This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

WTV to MPEG2 to H264.WTV and keep metadata

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I want to use 3rd party software, TMPGENC Smart Renderer, to cut commercials. Then use MCEBuddy to create an H264.WTV file. I'd like to do this and retain the metadata that displays show title, episode title, and synopsis in Windows Media Center. The information is lost when using TMPGENC so I'm wondering if this process will work:
  1. MCEBuddy: WTV to WTV unprocessed but extract metadata. Produces NFO metadata file along with the WTV file.
  2. TMPGENC: Load WTV file and manually cut commercials. Outputs an MPEG2 file.
  3. MCEBuddy: MPEG2 to H264.wtv. Specify "Write Metadata"
  4. Do the MPEG2 and NFO metadata file need to be in the same folder?
  5. Do they need to have the same file name, except for the .mpg and .nfo extensions?
Am I missing something?

Just so you don't think I'm wasting crazy amounts of time, on step 2, after the commercial cuts are specified, the compilation is very fast (<2 min). Since the input is already MPEG2 in a WTV container, TMPGENC can compile without reencoding, except for a few frames at the commercial cuts. It just has no capability to output in .WTV, so I get an MPEG2 file.
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM
yes same folder and same filenames.

Use the new 2.4.1 build today and we've added support to read back the XBMC created by MCEBuddy when you enable the Save information/metadata option.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/11/2014 at 7:37 AM