This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

How do I determine my opencl version number?

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:08 AM
I've read the hardware endcoding faq here: https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/549347

Specifically:
If you have an older CPU like a Pentium/Core/Core 2 and good graphics card from Nvidia or ATI, then you may want to add -U the end of the handbrake-video line in the profile. This will enable hardware decoding. This ONLY works if the GPU is more powerful than the CPU, it will reduce the performance on new CPU's which are much more powerful at decoding compared to graphics cards.
If you have a newer graphics card (very powerful) which supports OpenCL 1.1 then add -P to the end of the handbrake-video line in the profile. This works if you're using cropping reducing the video size (or the profile is using lookahead). Again, this will help only with a powerful graphics card with OpenCL drivers. If used on a weak graphics card it can reduce performance.

I have a vostro 220 with a core2duo 32 bit system to which I have added a MSI R6450 1GB video card which on the box states it supports Direct Core and OpenCL however nowhere on the box or on google can I find anything that identifies the version # so while I feel safe in using the -U parm I have no idea if it's appropriate to add the -P

I am running the latest ATI Catalyst drivers available for the card as well as 2.4.1. beta of the mcebuddy. Can someone direct me to the info? I don't want to risk messing up my conversions.
Sep 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Ify ou open the conversion log and look for OpenCL it'll give you the details
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/13/2014 at 7:45 AM
Sep 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Thank you. It was indeed v1.1 so I added the -P parm as well. Maybe a future update could be to allow checkbox's for it in settings and apply it to ALL profiles.conf rather than requiring the user to update each handbrake video line manually? Of course while I'm dreaming I'll wish for a method where it could do a before/after opencl encode of say a 5 minute video clip and compare the encoding times which would let it determine if opencl is beneficial or not. I realize that's probably unrealistic but perhaps it will get brains thinking in the right direction. Thanks for the assistance. The log should have been obvious but I forgot totally about it since I was deleting original and log after conversion.
Sep 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM
The issue is not the checkbox for adding the -P and -U, it's knowing when to add. We have some cases where the system doesn't report the OPENCL version numbers and that's problematic.
And like you've seen the user needs to test his systems given the relative power of CPU v/s graphcis to see if it would make a difference (or slow it down). Hence we finally decided to leave itupto the user to modify the profile manually (it needs to be done only once).

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM
It's more that just a one time event isn't it? The profiles.conf has to be checked every time you upgrade MCEBuddy to make sure no profiles were added that also need adjustment or in major upgrades the entire profile.conf might have to be redone because a new one comes along with added switches or programs. I thought that was the whole point behind having "expert settings". I understand your reasoning. I just think leaving it a manual process increases the risk of errors. For example while using a linux editor I enabled word wrap so I could see the whole handbrake_video line....well in the linux editor "Kate" it actually wordwraps the file unlike notepad on windows where it only alters the display...so when I saved it my whole profiles.conf was hosed and I had to restore from backup and do the whole process again. Obviously my case is a special situation since most folks run windows only where all my other pc's on the local lan run linux and I was editing via a samba share connection but there have to be other scenario's as well.

In any case I'm thankful to see my encoding has sped up significantly on this older HTPC since my Zino 410 decided to play with lightning and fried the wired ethernet port.
Sep 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM
IN this discussion: https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/437207

you mention "ffmpeg opencl" but I don't see any reference to it in the hardware encoding faq....what has to be added to enable opencl support for ffmpeg?
Sep 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM
It's a custom compilation It enables it by default if the system supports it, no specific flags required. However personally I've noticed that handbrake manual options are more effective than ffmpeg. You can try it and compare the same profile with ffmpeg and handbrake and post back your results.