This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

External XML Files in Conversion Process

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Okay so I've tried searching for a few hours and tried many different things but I can't seem to get MCEBuddy to read the XML metadata file that I place directly next to the source file in the monitor folder.

I downloaded a series from youtube that has a TVDB id and everything and I'm can't find any program to embed the data in the files before conversion (easily at least). So I found one that can pull whole series data as individual XML files. According to the advanced docs:
If you're using a WTV or DVRMS file, then MCEBuddy will extract the metadata from them directly.

Otherwise, MCEBuddy looks for a XML metadata file along with the original source video (with the same source video filename). It uses this file to extract Metadata information for non WTV/DVRMS files.
For ex. I have "Freeman's Mind - S01E01 - Episode 1 (480p WEB-DL).mp4" as the file and I've tried "Freeman's Mind - S01E01 - Episode 1 (480p WEB-DL).xml" and "Freeman's Mind - S01E01 - Episode 1 (480p WEB-DL).mp4.xml" and its still just ignoring that file and trying to extract data from the source file which all it gets is a title that equals the filename.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a specific format for the xml file? Thanks any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM
What XML format are you using? Attach your XML file to analyze.
Dec 17, 2014 at 2:31 AM
I uploaded it to the server under dir "Discussion 575594 - XML Sample". And after I posted the message I dug much deeper into older discussions and realized that not all XMLs are created equal lol. And Im pretty sure thats my issue but I couldn't really find program or script that would be able to auto generate some acceptable XMLs for MCEBuddy to understand. The only one I found generated its files like that, and since MCEBuddy doesn't understand that format its not picking them up.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM
What tool are you using to generate this information and where is the metadata coming from? If there is a specification for how the tool works we can look at adding support for it.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM
If you don't have the specification then we will need lots of different sample to reverse engg it. Make sure all the different types of metadata options are selected.
Also we will need multiple samples of movies, tv shows, series, documentaries and sports programs to effectively make this work
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2015 at 5:55 PM
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Its called TVDB XML Fetcher Tool (Link). Apparently someone created it for use with WDTV Live Streaming Media Player, but it downloads the xml in that format straight from theTVDB I believe.

I've tried MetaZ and it seems to work when I overwrite the existing tags in the file however it gets tedious since I have to edit each one and its only for OSX which means I have to transfer data back and forth between my laptop and windows box in order to have mcebuddy convert the files with better tags so plex doesnt get confused.

I know its a very specific use case for myself, so I'm not expecting anything, just wondering if you knew of any way to find the proper metadata for my files and either pass that as a file for mcebuddy to properly embed or another one that embeds many files before I send to mcebuddy. I have about 6000 files that I'll be reconverting and wanting to clean up. Thanks
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM
What's your source files? WTV? How are you recording it? We're okay adding support for this tool just need the specs or samples as mentioned above.
Dec 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM
I have no recorded shows, all are either rips or downloads and almost are all in either mkv or mp4. I feel its too much trouble to implement something just for my use case.

I did some more testing and since my files are storing the episode name in the title tag and show name in the subtitle that MCEBuddy is failing when it comes to searching online. I wanted it that way because Plex uses the title tag for displaying episode names. However when you switch it around and use the show name as the title and episode name as the subtitle, MCEBuddy succeeds in the online metadata search and appropriately fills in all other data, then running a post custom command from another discussion I found it puts the episode name back in the title tag.

This seems to work fine for me, would have just liked a more automated way since I still have to use my mac to insert the metadata properly in my original files.

Also if you could answer a question for me, what happens when a file contains no metadata and the filename is in a format like Show Name - SXXEXX - Episode Title? It just won't search or add any metadata correct or am I missing something. Because I've seen it requires at least 2 pieces of tags like show name and original air date.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 4:30 AM
MCEBuddy has limited file name parsing capabilities. You can see the other threads on what naming formats mcebuddy supports. and yes it needs 2 items to lookup infromation.
  1. Show name
  2. episode name or original air date