This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Need help with hardware encoding.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I have a home server with a xeon processor (Ivy Bridge) without video and no video card (I run headless).

For quicksync do I need a processor with integrated video? Can I use a video card (I have some spare 210, 520, 610 and 5450 cards)?

If I can use either integrated or dedicate video, which would be faster?

Currently my hour TV programs take 1 - 1.5 hours to fully convert and remove commercials.

I have a workstation MB- Supermicro X9SAE with a C216 chipset that's suppose to be the same/similar as Z77. The processor is a Xeon E3-1220Lv 2.3GHz dual core w/HT (17w)
Coordinator
Aug 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM
It depends upon how your bios and OS takes it. We don't have a test system here with a similar configuration. So speculating as long as handbrake is able to access the quick sync drivers and the drivers are able to access the hardware it should work. You can try it and upload your log file and it'll show the complete picture of what's happening.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Please don't post the log file. Upload it to te server or a public site and post the link. We need to see the conversion log.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Here's the most recent conversion log of the last video converted.

TEXT
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
You are using a build that does not support hardware encoding update to the latest 2.4.1 build and then post the conversion log

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Okay, I just did a quick recording after installing 2.4.1BETA. I noticed this file is much smaller that other files of the past.

TEXT
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Your hardware does not appear to support intel quick sync. See the log around timestamp 11:53:06

Also it appears you aren't logged into the system. That is a pre requisite for using hardware encoding unless you are on windows 8.1 or later (windows limitation. See FAQ for more details)

You are using Ivy bridge chipset. It should support so either your drivers aren't correct or you are not logged in or your hardware doesn't support it

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:47 AM
On quick sync, will it work without video? I have no video on my home server.

As for logging in, I don't manually log in. I just remote it when I need to from one of my other computers. I have no way of actually logging in. It has no video output, no keyboard, and no mouse connected. Just an ethernet cable only.

I may not have drivers installed on my home server, except for what windows update installed. I think I have nvidia drivers installed for when I first installed win7. Once it was installed I pulled the video card to save power and just ran headless. I did dig up my GT 520 video card and will try installing that tomorrow.

When I pit in my video card tomorrow, will I need to reconfigure mcebuddy, or will it auto config HW acceleration for me?

Thanks for taking your time to help me.
-=Mark=-
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM
After updating your intel graphics drivers (read FAQ) You will need to connect a monitor to your intel graphics output (not nvidia) to activate it. Read the FAQ for headless configuration.

If you're using windows 7 or older you will need at least one user logged in remotely or locally using the terminal (remote). These are all windows limitations.

If all this is setup there are no mcebuddy changes required.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Like I said already, I have no Intel graphics on my system.

Shouldn't the nvidia hw accelerator work the same? I thought that was all quicksync was suppose to be?

Do you have the link for the headless configuration? I have looked over this discussion section and the documentation section and couldn't seem to locate the it.

From what I can tell I may need a new processor with integrated graphics. Ivy Bridge processors seem to be the best. Will an i3 be enough? Will more cores and HT make it significantly faster? Will the system benefit much from the addition of an added video card? If so, is nvidia or ATI a better choice?

I checked my log and noticed my 30 minute video took 1.5 hours to complete. I also noticed it was recording 5 shows in a row. I assume it was just being slow from recording another show while processing the previous show(s) all at the same time.

I also have a new issue. I may have misconfigured mcebuddy the last time I reinstalled windows, but it now starts recording late (a minute or two), but even worse, it won't stop recording for around 15 minutes after the show is over. This may even be another issue of my long conversion times when recording multiple shows in a row.
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM
MCEBuddy does NOT do the recording, it isn't the problem for your late start late stop. I believe what rboy is telling you is that you have to have the right driver for your onboard video and you have to at least temporarily connect a monitor to activate the onboard video. You do not need an external video card, I don't have one and don't have any issues. On my system, recording multiple shows hasn't really affected the processor speeds, but it does affect your network traffic and possible your hard drive speeds if everything is being recorded, processed and saved to the same drive.
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Right and as of now there is no added benefits for a second card. Intel chsipsets haswell or ivy are the best for quicksync encoding right now.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Okay, I have installed mcebuddy on my other computer that has hd 4600 graphics and finally figured out how to enable quicksync.

I have recorded a show and it says quicksync is enabled in the log, but it take just as long as before, maybe longer?

Maybe I have things misconfigured. I just used all defaults of mcebuddy and made no modifications at all.

Here's my log file. Maybe someone can make heads or tails of why it is still doing the same things.

