Two questions about moving files and renaming

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Hello. I love this product so far. It's working really well on cutting commercials for me so far.

I have two questions that may be a setting I am missing somewhere.

I have MCEBuddy set up with two different tasks. On one it monitors my recorded TV folder (Recording with NextPVR). I have that task set up to cut the commercials and leave the file otherwise unprocessed. That all works fine, names it fine, etc.

However, when it moves the file to my TV Series folder that I have Plex monitoring, it won't put the file into an already existing TV Show folder with subfolders that are by the season. It either creates a new folder or it dumps the file by itself outside of all of my other folders. Is there something I am missing or does MCEBuddy not do this part?

The other task I have set up is having MCEBuddy monitor a folder that I download TV Shows to. The program I use to download the video file names it like this: Seinfeld s1x02 The Soup Nazi.avi. I don't like that naming convention so I wanted MCEBuddy to just rename files in that folder to Seinfeld s01e02 The Soup Nazi.avi. However, instead of renaming I end up with a file that reads like this: Seinfeld s1x02 The Soup Nazi se.avi. It looks like it's putting the s and the e at the end of the title in an effort to rename but not able to do it for some reason.

Is there something I need to set up for it to do the above?

Thanks.

-Jason
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM
What version of MCEBuddy are you using? If you want the folder structure enable the option for Organize by Seasons or Use MC Compatible renaming in the conversion asks (depending up on the version you're using).

As for your AVI's, the AVI file doesnt' contains any metadata typically so MCEBuddy can't look up the season and episode information from the internet (it needs 2 pieces of information, Title and Episode name or original broadcast date). Hence the SE is basically a blank season and episode.
Nov 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Thanks for your quick response.

I recently downloaded version 2.41 Beta.

I will look for the option that you're talking about and test to see if it does what I am trying to accomplish.

On the AVIs: Ok, so MCEBuddy will only read based on metadata? I guess I thought it may read also from the name of the file itself. Fair enough, I will see what other solution I can figure out on that one.

Thanks,

Jason

Edit: Ok, I just opened the program and the option for Organize by Season is grayed out and won't let me select it. If I deselect Custom File naming it will let me select that option.

So, what I gather from that is I need to let it organize by season but will that give me the naming order I prefer? Ie, Show Title s01e01 Episode title?

Jason
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:12 AM
I just ran two tests on an episode of Arrow that I recorded last week via NextPVR.

My first test was to put it in a test folder by itself and see what happens. I selected the option "Organinze By Seasons" and also selected the option rename without converting since I had already used MCEBuddy last week to cut the commercials. This test gave me the following folder structure: Arrow/Season 3/Arrow-2014-11-16 1911.

I thought it would give me the file structure as it shows when I hover over the Organize by Seasons option, ie, Arrow s03e04 Magician.

Ok, that was the first test. My next test was in another test folder I created that already has a folder Named Arrow (2012) and inside of that folder is another folder named Season 3. In that test I ended up with a new folder outside of my existing folder named Arrow-2014-11-16 1911 and then the file itself inside of that folder with the name I ended up with in my first test.

I am not sure if this program will accomplish what I am trying to do which is move a recorded TV file from my TV Recordings folder, rename it and place it inside of my already existing TV Series folder with all of my TV Shows already in that folder. Will the program find my already created Arrow (2012)/Season 3 folder and place the file in there without creating a new folder structure of it's own?

Jason
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:46 AM
I don't understand what you're trying to do here. Also please attach or upload your conversion log so we can reference it while trying to debug this.
Nov 17, 2014 at 1:27 AM
Maybe I asked too many questions at once above.

Let's start with the main thing I am trying to accomplish:

I have a folder on my f: drive that is where I store all of my TV Shows that are recorded or downloaded. These are set up with the naming conventions recommended by Plex Media Server instructions. In the TV Shows folder I have folders for each of my TV Shows (The Simpsons, Arrow, The Flash, etc.). In each of these folders I have another folder for each season of that show (Season 1, Season 2, etc.) and in each of the Season folders I have each video file named as "Showname" s01e02 Episodename". This is where the final destination of any TV Shows I record or download will end up in.

