This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

comskip questions

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:15 PM
I recently donated to get the latest version of MCEBuddy. I really like it so far, but the main use I had in mind for it was to convert my .wtv files into .mp4 files without commercials. I understand that there is some tuning involved with getting comskip perfect and that each channel might need some tweaking in order for it to work correctly. I am fine with doing this (though I have a lot of reading to do to figure out the different options with comskip), but I wanted to know how best to test it.

Mainly, what is the fastest way to get an .edl file to be used with Custom Cuts? I imagine that I don't need to convert anything with this, just analyze the show and get the .edl file and see if the cuts are where I need them to be. If so, I have the .ini correct and I can process files. If not, I didn't waste much time and I can tune and try again.

Is there another way that would be better/faster?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Customize your INI files and create a task with rename only option checked, and enabled comskip on the task. This will run comskip and save the edl file with the output file (same as original just with a different name). Infant if you leave the destination directory blank and uncheck the rename option (leaving rename only checked) it'll just run comskip and put the edl file with you original file.
If unsatisfied with the edl file, delete it and try again with the new INI

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/31/2015 at 9:44 AM
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Thanks rboy! That is what I was looking for. It takes about 12-13 minutes to process about an hour file this way. If I got the donator version of Comskip, is the only difference is that it would process faster?

Also, I figured out (probably obvious to most) that I could just drag and drop my test file onto MCEBuddy and it would process it. I didn't run into the issue where I would have to make a new directory in order for MCEBuddy to recognize it when monitoring folders.
Jan 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM
I read in the documentation for comskip that there is a debug log generated. How do I see this with MCEBuddy?
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2015 at 5:08 AM
Write a custom command to save it. That's the only way

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM
A custom command with MCEBuddy?
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2015 at 5:28 AM
Read the documentation please - > Advanced Command page