This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can you recommend a profile?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM
HI

I've been using MCEBuddy for some time to convert MPEG-2 files in a .TS contained to DIVX in an AVI container which I then edit to remove the commercials.

The s/w I use for the edits is going unsupported (VirtualDub) so in addition to finding a new editor it makes sense to see whether their is a better way of doing the conversions as I would like to stop using AVI's as they are very bad at supporting aspect ratio.

My problem is that I have a highly tuned profile for DIVX which allows me to convert a 1hr programme in about 10mins, I've experimented with some of the other profiles and none of them are as near as fast.

I've an AMD chipset so don't; appear to be able to invoke h/w encoding, so I was wondering if you have any recommendations as to a "best" profile to use.

I'm just sticking to SD content at the moment, all of the programmes are anamorphic 16:9 at either 544:576 or 720:576. I want good quality with a file size of about 1Gb/hour., current recordings range from about 800Mb/hour up to about 2Gb/hour, I currently normalise this through the DIVX Quality setting.

Obviously I am looking for a speedy conversion (I realise that this in it's self can reduce quality).

Many thanks
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:23 PM
First up it would be awesome if you can share your profile for everyone else. Finding perfect profiles are virtually impossible, so this would be great.

DivX is mpeg4 where as most profiles in MCEBuddy are H.264. Those are different codecs. If DivX works for you there is no need to change. H.264 provides more compression, i.e. better quality for the same bitrate (e.g. 700kbps h.264 will look better than 700kbps Divx assuming the codec settings are correctly set), however at the expense of coding time taken.

You can still use DIVX profile but with a mp4 container so it's more universally compatible with editors.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM

I don't think there is anything special about the profile but here it is

[Divx AVI - Q=2]
Description=DIVX Quality = 2.
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid -qscale:v 2 -f avi -flags +mv4+aic -g 300 -dts_delta_threshold 0 -sn
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec libmp3lame -ab 256k
ffmpeg-ext=.avi
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip

PreConversionCommercialRemover=true

My machine is a quad core AMD Phenom 9950 @ 2.6GHz with 4GB ram running windows 7x64

Yesterday I converted a 1 hour 5 min 1.4Gb recording 720x576 mpeg-2 in a TS container with a quality setting of 2. video bit rate 15000 audio 256. The conversion took a total of 11:48 mins. I use quality setting from 1-4 depending on the file,

Warning - I sometimes find that the audio if off after conversion which I fix when I edit the file to remove commercials, I suspect it is a combination of my recording setup and this profile. Doing what I call a full conversion doesn't have audio errors but can take a couple of hours or more to convert.

Interestingly despite the fact that this is a quality based conversion (1 is highest) this profile uses significantly less CPU than for example the MP4 profiles do and runs significantly faster.

I currently use VirtualDub to edit the converted video, this supports smart rendering (and is free) so edits only take about 30s to process.and only the frame each side of a cut is rendered.
Apr 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Unfortunately sticking with DIVX doesn't solve my editing problem as VirtualDub only supports AVI containers. I suppose I could throw it back into Buddy to remux them into an MP4 container, but I've started recording HD content which is H.264 in a .TS container so ideally I would like to have a single editor that does both SD and HD content.

My original thought was to just use H.264 as a final codec but the conversions are so slow I'm not sure that I can keep up with the amount of TV I record daily, my wife has suggested I record less but this is clearly not a sensible solution. Hence the question about profiles.
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM
Divx is faster than h.264 but you lose compression and quality however for SD content the difference is not obvious. I fact the real difference will only be apparent significantly in HD content. Divx HD is like a DVD vs h.264 HD is like watching blu ray. So it's very decent but it all about preferences.
You may want to consider buying an intel quick sync enabled motherboard if you really want h.264 and speed

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:40 PM
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM
May 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM
Can I ask a follow on question.

Why is there such a big difference between my fast profile (above) and the normal DIVX profiles? My profile seems to be about 10-20 times faster than the supplied DIVX normal profile, without hardware encoding.
May 3, 2015 at 1:00 AM
Looking through the profiles it looks like it is the FFMPEG library used, MPEG4 vs libxvid. What I need is something in between, MPRG4 speed but the resilience of libxvid to errors in the file, particularly the audio stream