This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Comskip not creating Videoredo VPrj

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM
In my INI file I have output_videoredo=1 .. but comskip is not creating it. I am using Donator Version.

CriminalMinds-S02E05-TheAftermath-13997921-0.mpg-Rename Sage Shows-2014-07-01T11-17-43.4969875-07-00.zip
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2014 at 3:43 AM
There is something definitely wrong the way MCBuddy runs comskip. If I run comskip outside of MCEBuddy it honors my ini and creates VPrj. Also The colors on the timeline are off and if I hit the left arrow it goes back to the beginning of the file playing and not to the beginning of the last commercial. So for now I will run comskip as a batchfile.

You can easily test this by running Comskip with output_videoredo=1 inside MCEbuddy and outside you will see the differences.
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM
attach your conversion log (post a link or upload it)

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Uploaded to NYPLAYER folder MCEBuddyComskip.zip. It has both runs the MCEBuddy Comskip and the regular comskip outside of MCEBuddy. Also uploaded the ini file using Donator version of comskip.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Are you replacing the comskip.ini inside the mcebuddy installation folder?

Also even if the vprj file is created, it will be created in the temp folder and MCEBuddy does not copy the vprj file. You need to write a custom command to copy the vprj file after the commercial detection is over.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 7/8/2014 at 9:38 AM
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Yes I am replacing the ini in the mcebuddy folder and I do have a custom command to copy it just does not create it. Have you tested this ... to see if the VPrj is being created? I will look at my copy custom command further.
Jul 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM
my Apologies I see it is being created so my Custom command is being executed too late. I have to figure out how to copy it from the working folder.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 7/8/2014 at 9:38 AM
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Try using PreCommercialRemovalCustomCommand

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I found out what is causing my skipping problems and timeline problems in SageTV. For some reason when you run comskip in MCEBudy it does not write a CRLF at the end of the EDL...might b a permission problem.. Yet when you run comskip out of MCEBuddy it writes the CRLF at the end of the EDL. This difference can be viewed with notepad++. Adding a CRLF at the end of the EDL file corrects the problems.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
That's true, MCEBuddy rewrites the EDL file to validate and clean it up. When it does it only writes a LF and not CRLF.

Will correct it, you can test the new build this evening and let us know.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Ok thanks will gladly test it.

Edwin Perez AKA NYPlayer

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I tested it and it failed it did not write the CRLF... If you open the EDL in notepad++ it should have a blank line as the last line in the EDL.

I have a working around for it for now but I will await another fix.

INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0 (WIN_8_1_2013_SERVER_R2, Professional)
INFORMATION> --> Windows Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Version : 2.4.1.0
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Date : 07/09/2014 14:08:40
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Running as Service : True
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Can you check what build you used. Actually I just put up the new build a few minutes ago

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Not working re- downloaded 10 minutes ago.

INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0 (WIN_8_1_2013_SERVER_R2, Professional)
INFORMATION> --> Windows Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Version : 2.4.1.0
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Date : 07/09/2014 14:08:40
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Running as Service : True
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Okay found the issue and fixed it. You'll find the new fix in today's build.

Marked as answer by nyplayer on 7/10/2014 at 8:20 AM
Jul 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM
It works thank You.
Marked as answer by nyplayer on 7/10/2014 at 8:20 AM
Jan 2 at 1:14 AM
Hello,

I have a similar 'no .vprj' file issue. I'm attempting to use MCE Buddy just to monitor a folder which would use Comskip to create a .vprj output.
Using Comskip directly it works as expected.

Reading the information above, I've set a temp folder for MCE Buddy and inside this I can see a .vprj file is created briefly towards the end of a job (great).
However, I can't see an option for it to be kept as it seems to delete itself along with the other Comskip logs once the task has finished.

Ideally it would be the only item moved to the output location (and not the .ts files), but just keeping hold of it would suffice for now. How do I go about doing this ?
I've tried various settings in the GUI, and I'm not doing any encoding / just Ad detection.

Kind Regards,
Toffs
Jan 2 at 2:12 PM
  • This is using the paid For / Donator version of MCE Buddy & Comskip.
Jan 5 at 7:02 PM
Edited Jan 5 at 9:34 PM
Bump - can anyone help ? :)

Many thanks
T
Coordinator
Jan 9 at 4:13 PM
You will need to write a custom command using PreCommercialRemovalCustomCommand as @nyplayer has done to copy the file. See the advanced documented on creating custom commands.
Jan 12 at 8:48 PM
Edited Jan 12 at 9:06 PM
Hello, thank you kindly for the point in the right direction.

I've been looking at this the last couple of evenings, and whilst the information is all very detailed and interesting I'm not a skilled developer :(
So, from what I understand these 4 commands are required:

PostCustomCommandPath=<Full Path/Relative of the executable>
  • So am I pointing to the ComSkip.exe here, maybe something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\ComSkip\comskip.exe" ?
PostCustomCommandParameters=<Optional parameters to be passed - see below for list>
  • %vprjfile% ?
PostCustomCommandHangPeriod=<0 or +ve number>

PostCustomCommandCritical=<true or false>
false

Next up, there's a beautiful page you've kindly written about 'A quick view of the high level conversion process'.
From this and other information I'm lead to believe the commands should go in the 'profiles.conf' I think, though I can't grasp exactly where.

I'm using the [TS Unprocessed] profile, so I assume in here somewhere, maybe in between these two commands:

ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true

So if I got that right, it looks something like this in that profile:

ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
PostCustomCommandPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\ComSkip\comskip.exe"
PostCustomCommandParameters=%vprjfile%
PostCustomCommandHangPeriod=300
PostCustomCommandCritical=false
FixedResolution=true

And by doing this it should keep the vprj file that's required ?

Sounds great, but it doesn't work for me at this time. Any pointers would be most welcome !

Many many thanks,
Toffs
Coordinator
Feb 5 at 10:59 PM
You're on the right track but there's no variable called %vprjfile%, see the documentation and examples on teh variables available and how to manipulate them