I have MCEBuddy monitoring my Recorded TV folder which is where NextPVR is set to record my shows to. That is more or less a temporary holding folder until MCEBuddy can pick up the newly recorded show, rename it, cut commercials and move it over to another folder. Right now I have it moving the file to another temporary folder that I then manually cut and paste it into it's correct TV Show/Season folder in the main folder I mentioned above.

What I would like to have happen is that I don't have to manually move a file from that temporary folder after the file is handled by MCEBuddy. I would prefer to move the video file directly to the Final Destination folder titled TV Shows and input into it's (already existed, not created newly) corresponding TV Show folder name and correct season folder.

Right now if I try to do it that way, MCEBuddy will instead try to create it's own new folder in that final destination folder titled as to whatever the show name is. Then I end up with two folders for the same TV Show when it's done that way.

I am not sure how to upload my log, I don't see an option anywhere for that. I pasted it at pastebin and here is the link: http://pastebin.com/VCLeL90S

If that isn't how you want the log let me know how to upload it.

This log is from a conversion I just did on tonight's episode I just recorded of The Simpsons. I created a Test Folder to test what I am trying to accomplish.

-Jason
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM
that's perfect, you log shows you are using a custom rename. Instead use the Rename by seasons options and it'll organize it exactly as Plex needs it, showname\season x....

The destination folder should be root folder (say D:\PlexVideos) it'll create (or use an existing) showname folder (The Simpsons), then create (or reuse) the season folder etc.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/17/2014 at 10:27 PM
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:36 AM
Thanks.

I think I know what may also be the other problem as I have tried some test files with the custom renaming unchecked and the Organize By Seasons checked and it still would not place the file in an existing folder.

However, based on what you are showing me and based on re-reading the Plex website on naming conventions I should leave off the year on the TV Series folder. In other words, I have been naming the folder, say "Family Guy (1999)" and I should change that to "Family Guy" and leave out the year. I think that is the other thing confusing MCEBuddy when it tries to move the file into that folder.

I only starting adding the year after the name of the show because occasionally Plex will not recognize the show properly if I don't do it that way. A perfect example the the TV Show "Castle". There is an American TV Show of that name and a British TV Show with that name and Plex always picks the British version if I don't add the year. However, I can just manually fix the few shows it does that with and all should be good.

I am going to record another show tonight and rename my existing folder without the year and set MCEBuddy to Organize by Season and see what happens. I will let you know if it works correctly.

Thanks for helping me with this.

-Jason
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:11 AM
Ok, after recording, cutting and moving 3 of my TV Shows tonight I think I have this figured out now.

I found out that I also had to change my season folders to have two digit numbers in them. They had been set up as "Season 1, Season 2", etc. but I had to change them to "Season 01, Season 02", etc. It is now putting my files where they should be.

Thanks for helping me with this, it was driving me crazy trying to figure out the problem.

By the way, is there any possibility of setting up a task that would rename a video file based on it's title as opposed to just the Metadata? It would be nice to set up a separate task just for that from my folders that I download videos to as opposed to the ones I am recording.

-Jason
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/17/2014 at 10:28 PM
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:28 AM
What do you mean by Title? ShowName, Episode Name or filename? You can achieve all 3 using Custom Renaming options with the latest 2.4.1 builds
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:30 AM
jasonmcroy wrote:
Ok, after recording, cutting and moving 3 of my TV Shows tonight I think I have this figured out now.

I found out that I also had to change my season folders to have two digit numbers in them. They had been set up as "Season 1, Season 2", etc. but I had to change them to "Season 01, Season 02", etc. It is now putting my files where they should be.

Thanks for helping me with this, it was driving me crazy trying to figure out the problem.

By the way, is there any possibility of setting up a task that would rename a video file based on it's title as opposed to just the Metadata? It would be nice to set up a separate task just for that from my folders that I download videos to as opposed to the ones I am recording.

-Jason
BTW if you want season with 2 digits you can use
%season%##
each # represents a digit, so ### would be 3 digits.
Nov 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM
What I mean by renaming files by title only is when the video does not have metadata in it as you mentioned to me in an earlier answer. In other words, a video file (like an avi file) that is improperly named when downloaded (Simpsons s01x3) that doesn't contain metadata. Can mcebuddy organize it based on the file's title and rename it that way?
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM
No MCEBuddy has limited title parsing capabilities. It's very complex to parse unknown title formats.
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM
That is what I thought. At least those files are in the minority so not a big deal.

Thanks.

-Jason