This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy plugin for MediaBrowser

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:13 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM
Hi,
Longtime user of MCEBuddy and MediaBrowser. I was wondering if you would have any interest in developing a plugin for MediaBrowser? MediaBrowser has a very basic auto organize function, that could benefit from metadata, file renaming "magic" in your program. Let alone the conversion stuff. Just thought I would ask? Posted the same comment on the MediaBrowser site in this topic [http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18930-tv-metadata/)]

Maybe you guys could collaborate on something.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2015 at 4:16 AM
Definitely open to exploring the idea, I think it's a good one. After reading the thread I didn't quite undersatnd what level of integration you're talking about. What would you like MB to do via MCEBuddy? - Rename the files?
Mar 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I think there are a couple of opportunities for integration. MBS tries to appeal to a wide range of users from the out of the box type to the enthusiast So Maybe initially a subset of just organize functionality. A short big term win would be better handling of wtv files in MBS. There are also big opportunities for file conversion as MBS is in the process of adding sync to local devices. That opens other cans of worms so maybe a down the line thought. Me personally I want it all, lol

I started a topic on the general discussion section of the MBS forum at TEXT there a couple replies from "Luke" he is the chief guru for MBS. Seems you already have contributed to MBS, see also. TEXT, Not a programmer so not exactly sure what that is other than Good!

Don't know how you would like to proceed from here. I am happy to facilitate. Let me know where is best for discussions to move forward, here, MBS or offline. As you see from my post there, I am looking for an experienced MBS plugin developer as a reference for you, maybe Luke will be it don't know yet.

Many thanks! Hope this happens.
-Vicpa
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM
In the interest of simplicity (not that I'm against any integration but usually that's a complex and big task) how about just have mcebuddy convert and rename and put the output into a folder that MB monitors. What's the downside to that approach?

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Hi,
Nothing at all, that's what I do now... Rename, convert (and with your help have a custom profile for AC3 in mp4's). Just have to tweak the scheduling on both sides a little. MCEBuddy is such a great tool and a lot of MediaBrowser users are already using it like that. I was thinking for the novice user, who just relies on the MB ecosystem it would fill a gap and introduce you to the MB community formally. Additionally introducing MCEBuddy users to MB. Hopefully generating more users/donators for both projects. I am a supporter both here and on MB. I realize there is no such thing as free software, there is always some overhead.

There is good synergy between the projects. MBS tries to do just about everything in the Media Server space. Overall it does a pretty good job, but you guys are really good, There are a 100 plus MB posts about organize, can I remove commercials, converting files. Then there is hardware transcoding (which currently is not supported in MBS) Just thought there was some nice opportunities for both projects. Kinda like your approach of using best of breed tools.

Me I am always looking for nirvana one interface or control point, but I realize that is way beyond current discussions.

Thanks