This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Conversion to mp4 is not HD

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM
I'm just an old guy trying to unhook from our cable & have stumbled on to almost having it working. I have an antenna with SiliconDust tuners and I use WMC on Win7 to record. I can record and playback in WMC just fine with HD resolution. But I mostly want to watch recorded HD TV on my Samsung big screen but I can't seem to get HD working. The picture size is correct for HD but it is blurry.

I've tried 5 different programs for converting wtv files from WMC to something that Samsung will play. MCEBuddy is the best so far and I really like the automatic 'service' feature a lot. Especially since WMC won't save files to my network drive.

I set the conversion for MP4 High Quality but the resolution is not HD on my TV. I use the Samsung AllShare feature which finds my videos on my network drive and plays them ok (except for low resolution).

Well these are all the acronyms I know and understand so any help will be appreciated.

Video Codes supported by my TV but not understood by me.
1920 x 1080
  • DIVX
  • 3.11/4.x/5.x/6.x
  • MPEG4 SP/ASP
  • H.264 BP/MP/HP
  • Window Media Video v9
  • MPEG2
  • MPEG1
    640 x 480
  • Motion JPEG
  • VP6
  • VP8
User manual also includes these notes:
  • Supports up to H.264, Level 4.1.
  • H.264 FMO / ASO / RS, VC1 SP / MP /AP L4 are not supported.
  • For all Video codecs except VP8, VP6:
    Below 1280 x 720: 60 frame max
    Above 1280 x 720: 30 frame max
  • GMC is not supported.
  • Supports only SVAF Top/Bottom and Side by Side.
Thanks,
Dennis
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM
MCEBuddy by default limits the resolution to 1280x720

Open the conversion task settings, click on Advanced Settings -> Move the Max resolution slider all the way to the right to keep the original resolution.
This will work only if your original recording is in HD. If you original recording is less than 720p then it won't work.

Also try moving the quality slider to the right, that will help improve quality significantly. BTW you don't need to use High Quality profile, MP4 Normal will do just fine (high quality is used when the originla video is of poor quality). Just increase the quality and resolution slider.

You may want to try the MKV Unprocessed profile also, that works great on Samsung TV's
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/16/2014 at 5:52 AM
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Thanks rboy1, that did the trick.
I changed the conversion to MP4 Normal as you suggested.
Then I slid the quality to 100%
At first I tried the size slider at the extreme right (5360) but my TV couldn't play the file.
So I backed it down to 1280 and that worked ok.

Now I'm trying to figure out why the CC is 15 secs ahead. (CommSkip on).

Thanks again for the quick response and guidance.
Dennis
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM
See the sticky thread on subtitle sync and offsets