This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Conversions Not Starting

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:01 AM
Hi,

For some reason, in recent versions it seems that conversions are not starting as expected (based on the wait time after the WTV file is generated / closed). It used to work, just not in recent versions (i.e. no changes to config, just a newer install).

Are there particular things I can check, to see what is going on?

Thanks!
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:22 AM
Free disk space, conversion schedule and lock on files. Nothing else will impact it if no configuration is changed.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:50 AM
Sorry, not very clear - my fault! Auto-conversions is the issue ... if I manually select the file (in the targeted directory) - the conversion runs fine. But it never seems to auto-detect the new file and start on it's own.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM
if you open mcebuddy.log and search for the filename that you think should be picked up by MCEBuddy automatically, it'll show you why it isn't being picked up. It's possible that file has already been converted (or attempted conversion and failed/cancelled) in the past.
Again the file will you.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:43 AM
Yep, looked at that - but not much in the file. It doesn't even look to be scanning. Let me keep an eye on it for a bit, then I'll report back.

Thanks!
Apr 22, 2015 at 3:52 AM
Hi,

OK - I manually recorded a show, then stopped the recording. Checked MCEBuddy - no conversions (and delay is set to 0 hours). So I manually rescanned -> no luck either, and nothing even shows up in the log. Here is the log - nothing at the end when I manually scanned,

INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0 (WIN_8_1_2013_SERVER_R2, Professional)
INFORMATION> --> Windows Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Version : 2.4.2.0
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Date : 04/16/2015 19:05:36
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Running as Service : True
INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0 (WIN_8_1_2013_SERVER_R2, Professional)
INFORMATION> --> Windows Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Version : 2.4.2.0
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Date : 04/16/2015 19:05:36
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Running as Service : True
INFORMATION> 2015-04-21T21:49:44 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Checking for new version of MCEBuddy

Thoughts?
Apr 22, 2015 at 7:19 AM
2 possible reasons:
1. The folder / file extension isn't being monitored, which you can verify from the settings
2. The file is locked by another process in which case it won't log it, it'll just ignore it

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:37 PM
Apr 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM
Yep, makes sense - but neither of these seem to be the case ... :-(. I did change the log level to Debug - and when I force a Rescan, no message at all in the log.

Shouldn't I at least get something in the (debug level) log when scanning? It's like the scan isn't happening.

Thanks!
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:38 PM
If it's locked it'll only mention it once and never again to avoid infinite loops. The best way to check. Stop MCEBuddy Service, delete your log file, start MCEBuddy service. Now check your log file. Make you it's set to monitor the files/extensions/paths.
Apr 28, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Hi,

Did as you said ... stopped the service, deleted mcebuddy.log, and restarted -> no joy, and I don't even see it scanning. Manually rescanned, still nothing. I did click to manually add a file, and it opens the right directory, and I see files there ... but it doesn't convert them (automatically).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:21 AM
You will need to upload your mcebuddy log to the server. Make sure it's set to debug

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Will do! Do you mean to the Early Access directory, inside Upload?

Thanks!
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:48 AM
No just the upload the directory, it's outside early access

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:11 AM
OK, done (arrmo-mcebuddy.log). Yell if you want me to try anything.

Thanks!
Apr 29, 2015 at 3:25 AM
it's showing a bunch of files it found but all had been previously converted. Are there any additional files which you're trying to monitor. Can you share the name?

Try one more thing, create a new directory and a new monitor task to monitor that directory. Copy/move the file you want to "monitor" into that folder and see if it works. The idea is to try to find out why your folder isn't working.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:37 AM
Hmmm ... very interesting. OK, your comment gave me an idea, so here is what I tried ...
  • recorded a new program
  • stopped the service, deleted the log file, restarted it all
  • then checked the log file
And here is what I got,
2015-04-28T21:31:03 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> File D:\Recorded TV\Golf's Greatest Rounds_GOLFHD_2015_04_28_21_27_33.wtv has been converted and archived, skipping

Just like you said, it is scanning - and sees my brand new recording ... and says it has converted it. But it hasn't!

Thoughts?

So then I just left it all running, and recorded another new show. No conversion started, so I rescanned, and again got,
2015-04-28T21:36:03 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> File D:\Recorded TV\Tennis_TENISHD_2015_04_28_21_35_36.wtv has been converted and archived, skipping

But also here - this has not been converted yet.
Apr 29, 2015 at 3:46 AM
since it's a WTV file I'm assuming that the files names aren't identical to previously recorded ones. (some programs do that for which we have provided an option to ignore previous conversions in teh monitor task expert settings).

Try this, click on the history link on the top left and click on Clear History and try it. Possible your history file is corrupted and causing the issue.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:51 AM
You're correct about the names - and I also recorded a new program ("Tennis" above) that I have never recorded before ... to try to make sure.

I cleared the history, then tried to to rescan -> nothing in the logs, not even a check (another issue?). So then I stopped and restarted, but get the following,
2015-04-28T21:49:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> File D:\Recorded TV\Tennis_TENISHD_2015_04_28_21_35_36.wtv has been converted and archived, skipping

And I checked - the history is blank.

Thanks!
Apr 29, 2015 at 4:15 AM
My bad didn't read your log carefully. it's saying that the file has been archived!

Your settings shows:
Archive Folder -> D:\Recorded TV

It's not converting because the files are in the archive folder. Why did you set your archive folder to your recording folder? MCEBuddy won't convert files in the archive folder (to avoid infinite loops)

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM
Interesting finding! I admit, not sure why this setting is the way it is (I haven't set it as I recall, and I don't archive -> not enabled, so don't check this?). But in any case, I went in to the conversion and changed it ... still no joy.

I still set it set under System Settings (Archive Folder) ... but it's disabled, I can't edit it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM
you have to change the settings, doesn't matter if it's disabled. MCEBuddy won't touch files in the archive directory.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Enable the option, goto the settings, change it and then disable it.
I think thought this warrants a fix in the next build to check if archiving is enabled before checking for file directories. Thanks for bringing this up.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Funny - in parallel that's what I did (enable, change, disable) -> now it works, thanks!

And glad I could help. Excellent program, awesome support. Thanks so much!!!
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM
You can use the new build, the issue has been fixed.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/29/2015 at 5:30 AM