This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Increase Video Quality

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I am currently using a custom profile here: TEXT

I have FixedResolution=TRUE.

I saw in a another post that moving the Quality/Resolution slider in MCEBuddy will not have an effect on the quality with that set to True? So would the only way to increase quality be to change the bitrate, trellis, 8x8dct:ref, and bframes to higher values?

Also, I have Hardware encoding selected in the MCEBuddy GUI. I do not have a GPU just an Intel i3-2100 so it is using Quicksync which doesn't allow 2-pass. What would produce higher quality: Quicksync-On with 1-pass or Quicksync-Off with 2-pass?
Nov 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM
No it will still adjust the bitrate/quality (constant) if the slider is moved. MCEBuddy basically changes the bitrate to adjust for changing resolutions, so if the resolution is fixed mcebuddy assumes the the use has a fixed profile that's optimally set and won't finger with it. This has nothing to do with user selecting an increased/reduced quality from the slider.

As of 2 pass, software encoding quality is always slightly better that hardware encoding (even 1-pass to 1-pass), hardware encoders are optimized for speed and not quality (yet), but the difference is minimal. BEtween 1 pass and 2 pass you will see a significant difference ONLY at low bitrate or low resolution. At higher bitrate (>1 mbps) and HD resolutions you won't see much difference between 1 and 2 pass. So it's a trade off, are you making an archive quality conversion or just watch and delete.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/22/2014 at 8:34 AM
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Okay, thank you. I will leave hardware encoding on for now for the sake of speed.

Next question, the output MP4 is H.264 High @ 3. What number in the command line do I change to make it Level 4 (H.264 High @ 4)?

handbrake-video=--start-at duration:1 -e x264 -b 2500 -x me=hex:trellis=3:subq=8:partitions=all:8x8dct:ref=6:rc-lookahead=50:keyint=25:keyint-min=20:bframes=4:weight-b:level-idc=40:b-pyramid=normal:direct-pred=auto:mixed-refs:deblock=-1,-1:nofast-pskip:nodct-decimate:b-adapt=2:threads=auto
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Edited Nov 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Ah... so simple!

However, when I increased some of the settings after '-x' in the command line it automatically went up to level 4 without having to add '-h264-level 4.0'.

Thanks!