3.15 version along with Comskip are the best yet. The convert/skip tv files so fast. For a 1 hr program in 11 minutes and 5 for a 1/2 hr. Love it.
I just got a second message in from you. The answer to a) is yes, credentials are in. The answer to b) is yes also. The answer to c) is yes, I did check net use and my NAS's folder path is listed in the CMD pop up window. d) is yes also. I don't use any other credentials for the NAS folder. And I agree, network sharing with Windows is finicky.

This problem of mine is not a big deal. Most likely it's something to do with security settings of my system. The work around for me is to remember when I reboot I have to open MCEBuddy to the NCUC, click ok, and restart MCEB. Not a big deal, I was just wondering about it.
Thanks for your time and the program.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM
that's really wierd, because clicking Ok doesn't establish the connection. Only when you click Start it reconnects to the NAS based on stored credentials. So if the credentials are stored there is no reason you need to re enter it.

Can you upload a link to your mcebuddy.log file that will tell the story of what's going on.
TRy this. reboot hte computer, once it restarts ensure the engine is running (start) and then upload the mcebuddy.log file (don't reenter the credentials after the reboot).

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Is it working now? If not I hope you've got the log file

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM
One reason it may not be working is after reboot once mcebuddy comes up the network connection/drive isn't available hence it can't connect / authenticate it.
Try this, after a reboot, just click stop and then start. It should force a reconnection/reauthentication, see if that works.
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM
It is still doing the same. I just remember after a reboot to stop MCE, go through the NAS credentials, and start MCE. Works fine like that.
I do know about the MCE log file and how to view. You made a very nice click place on the front page of MCE to get to all the logs and such. I noticed that my MCE log file is 6.3mb in size. If I delete the log file will MCE make new one and smaller in size? Or shall I upload the current large log file?
Thanks for your concern.
David

On 7/8/2014 4:27 AM, rboy1 wrote:

Is it working now? If not I hope you've got the log file

-- 
God will not force Himself upon anyone against his will.
It is your part to believe. It is your part to receive
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 3:40 AM
just zip and upload it. You can't delete it while mcebuddy is running. it automatically clears when it hits 50mb FYR.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Wow, I did not know the zip file would be so small. Let me see if just attaching works.

On 7/9/2014 4:40 PM, rboy1 wrote:

just zip and upload it. You can't delete it while mcebuddy is running. it automatically clears when it hits 50mb FYR.

-- 
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM
I got the log zipped but I don't know how to upload it. Sorry
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM
you can't attach it to the forum unfortubately. You can upload it the mcebuddy server upload folder (see the read me thread) or upload it to dropbox and post the link here.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Trying this to give access to my MCE log file after a computer reboot without touching MCE: FILE
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM
This is good. The issue as you can see below is that either the network share isn't available or you're using an incorrect network path/name

2014-07-09T20:16:25 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Attempting to connect to network share \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public
ERROR> --> Unable to connect to network location \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public
Domain name:FARRINGTON
Username:paiadave
Password:***********
Return code is 53
The network path was not found

I'm assuming GOFLEX_HOME is a valid machine name, please confirm.
Also, do you have a domain server setup called FARRINGTON? If not then why are you using a Domain name?

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Oh, domain versus workgroup. Looks like I got them confused. My computers have a workgroup of FARRINGTON, not a domain. Ok, I will remove FARRINGTON from from the MCE network share user/password box and see if that fixes my trouble. I will just leave the question of domain blank. Right now I am recording a show so I will let you know tomorrow.
And yes, GOFLEX_HOME is valid.

On 7/10/2014 9:06 AM, rboy1 wrote:

This is good. The issue as you can see below is that either the network share isn't available or you're using an incorrect network path/name

2014-07-09T20:16:25 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Attempting to connect to network share \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public
ERROR> --> Unable to connect to network location \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public
Return code is 53

Also, do you have a domain server setup called FARRINGTON? If not then why are you using a Domain name?

-- 
Jul 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM
Son of Gun, you hit a home run. Probably usual for you. Taking out the Domain got MCE to work automatically again after a reboot. My problem is solved. Thank you so much for work with me.
Aloha.

On 7/10/2014 9:06 AM, rboy1 wrote:

Return code is 53

-- 
Marked as answer by PaiaDave on 7/11/2014 at 7:02 PM