This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MP4 Rendering Quality Poor with Artifacts

May 31, 2015 at 3:28 AM
I've used MCEBuddy or at least attempted to in the past. It seems like the times I've tested, I tend to get artifacts and such. Not blaming MCEBuddy, more than likely I just am not using the correct profile, so I thought I would ask here. So all of my recordings are .WTV. I've had 2 goals that I think are mutually exclusive: 1) Reduce recording size to save space. I did a conversion of an SD show to divx today and that seems to work well. My other goal would be to convert to MP4 - h.264/AAC for directplay on a plex server. I assume if I did this, it would be nearly the same size file as before but not sure. So I tried to do the MP4 normal quality earlier today and again, this is on an SD video (an old brady bunch episode of all things). When I get done, it has places where pieces of the video seem to hang up within the frame. Not necessarily artifacts I guess but I'm not sure how to describe it. Is this something where High Quality would be needed, even for SD? I am sure if I can get this set up right, it will be very beneficial. Heck, if I'm sure it will do everything I need, I would love to take part in the early adopter program, just need to make sure I can do what I need first - plus when it takes a couple of hours to do a conversion, it would be nice to just not be taking shots in the dark to TEST it! Thanks for your input!
Coordinator
May 31, 2015 at 11:52 AM
High quality definitely helps for video who's quality isn't great or has issues. Have you tried it? Sounds like a good candidate
May 31, 2015 at 10:42 PM
rboy I haven't. I will have have to give that a try to see how it does.
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM
So here's something odd. I ran the high quality and still had problems. Lots of inclusions or artifacts. This was on testing by just double clicking which played it in WMP. So Just out of curiousity, I play it via plex, which is direct place since it is mp4. It looks perfect, no problems at all. Then I tried to play it through Windows Media Center with the same issues I had in windows media player. So any suggestions as to why this would be? It appears the problem may not be the final product at all, but how Windows is rendering it.
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM
if that's the case then it's like a codec issue and some settings. mp4 is very complex type of codec with many different settings. there are different codecs out there for mp4 decoding and not all are equally good, quite possible some setting in the encoder isn't properly supported by the windows foundation codec (assuming you're using windows 7 / 8).

Can try a simpler profile or create a custom profile until you find something that works for you.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:29 AM
I was just coming to the same conclusion! Also after I posted, I read about people having problems on certain AMD cards. I thought my driver was fairly up-to-date, but I was wrong, it was old. Updated the driver (which also came with an mp4 codec ) and now video looks great! Going to push my luck now and try normal quality to see if that holds. Thanks for the suggestion!
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/15/2015 at 10:38 AM