This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Best settings for HD and SD WTV Files Recorded OTA

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM
Hello
I have installed the paid 2.4 Beta 2 version and the donator comskip (pointing to the installation folder in the expert setting of the profile task page in the section comskip ini); before I start converting a large number of files I would like to make sure I have set the right parameters: 1 hour SD files recorded with the HDHR3 tuner OTA have a bit rate of about 5-600 Mbps (max 15,000 Mbps) and take about 5 hours to convert and remove ads with the MKV NQ profile. The HQ profile takes 6-8 hours and I did not notice a better quality using the HQ profile and the converted video does not fill the TV screen unlike the conversion using the NQ profile.

An HD recording takes about 3 hours with the MKV NQ profile but the same recording takes 15 minutes less if I move the temp folder from my SSD Samsung 840 Pro to my WD Red hard drive. My system: Win 7 64-bit; 3.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965; 8MB RAM.
An HD recording with the MKV HQ profile takes about 3-6 hours depending on the bit rate of the WTV file I guess (Media Info for these files reports an overall bit rate of 1-200 or variable and 15 -80 Mbps maximum bit rate?!)

My questions: are these conversion times normal or can they be improved without upgrading the hardware? What is the recommended type of hard drive location for the temp folder: SSD or mechanical hard drive? Why is the video not filling the TV screen with the conversion of an SD file with the MKV HQ profile? Is it recommended to use the MKV HQ profile for SD recordings or does “poor quality” refer to recordings that have transmission errors? I have noticed one stuck converted file recorded with NQ that did not show up in the same file recorded with HQ (presumably because of the second pass?). Is this a common issue with conversion with only one pass?

Thank you for your consideration
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM
I think you mean to say 15000 kbps, if it's 15000 mbps, wow you will need a biggg hard disk.

Processing time is dependent upon a variety of factors from profiles, to hardware, to bitrates to resolutions. There are different threads on how to optimize speed, please refer to those. Even a sticky discussion on it.

You can definitely improve times by 5x-20x using QuickSync hardware.

Ofcourse the faster the hard disk the faster the processing, esp for remuxing and unprocessed profiles. NQ is best for most videos, there is no need for HQ unless you actually see a significant difference when comparing the conversions (sample/test).

as for HQ not filling the screen please upload your logs for the NQ and HQ conversions (make sure they're set to debug) for the same file so we can compare. There shouldn't be any difference unless you've changed the crop settings or max resolution settings.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:40 PM
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:53 PM
yes I meant 15 Mbps; I read through the threads but I cannot say I fully understand them; it would be helpful to summarize the threads and add the essential info to the manual;
  1. should the temp folder be on my SSD or the Red WD drive? Is there an issue with wearing out the SSD?
  2. Resolution and quality sliders are both at maximum. Are there any clues as to when a HQ profile might be preferable over an NQ profile or is comparing the output the only way of telling? Is comparing identical frames of HQ and NQ output useful here? It seems the HQ profile has a slightly more detail but when I play it is not noticeable in general. If the higher bit rate of the HQ profile does not produce any noticeable improvement how much value is there in the second pass in correcting errors in SD and HD OTA recordings?
  3. I assume that High and Normal priority are identical if no other programs are open?
  4. I have not been able to find any comskip custom inis for the Canadian CBC (OTA broadcasts); I typical end up with 2 to 3 commercials in an hour recording; my expertise is inadequate to tune the ini myself;
    Thank you of the prompt replies, you have created a great piece of software!
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:26 PM
SSD is generally faster so yes, use it
HQ is always better quality at the expense of time, the question is is it worth it for "you". there is no difference in "errors"
you can use the comskip editor to customize the ini for your channel and feel free to share if back if you're able to get it customized to your channel. We'll give you credit and host it on our server with the rest of the ini's.