This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Video/Audio Quality after conversion

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:50 PM
So, I am getting to the point where my hard drive is getting full of wtv files. MCEBuddy has been great about renaming (all I have done so far) them and putting them in correct folders.

Apart from getting a larger hard drive (which I will do), I want to start saving some of these files in mp4. But, I don't want to lose quality, both video and audio. Looking at the video, most are in 720p (1280x720) and have two audio channels (AC3: stereo and 5.1).

I have tried MP4 High Quality as well as a MP4 with AC3 audio and both shrink the size beatifully (around 20% of the original size). But, the video resolution goes to 720x406 and it loses the 5.1 audio channel (and gives AAC instead of AC3 if using MP4 HQ profile).

Am I just getting too bent around the axle with numbers? Are the resulting files still as good as the original? I know I will lose a little quality just from the conversion, but I didn't think it would be this much. Maybe that's the price to pay for mp4 compression.

I'm still pretty new to this, so if my logic/understanding is off, please let me know.

Thanks!
Apr 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM
First up keep your original resolution by moving the max resolution slider all the way to the right.
Second use the MP4 high Quality profile but increase the quality slider to +50%. That should give you the best results with decent size. You can even try MP4 Normal if you want.
I would recommend MP4 with AC3 instead of AAC to have better quality audio but at a higher bitrate

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:29 PM
Apr 26, 2015 at 2:28 AM
Just so I am moving the correct sliders:
max resolution slider is the same as the "Max Width" slider under the Advanced settings
quality slider is the same as the "Quality" slider under the Advanced settings (this one seems obvious)

I don't see any options for AC3. Is there one other than the profile I found?

Also, I found the "Multichannel Audio" box to check. I am assuming this will allow me to keep my 5.1?

Thanks again for your help!
Apr 26, 2015 at 2:48 AM
That's correct use the max width slider and quality slider. make sure you're using version 2.4.2 later As there is a the bug in 2.4.1 with the quality slider

Multichannel audio will enable 5.1 but with the mp4 profile it uses AAC. If you want ac3 you can use MKV profiles or customize the profile yourself.

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM
What do I need to change in order to produce ac3 audio? I have the custom profile I was using before, but I want to make sure I don't mess something up. Also, it was from an older version and I want to make sure I don't mess up any config fields by just copy and pasting blindy. Thanks again!
Apr 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM
See the MKV profile you will only need to change the ffmpeg-audio, ffmpeg-audioac3, handbrake-audio and handbrake-audioac3 lines.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM
One more question. One of the things I have been doing when I have been ripping my DVDs/Blurays is to have two audio files, one AAC stereo and the other AC3 5.1. Is there a way I can do this with MCEBuddy as well? I would like to have them as similar as possible.
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM
This question has been answered a few times, yes it's possible you'll have to customize the profie.
One examples
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/579585

Another one to retain the original audio:
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/565631