This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Copy Protected Files - Error not converting

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:22 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2015 at 11:24 PM
hi

downloaded and installed latest version 2.4.1 via early access program
what a fantastic program to give access to DVR on my iphone via PLEX. however i am constantly running into ERROR: VIDEO IS COPYPROTECTED. CONVERSION WILL FAIL and no conversion happens for 80% of my files.
please advise how to fix it

RUNNING CETON INFINITV ON CABLECARD
useing MEDIA CENTER ON WINDOWS 7 MACHINE
ALL FILES STORES LOCALLY ON USB ATTACHED STORAGE
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM
-removed
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM
--REmoved-->
Mar 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM
You really should read the faq to know that you are not supposed to be posting all the log files here.

Your cable company is flagging your content as copy once. Windows media center can play and record with no problems, but the files are encrypted. There is nothing that mcebuddy can do about it.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 3/4/2015 at 9:10 PM
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:10 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2015 at 5:13 AM
To add to what @tsigwing has mentioned you could talk to your cable company to turn off encryption on your channels. Some FTA channels are required by law not to be encrypted and depending upon your cable company you may have different mileage with them on getting this turned off. See this thread for details
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/437546
and
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/442231

See this thread for a WTVStreams remuxing workaround and ignoring copy protection incase your card is "accidentally" marking the content as encrypted when it's not really encrypted:
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/448585

@tsigwing - the other option I'm thinking of, instead of using MCE to record, which creates WTV files with the encryption, how about using MediaPortal to record the TV in a TS format. I've never seen MediaPortal create encrypted files.
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:41 AM
If the video truly is copy protected (encrypted) there is nothing you can do about it. The only option is to try and select the option to ignore copy protected in the expert setting page and see if it works. Search this forum for more details on this topic.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Okay to answer my own question, taken from this forum on MediaPortal and copy protected files (also known as copy once).
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/ceton-infinitv-6.126971/
With a CableCARD you can't get video on demand (VOD) or any other service/channel that requires two-way communication between the tuner and the cable headend.
You'll almost certainly find some channels can't be viewed or recorded unless you use WMC. That restriction will apply to any channel that is flagged as "copy once". MediaPortal (and NPVR, Sage, MythTV etc. etc. etc.) can only access "copy freely" (maybe encrypted, but not restricted) channels; WMC can access "copy freely" and "copy once" channels. Exactly how channels are flagged varies from provider to provider and area to area. For some providers/areas all channels except locals are flagged as "copy once"; for others only a handful of premium channels (eg. HBO, ShowTime etc.) are "copy once". No way of knowing unless you can get the information directly from Cox or somebody else in your area (which is not so likely on this forum).

Consider switching to a more PC/CableCARD friendly provider like Verizon or Comcast.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/the-best-worst-cable-companies-for-tivo-owners/
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Thank you tsigwing and rboy for taking time for this. As I understand is that I cannot watch the media I pay for the way I want to watch. I have to watch the way cable provider and media owners want me to. As they would say also that I also have "freedom" NOT to watch it (I don't have choice of other cable/FIOS in my area and satellite providers are no better).

just for background- my goal is and has been for last 5 years to watch my DVR recordings off line in GYM and while travelling .have 4 TV in house including home theater and idea is also to have same media available throughout the house (and Off line on tablets in sync) with a remote which can be used by my 9 year old child. have no interest in ripping copyright media and would be happy to pay for any app these companies can give me to watch and delete within their app (DirecTV has an app but DOESNOT WORK. somebody who made it does not use it himself I bet).
I tried when Ceton TV first came out and was in their wait list for 6 months. after spending top$$ on MCE box and 2 Xbox 360 as extender- threw it all out because it was too buggy and rest of my family could not juggle with frequent errors and hanging etc.
tried DirectV genie with "offline mode" but found it to be extremely slow and unpredictable in getting new recording.

I was excited to see MCEBuddy2x and revived my idea of MCE . bought a ceton Ethernet box and setup on relatively fast computer but then...reality struck
Am used to warning like "to copy your NON COPYRIGHT DVDs Only" on DVD cop software etc. To be fair, none of documentation on front page of the project mention that Encrypted Channels would not be converted. , I 'ASSUMED" that it would convert all .wtv files- Having said that I don't regret obtaining a great software for very little money in donation. Whatever limited use I may have for MCEBuddy2x . It is a fantastic software for people who can use it. commercial skip is flawless. I don't know if I would stick with MCE when it does not offer me anything more than owning a cable box and DVR except technical glitches. Xbox ONE even dropped MCE extender capabilities and now my son has to fumble with more remotes than ever
wish you luck MCE developers hope Microsoft would get its act together and harness it for its full potential before Apple comes out with more POLISHED product
Mar 5, 2015 at 2:09 PM
its unfortunate, but its the way the cable companies operate. I am lucky for now to be on Fios and they only flag premium channels as copy once. If/when the change I will probable just abandon cable completely.

I have both cable and an antenna. I have set up WMC to use the antenna whenever possible (shows like Gotham and Empire). For those shows, mcebuddy will continue to work no matter what. You may want to check out that option. Here is the tuner that I am using: http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hdhomerun/