TEXT

My new system has an i3-4340 cpu (3.6GHz), 8gb ram, Asus Q87M-E M, a 240gb ssd. So this cpu is faster and has quicksync. I also have a Zotac GTX 650 ti video card, but the intel graphics and nvidia graphics are connected to the same monitor.
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:24 AM
This thread is full of miscommunication. One key point: a graphics chip is required for HW acceleration. The whole point of HW acceleration is to use the graphics hardware instead of just the CPU. Your headless Xeon server without an IGP or a GPU can not use HW acceleration, regardless of drivers, because it lacks the hardware. I'm surprised you didn't read that info when you searched the forum.

Personally I would just remove the Nvidia card from the new computer. There are workarounds for getting your new computer to use the Intel graphics for HW, but then you're supplying electricity to a video card that isn't being used.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/11/2014 at 7:36 AM
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:31 AM
Also, if the new system is using the CPU, a higher clocked dual core without hyperthreading may not be faster than a lower clocked dual core with hyperthreading.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM
The link is invalid. Try uploading it to dropbox or the mcebuddy server.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Here's the link again. not sure what happened last time.
TEXT

I couldn't figure out how to upload to early access, so I just used filedropper. Dropbox looked too complicated to figure out and didn't have time to read through on setting it up correctly. Is there a document on how to upload to early access? I couldn't seem to find one.

@Mike_Ekim

I found so many conflicting posts on quicksyc, nvidia, and ati I couldn't determine for sure. The articles on it said I needed the proper chipset for quicksync to work, so figured that may be the key. It turns out no, you need a 2nd gen core i series processor or newer with integrated graphics. also, nvidia and ati do not support quicksync as it is an Intel proprietary system and they'd need to get a license from Intel to use it.

Opengl can be used in place of quicksync for the video cards, but it's much slower than quicksync, at least on lower end video cards. not much info at all on video card testing other than quicksync.

That new system isn't for my server, it's a spare computer I use for things other than gaming, which I have a gaming computer for that. I plan on replacing the xeon chip in my server and wanted to know if a larger (more cores/threads) would be useful. It seems it would as only part of the conversion preocess in done by the gpu, unless I misread that somewhere.

My server will take a core i series processor, so I was thinking of the i7-3770T (45w) or the i3-3225 (only i3 with a 4000), or thier are some laptop processors with a tdp of 17watts and a 4000 gpu.)

That's if I can get this new machine to run faster than the server. So far it is much slower for some reason. I'm hoping it's some settings I need to configure.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM
So it looks like your hardware encoder is working now, see this from the log:

2014-08-06T11:46:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> [11:46:36] + encoder: H.264 (Intel Media SDK)

your average encoding rate is 30fps. This is on the lower side, why I cannot say, maybe your GPU is being used by something else, maybe the drivers aren't correct or your chipset hasn't been initialized. Your monitor connect to the intel graphics output?

The upload instruction to the mcebuddy server are given in the ReadMe thread. you can upload using FTP or using explorer to drag and drop the files into the upload folder (early access server).

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Okay, I changed the files from mp4 to mkv as it's suppose to be faster. I chose the medium mkv as it said it was one pass and it processed my 22 minute video in 8 minutes!

TEXT

I think I'll go ahead and get that ivy bridge processor for my server now.

Thanks for everyone's help
-=Mark=-
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM
I was playing around some more and my times for processing are all over the place.

I downloaded and installed gpu-z and it show my iGPU is only clocking to 600Mhz for some reason.

I went into the BIOS and manually set it to 1350MHz and it still only runs at 600 MHz

I thought maybe GPU-Z was only for nvidia and AMD graphics cards and found a newer version of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and it also reports that the iGPU is still at 600MHz. Not sure what to do. I even stressed the CPU to see if was having a light load it would clock down the video. Same results. Then I stressed the iGPU with kromtor (furmark) and still 600MHz.

Anyone know of a way to trick the iGPU to run at full speed. Even if it's full time? I couldn't seem to find any turbo modes in the BIOS as this is an i3 and not designed for overclocking.

Thanks for any help
-=Mark=-

ps, my board is an Asus Q87M-E with i3-4340. I tried installing the Asus AI Suite 3 for overclocking/monitoring, but it keeps crashing for some reason without error.

pss. I just rebooted and now furmark runs at 1200MHz, but MCEBuddy is stuck at 600MHz when I quit furmark. MCEBuddy seems to not be enough load and it just idles during the converting.

Is there a setting in mcebuddy to make the igpu force full speed while converting?

psss Here's a log for a recent video.
TEXT