This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Missing season and episode numbers.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:09 AM
I keep getting emails of tv shows not having season or episode numbers.

I finally added showname to the filename so it will convert all of the shows still without overwriting the same one over and over..

How do I fix this? Only a couple car shows from the Velocity channel do this. The rest of my shows have no issues.

Anyone know how to get the season and episodes?
-=Mark=-
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM
You need to find out first why MCEBuddy isn't picking up the numbers, are you getting a reponse from the websites or is the metadata not matching or is the metadata missing on the websites.
Nov 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM
lol, that;s just it. I don't know where or how to find this info. I'll search for metadata threads as that may help.

In the email, it states that I have: all of the major episode info, just the season and episode are both zero. I'll paste the email as it is fairly short.

Source Video -> G:\Recorded TV\Wheeler Dealers_HDT_2014_11_23_15_00_00.wtv
Failed At -> 2014-11-23T18:24:13
Title: Wheeler Dealers
SubTitle: Corvette C4
Description: Mike Brewer purchases a 1984 Corvette C4.
Network: Velocity
Parental Rating: TV-PG
Media Credits: ;;Mike Brewer/Edd China;
Genres: Series,How-to,Reality
Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\Wheeler Dealers.jpg
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2009-06-30T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2014-11-23T15:00:02
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T16:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Sorry that doesn't help. Use the latest build and upload the conversion log. That will provide the necessary debug details. Latest build is important.
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Here is the log file for the most recent error. It is from the "Wheeler Dealers" Show, which is from most of the email errors I receive, and is the same email message as above.

TEXT

This should hopefully be from the latest build. Unless one was released in the past few days.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM
In this case it didn't match because the episode name on the website is "Corvette C4 (Part 1)" and your metadata said "Corvette C4" and also that the original broadcast date didn't match.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/14/2014 at 9:48 AM
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering how it finds all the data except the season and episode.

So, is there a simple fix? or is it just being broadcast wrong by comcast, or maybe the recording is that way. Maybe since it's British that maybe there is an alternate american version?

anyway, where does it get this data from? and is there more than one site it can check? maybe it can check one site, if it's wrong, then it can try another site.

I see another episode where it states ", Part 1" so it uses a comma separator instead of two parenthesis. Maybe the comparison can take into account of different separators? of course it could't take into consideration of a missing part 1 or part 2 as it wouldn't know which version. I do see a lot of (part 1) episodes in my good wheeler dealer episodes. so it seems some are named correctly. just some use commas separators instead of the proper parenthesis.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM
MCEBuddy checks about 6 websites and we keep adding more as we are able to (bandwidth, time and support). We do take into account minor changes like extra special characters like!, however in your case there are extra words like part 1 etc which can't ignored.
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Yes, I understand the extra word part. If it;s not there you can't match it. I was referring to the way pert 1 was presented.

It find shows with the added

(Part 1)

but not shows with
, Part 1

Here's the email report
Source Video -> E:\Recorded TV\Wheeler Dealers_HDT_2014_11_05_04_00_00.wtv
Failed At -> 2014-11-05T04:58:06
Title: Wheeler Dealers
SubTitle: Mercedes Cosworth, Part 1
Description: Mike purchases a Mercedes Cosworth that needs a new suspension system and track rod end.
Network: Velocity
Parental Rating: TV-PG
Media Credits: ;;Mike Brewer/Edd China;
Genres: Series,How-to,Reality
Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\Wheeler Dealers.jpg
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2007-10-20T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2014-11-05T04:00:02
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T16:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2014 at 1:37 AM
We are kinda limited by the .NET framework, we obviously can't write custom functions for everything so we use the next best option. Right now we are using string compare with ignore case, ordinal compare and ignore special characters. That's pretty the much the best option we can find. However if anyone has better ways to do the comparison (please send us the code) we'll be happy to incorporate it.
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I am having similar kind of problems with a couple of TV-shows that I am regularly recording and converting.
This is especially true for Bones, which runs different seasons in Denmark at the moment.
What constantly happens is that the reruns of prior seasons, will end up with an episode name and season and episode number that is far off.
As an example from today, Bones season 1 episode 18, will end up as Bones season 9 episode 18.

When it comes to the new shows (season 10) the file name will up with the original Danish episode name, like "Bones - Amerikansk krimiserie (Sæson 10 Episode 5) - SE"

I kind of get it, why it happens, because there is not much help in the XML data passed to MCEBuddy, so I guess it is kind of a miracle that anything at all gest written in the file name.

