This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

handbrake transcodes not streaming via DLNA correctly

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM
I've found that I'm having to transcode using ffmepg because handbrake doesn't appear to work correctly.

First a little background about my stack.

I'm using makeMKV and WMC to create my files. makeMKV is ripping my dvd's and bluerays and WMC is grabbing tv shows off of a HomeRun Prime. I have MCEBuddy watching two different folders. One for the TV shows and one for movies as I rip them. MCEBuddy then puts them into two different folders that PLEX is monitoring to add to my media collection. Last, I use a Sony Blueray and a Panasonic Blueray player to stream the content from PLEX over DLNA.

For both TV and the movies, if I let handbrake do the transcoding in MCEBuddy, then the video starts off playing super fast. It then goes to the correct speed for playback, but the audio sync is way off. This oddity only seems to happen on the Panasonic blueray player.

However, if I let ffmpeg handle the transcoding, then all the files play fine on both blue ray players. The only thing I did in the config file was swap the order of the software in the list. to be used.

I'm not really sure how much of a problem this really is. My system is rather beefy and most 2 hour DVD's transcode in 20-30 minutes, blue rays in 30-40 and 1 hour TV shows around 20-30 also.

I mostly just thought it odd the two transcoding software produced different results.

I have a second oddity where the audio being produced is only showing up as stereo even though the info on the TV shows aac 5.1. Though this may be something the blue ray player is doing. I'm still troubleshooting this.
Coordinator
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM
What profile are you using? If it's MP4 try adding the "-O" flag to the handbrake-general line and see if that helps.
What version of MCEbuddy are you using? Try the latest 2.4.1 beta build it has a new build of handbrake which may fix some issues as well.
Jan 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Thank-you for the information.

I finally got around to trying out the Handbrake with the -O option. I had some shows record last night. They seem to play through Plex clients fine.

Unfortunately, it may be a moot point. I ended up replacing the Panasonic BlueRay player with a Roku 3. Now that all my movies are ripped, I don't need the blueray players in every room with a TV. At some point, I'll plug the Panny back into a TV and see how the new transcodings work.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:54 AM
We've fixed with newer builds in 2.4, now -O is added by default to MP4,M4V and MKV profiles
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2015 at 5:54 PM