But what I am curious about is why there is such difference with what appears to be the same input.

Also, when I look in the log files, I can see "WARNING> --> Unable to connect to TV.com".
Is there an obvious reason for this, since I am able to access the web site from the computer which also runs MCEBuddy?

I am running MCEBuddy 2.4.1 64bit - 20141119.

Br.
Niels
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Connection issues are typically with the website being down or a local connection issues. We see this happen all the time on our test computers and it's always a configuration issue or a loose network cable/wifi interruption.

as for why you get wired data, the only way to get to the bottom (and improve MCEBuddy algorithms) is to indivually look at the files that aren't working. Can you uplaod the conversion log of some of hte files which don't get the right data or get the wrong data/lanugage and we'll look into to it and see how to make it more accurate.

By default MCEbuddy cycles through all the languages possible on the websites looking for a match (remember MCEbuddy users are from 100+ countries and we that many languages so we look up all possible matches)
Dec 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Hi

Thank you for your reply.
Is there an easy way to upload the conversion logs to the site?

I understand the importance of accurate data to be able to eliminate problems.

BR.
Niels
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Did you read the Read Me Before Posting Thread on the main discussion page?

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/395631
Dec 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Well, clearly not :o)

Files on the server now.

Please let me know, if you need additional information.

Br.
Niels
Coordinator
Dec 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
I checked theTVDB.com this is what it's showing:
8 x 7 The Bod in the Pod 2012-11-19
If that incorrect you need to contact thetvdb to have it corrected, unfortunately MCEBuddy can only take what's it's given :) - it can't verify the veracity of it.
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the result is based on:

OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2012-11-19T00:00:00?

Or how does the search in TVDB.com Work?

How does the search string being passed to TVDB.com look like?
Dec 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
I looked at the meta data of the recorded show and the OriginalBroadcastDateTime (2012-11-19T00:00:00) appears there as well.
Maybe the problem is originating from my supplier of guide data, which is timefor.tv.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 2:04 AM
Yes that's correct, search the forum for thread which explain in detail how the dates are matched. (first match)
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Is the OriginalBroadcastDateTime kind of a last resort for matching data against the different databases?
I have uploaded a couple of examples to the server, one where the filename is almost correct, and one where it failed on some parameters.
It is in the "Bones" directory.
Sep 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but was unsure if proper to start a new one again.

I've been having issues with my system and decided to subscribe to epg123 in hopes I could get proper data for better conversion.

It of course reset my recording schedule so it is recording all of my shows again, and now I get tons of s0e0 and wrong SeriesPremiereDate, as well as, an incorrect originalBroadcastDateTime.

I was wondering whsat is reporting these wrong times? I thought epg123 was suppose to get the original dates right, over WMC's built in Rovi? It seems the same info.

Or does epg123 have anything to do with it? Or do I need to configure epg123 for mcebuddy?

I find a line for epg123 in the log, so it seems to recognize it's installed.

WM/WMRVServiceID: !Service!EPG123_31046

I also notice most of the failures seem to be in the name description as a multi-part episode. Most listed on guide as part 1 or part 2. But mcebuddy log file always seems to have (1/2) or (2/2) or similar.

I guess is epg123 going to help, or did I waste my money?

Also, I can't find, "File Splitter" in the upload folder. It wasn't in the downloads section of the website either, so I couldn't upload a section of the tv show. I did upload the log file to

ftp://mcebuddy@files.mcebuddy2x.com/upload/Discussion%20-%20572953%20-%20Missing%20Season%20amd%20Episode%20Numbers/ Let me know if I need more info or create a new thread.
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2016 at 4:04 AM
The file splitter is linked directly from the downloads page, here the link:

Go ahead and upload a 10MB chunk of the original file to analyze.

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2016 at 4:09 AM
Okay skip that upload, checked out your logs. Couple of things:
1. You're on a BETA build upgrade to release 2.4.5
2. I don't see anything in the metadata that has season/episode info embedded hence nothing to work with

You may need to configure EPG123 and I'm sorry we can't help you with that, maybe some of the folks on the forum can help out. I know a few folks have used it and based on their samples we added support in MCEBuddy to extract the info.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:44 AM
I'll upgrade to 2.4.5 and hope that help.

Is the metadata added by comcast during broadcast? or will epg123 do that?

I'll check some more on that. I just keep getting these errors in my email on unable to download series information..